IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

HQPlayer always puts modulators and filters on the same respective cores (but separate of course). Since with most CPUs (apart from 9900KS) maximum Turbo frequency is limited to one or two cores, allowing dynamic clocks makes it possible to reach higher clock boosts on the high demand cores because low load cores can run at lower clocks and voltages. This in order for the CPU to stay within specified TDP and power limits.

Note the TDP difference of 127W for 9900KS vs 95W for 9900K.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

31 minutes ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer always puts modulators and filters on the same respective cores (but separate of course). Since with most CPUs (apart from 9900KS) maximum Turbo frequency is limited to one or two cores, allowing dynamic clocks makes it possible to reach higher clock boosts on the high demand cores because low load cores can run at lower clocks and voltages. This in order for the CPU to stay within specified TDP and power limits.

Note the TDP difference of 127W for 9900KS vs 95W for 9900K.

I don't suppose you are tempted to try using cores differently to maximise potential of the 9900KS are you? (I have one, of course!)

23 minutes ago, craighartley said:

I don't suppose you are tempted to try using cores differently to maximise potential of the 9900KS are you? (I have one, of course!)

There's not really much to do with 9900KS, it is easy because it can run all-core boost. The ones that are limited in this respect are more challenge and also benefit more from GPU offload because it reduces load on other cores allowing higher boost on the modulator cores.

5 hours ago, jabbr said:

Which filters do people like best?

EXT2 / EC7 combo is good with my Lampizator DSD only DAC.  I keep going back to an old favorite poly-sinc-shrt-mp, but also go back and forth with the lp version.  Some like XTR a lot and it is good with the dCS.  I also keep trying the EC5 vs EC7.  Previously it was noted that the 7 may be better for 1 bit processing DACS and 5 for multi-bit.  The dCS Ring DAC is a multi-bit.  No conclusion yet.

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm a big fan of MP filters so far. 

Jussi says they have the best transient performance.  Some people call them soft or diffuse.  @Jud, who has time / phase coherent speakers, has said he likes LP filters.  With my Wilson speakers both sound great, to me.  On some recordings LP filters get a little harsh.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 9:36 PM, Miska said:

There are two things; 1) doing filters to rate X and 2) doing modulator at rate X.

(1) can utilize almost any number of cores while (2) cannot and depends more on per-core speeds.

GPU is especially good at (1) having a lot of parallel cores. While CPU with low core count and high clock speeds is good at (2). Hence the combo. Although something like W-2245 gives nice compromise between the two with AVX512. 9900K(S) leans a bit more towards (2) but not too much different.

Jussi, are there advantages with the EC modulators using a CPU with AVX512 compared to a CPU with AVX2?

For example https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Xeon-W-3235/3334vs3601

4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Jussi, are there advantages with the EC modulators using a CPU with AVX512 compared to a CPU with AVX2?

For example https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Xeon-W-3235/3334vs3601

It is more of advantage for filters than for modulators. But EC modulators can utilize AVX512, but due to clock throttling the difference is pretty minor. My development machine at the moment is HP Z4 workstation with Xeon W-2245 (and GeForce RTX2080). Performance in terms of modulators doesn't differ so much from i9-9900K.

I can try some benchmarks later to see how they perform compared to each other. My challenge is that none of my W-2245, i9-9900K and i9-9900KS are running same OS. So differences may as well be due to different OS.

On 4/20/2020 at 2:46 AM, AudioDoctor said:

Poly-Sinc_Short-mp here!

transients are SHARP!

That has been my very long time favorite. Now I'm trying to make up my mind between poly-sinc-short-mp, poly-sinc-ext2 and sinc-S.

I didn't expect at all ext2 to challenge short-mp, but somehow it does. For classic prog rock albums (Pink Floyd's Meddle), short-mp is still my favorite.

I have not made up my mind with sinc-S yet. I would say it is good if you find ext2 a bit too gentle and want something more aggressive.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

That has been my very long time favorite. Now I'm trying to make up my mind between poly-sinc-short-mp, poly-sinc-ext2 and sinc-S.

I didn't expect at all ext2 to challenge short-mp, but somehow it does. For classic prog rock albums (Pink Floyd's Meddle), short-mp is still my favorite.

I have not made up my mind with sinc-S yet. I would say it is good if you find ext2 a bit too gentle and want something more aggressive.

I am on sinc-s right now...

No electron left behind.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

... I didn't expect at all ext2 to challenge short-mp, but somehow it does. For classic prog rock albums (Pink Floyd's Meddle), short-mp is still my favorite.I have not made up my mind with sinc-S yet...  I would say it is good if you find ext2 a bit too gentle and want something more aggressive.

Spot on Jussi. I listen primarily to rock & have found all these settings to be excellent for that genre. Current rank for me: ext2, sinc-S, short-mp.

Meddle was my 1st PF vinyl purchase back in the day. One of These Days is an all-time fave. The Later Years has a cool live version of One of These Days. Heard a Hi Res version of it on Qobuz yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update : i7 6700k users dont despair if you hv a lousy PC with an underpowered MOBO like my Lenovo!

You can run DSD128 EC7 if u upgrade your cooling system and Overclock

My 6700k : Noctua NH-U12a new!

I took my GTX 970m out of the case with a PCie x 16 extension cable! This allowed a DIY mount with 2 xNoctua A14 to add cooling blowing at the CPU cooler to be added! 

2 more 8 cm fans also DIY mounted blow at the VRM 

I use intel Xtreme Tuning Software

Core 1 x 4.6 ghz

Core 2 x 4.5 ghz

Core 3 x 4.3 ghz

Core 4 x 4.3 ghz

Core voltage offset .0.1 v - (1.2+0.1=1.3v)

Turbo power profile from default 49.25 watts push up 60 watts

From a cold start I can run DSD 256 EC7 for about 10 min w/o stutter! Heat Soak sets in.

The CPU fabs spin up fast and the Sound stutters every so often! Not stable!

From a cold PC .. DSD128 EC7 poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2 can run stable w/o stutter for 1 hour more  

Heat Soak creeps in and sounds a rare occasional stutter every 10min then stable again!

My tests shows older PCs need watercooling if u want to overclock above 4.6ghz to play EC7!

I pushed my PC to 4.8 ghz and had to do a Bios reset to boot my pc !!!

My new 10700k /AorusZ490Ultra/CoolerMaster ML360 AIO watercooler system will solve all of these Headaches

I get all the parts next week to DIY build it👍

same problem here , my I7 6700K can play  16/44  ASDM5EC SYNC S DSD256 but i am at the limit of use , sometimes it stutter sometimes not.

is there a more powerfull Intel Processor i could use without changing the motherboard too ? 

if not what would be the best motherboard for USB audio compatible with the 9900K ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

U can substitute the i7 7700k direct ug into the Z270 mb but i gain 4-7% and 4.2 ghz increase of 4.0ghz!

Borderline improvemt unless u hv your mb with high grade VRM to turbo boost 1st core to 4.8

2nd core 4.7 and the other cores 4,5

then

DSD 256/EC7 may work

Dont bother upgrade the whole shebang like I am doing

Thx

I purchased my 9900-KS back in December (I bought mine for under $500, and now they're getting crazy money for it) but got sidetracked, and haven't picked up all the rest of the parts for my PC build.

Picking the project up again now. I'll be using for my Roon Core as well as HQ player. It's also going to be used for large Photoshop file processing.

Any suggestions on parts that should be updated from my original build plan, or just go with this?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/chrisvh/saved/XDnf99

I am building my i7 10700k HQplayer server this weekend. 

a. Lian Li O11L Dynamic Case

b. Cooler Master M360 AIO

c. 6 nos of Cooler Master 12cm fans

d. Intel i7 10700k 

e. Hypex 3200mhz RAM  2x8gb

f. Corsair HX850 PSU

g. Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra Motherboard

SSD's / OS/ HDD will be salvaged from my existing 6700k server. 

In my experiments Overclocking the 6700k to 4.7/4.6/4.4/4.4 ghz, the Noctua NH-U12A plus 2xA14 cm, 3x12cm and 2x8cm (cooling the VRM) fans has convinced me to go BIG All in One Watercooling. Getting the Noctua NH-D15 would not do.

I dont need a GPU as the 10700k should do the EC7 and non-S filters except the Sine L at DSD256 without CUDA Offload.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Enjoy your build

Kelvin

Just 

8 hours ago, CheapSplurge said:

What are best settings for edm, electronic music, I have a Hugo tt2 as dac. Looking for even more resolution and clarity 

Stick with Linear Phase (lp) filters.  And the non-apodizing ones - they are the ones that don't have an X in the APOD column of the table in the manual.  Maybe try XTR or the Closed Form filters.  You really need to just try them to see what works with your system.  I have 2 DACs that sound best with different filters and modulators.

18 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Stick with Linear Phase (lp) filters.  And the non-apodizing ones - they are the ones that don't have an X in the APOD column of the table in the manual.  Maybe try XTR or the Closed Form filters.  You really need to just try them to see what works with your system.  I have 2 DACs that sound best with different filters and modulators.

XTR is apodising though?