IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

1 hour ago, craighartley said:

Which Noctua cooler do you use? I’m looking for a quieter option for my 9900ks. 

NH-D15 or NH-D15S is a good choice. And then set all fan profiles to "Silent" from the BIOS.

In addition my servers are built into Fractal Design Define R5/R6 cases (there are couple of generations of these) that have additional sound proofing. Case fans are connected directly to the motherboard case fan controllers which are also set to silent profile.

In addition, I use highest efficiency Seasonic PSUs with hybrid or passive cooling. The PSU fan only starts if needed and then from lowest possible speed. Same for the GPU fans on ASUS Strix card. If you overspec the PSU, it has much more capacity than what you use, so it doesn't run as hot either. My latest 1000W one is a really heavy beast. OTOH, if you don't need a GPU, you may be just fine using a fanless Seasonic PSU. Although in my cases the hybrid ones practically operate fanless unless really heavily loaded.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

NH-D15 or NH-D15S is a good choice. And then set all fan profiles to "Silent" from the BIOS.

In addition my servers are built into Fractal Design Define R5/R6 cases (there are couple of generations of these) that have additional sound proofing. Case fans are connected directly to the motherboard case fan controllers which are also set to silent profile.

In addition, I use highest efficiency Seasonic PSUs with hybrid or passive cooling. The PSU fan only starts if needed and then from lowest possible speed. Same for the GPU fans on ASUS Strix card. If you overspec the PSU, it has much more capacity than what you use, so it doesn't run as hot either. My latest 1000W one is a really heavy beast. OTOH, if you don't need a GPU, you may be just fine using a fanless Seasonic PSU. Although in my cases the hybrid ones practically operate fanless unless really heavily loaded.

Thanks. Yes I have the Define R6 case too. What case fans do you use?

I don’t use a GPU and I have a Hydro G 850W Semi-Fanless Modular PSU. 

4 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Thanks. Yes I have the Define R6 case too. What case fans do you use?

It is the silent Fractal Design ones that come with the case. Same ones are also available separately. Noctua has also quiet PWM controlled fans.

Seasonic has nice fanless PSU:

https://seasonic.com/prime-titanium-fanless

The 1000W PSU I have is this:

https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium

On 3/4/2020 at 3:11 AM, Miska said:

It is more about the kind of fans used. For example my big audio PC is silent although it has CPU fan, four case fans, PSU fan and three GPU fans. It would be interesting to see such passive cooled, with 1000W PSU, overclocked GeForce RTX2080Ti and CPU with >120W TDP.

Hi Jussi, I now you are using Noctua (and some other brand too) for the CPU which are very quiet, for the case fans what model / brand do you use? PSU fan? thought you were using the fanless Seasonics

22 minutes ago, luisma said:

Hi Jussi, I now you are using Noctua (and some other brand too) for the CPU which are very quiet, for the case fans what model / brand do you use? PSU fan? thought you were using the fanless Seasonics

These ones:

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/fans/silent/silent-series-r3-140mm/black/

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a14-pwm

And especially this one:

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a14-uln

30 minutes ago, luisma said:

PSU fan? thought you were using the fanless Seasonics

See my post above for the PSU's, the 1000W model (and the lower power version of same series) are hybrid and include fan that can be configured (with back panel push button) to run only when needed.

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

These ones:

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/fans/silent/silent-series-r3-140mm/black/

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a14-pwm

And especially this one:

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a14-uln

See my post above for the PSU's, the 1000W model (and the lower power version of same series) are hybrid and include fan that can be configured (with back panel push button) to run only when needed.

Sorry for naive question but I’m a novice at this: what different uses do you put the PWM and ULN versions of the NF A-14? Why not the ULN in all circumstances, or can’t it be controlled from the motherboard?

Just now, craighartley said:

Sorry for naive question but I’m a novice at this: what different uses do you put the PWM and ULN versions of the NF A-14? Why not the ULN in all circumstances, or can’t it be controlled from the motherboard?

Connection to the motherboard controller is different, PWM fans have four pins, traditional ones three. Both can be controlled by the motherboard, but traditional ones to lesser extent.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Connection to the motherboard controller is different, PWM fans have four pins, traditional ones three. Both can be controlled by the motherboard, but traditional ones to lesser extent.

So (sorry), why use the traditional one if the PWM is more controllable?

Just now, craighartley said:

So (sorry), why use the traditional one if the PWM is more controllable?

Because sometimes traditional ones are available as more quiet models (designed for slower RPM).

I usually have both around and see which one works best for the particular purpose.

I think I have the Fractal Design ones running at ~600 rpm.

@Miska started playing with EC modulators and have a question on how HQP Desktop parses out the CPU loads.

I can convert a 192/24 file to DSD256 (12.288) using ASDM7EC modulator on my Linux server (Ubuntu Studio) with i7-9700 (8 cores) CPU. My TPA DAC (ESS9028) can handle 48k DSD (Holo Cyan is waiting on a new board.).

Question: CPUs 1 & 4 are running around 85-95% while the other 6 CPUs are running around 10-20%. While I am not having any stuttering, just a bit concerned pushing the 2 CPU that hard over an extended period. Guessing this is ok?

Waiting to see if I will be able to use ASDM7EC at DSD256 with my Holo Cyan which doesn’t handle 48k DSD.

BTW the EC modulators sound GREAT. I can what all the fuss is about.

6 hours ago, ericuco said:

Question: CPUs 1 & 4 are running around 85-95% while the other 6 CPUs are running around 10-20%. While I am not having any stuttering, just a bit concerned pushing the 2 CPU that hard over an extended period. Guessing this is ok?

Shouldn't be a problem with any combination. Constant 100% loads would be normal for most games.

Apart from 9900KS, Turbo Boost gives full boost only when few of the cores are loaded.

6 hours ago, ericuco said:

Waiting to see if I will be able to use ASDM7EC at DSD256 with my Holo Cyan which doesn’t handle 48k DSD.

Shouldn't be a problem, it is mostly up to the filters in question. With something like poly-sinc-ext2 for example. It mostly just limits the choice of filters for 48k material.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2020 at 8:28 AM, Miska said:

I have one i5-7600T machine in Streacom FC10 Alpha case with their ZeroFlex ZF240 fanless PSU. Works pretty well, but one needs to be careful about the motherboard choice. I couldn't use the motherboard I originally planned in it.

Curious as to why care needs to be taken with motherboard? Is if because of the limitations of the case (i.e., heat pipe routing), or the power supply? I currently have this case and PS, so am wondering. Gigabyte Aorus seems good, as do ASRock Z390 and  Asus ROG STRIX (with that one heatsink removed). 

1 hour ago, CKehoe said:

Curious as to why care needs to be taken with motherboard? Is if because of the limitations of the case (i.e., heat pipe routing), or the power supply? I currently have this case and PS, so am wondering. Gigabyte Aorus seems good, as do ASRock Z390 and  Asus ROG STRIX (with that one heatsink removed). 

Heatpipes, if there are too tall components between CPU and side panel heatsink, there will be problems getting the heatpipes in place.

I needed to go with ASUS motherboard instead of planned Gigabyte due to this. Only figured it out when I started to put the machine together.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, Miska said:

I needed to go with ASUS motherboard instead of planned Gigabyte due to this. Only figured it out when I started to put the machine together.

Can you share which Gigabyte you were planning on to? and which Asus you ended up getting? I have been thinking on getting this one X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, would you prefer the USB 3.1G2 or maybe get one of the ones with DAC port? I will be using the HDPlex H5 case

9 hours ago, luisma said:

Can you share which Gigabyte you were planning on to? and which Asus you ended up getting? I have been thinking on getting this one X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI, would you prefer the USB 3.1G2 or maybe get one of the ones with DAC port? I will be using the HDPlex H5 case

I first got Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming5 that has DAC UP port.

But since it didn't fit I then got ASUS PRIME Z270M-PLUS that didn't have tall heatsink right of the CPU.

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Anyone tried the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X with HQP yet?

Comparing it to the i9-9900K, it looks pretty good. Not sure if the huge difference in CPU Mark score actually matters for HQP though. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 12.15.48 AM.png

Some people have, but it has some performance issues with HQPlayer. One is per-core speed which is lower and another is inefficiencies when CCX's (CPU core groups) need to talk to each other.