ted_b

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Interesting. #2 is PCM192k which is already 48k base rate... So CPU loading should be similar with PCM176 to DSD256x44.1 (for example).

And since DXD is 2xPCM176, DXD to DSD256 should have heavier load, I would have thought?

Doesn't matter that Roon isn't on there anymore but what's the CPU loading difference between your #1 and #2 if you re-test? Small difference?

The differences are insignificant - something like plus or minus 5%. Plus when I looked more closely, I couldn't predict which type of track would generate a heavier load for the CPU. My PCM 352k sample track was actually easier to upsample than most of my PCM 44k files. 🤔

With the i7-9700K with no GPU: 

• PCM (any) => ASDM7EC DSD256 with poly-sinc-ext2 averaged about 35%
  • PCM (any) => ASDM7EC DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr-mp averaged about 67%. 

While it's interesting from analytical standpoint, it doesn't matter a whole lot because no matter what file type I threw at it or what filter or modulator I used, or what the CPU load was, the system remained cool and comfortable, there was not a single stutter and the music sounded incredible. 

The 9700K and the 9900K are both extremely capable HQP performers.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, WS2019 + AO => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP OS => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

20 minutes ago, sledwards said:

And I will add, the 8700K with a CUDA capable GPU gets the job done too.

I'm sure that's true, but I've really soured on CUDA. It's easy to set up and it works perfectly as advertised, and for certain configurations (primarily multichannel) it's probably mandatory. 

But, I've learned from experience, not having listened to Jussi at first, you need to buy a GPU card that's powerful enough to keep up with your CPU, or it will actually harm your system performance. 

With my i7-9700K alone, which cost me about $300, I can do PCM (or DSD) at any sample rate => ASDM7EC x DSD256 x 48 with poly-sinc-xtr (!!!) all day and all night. To say it another way, with just the i7-9700K, in simple 2 channel, I can do anything in HQP short of EC DSD512. With any file. 

I bought a cheap GPU (GTX 1650) and with it in the chain, poly-sinc-xtr crashes like The Hindenburg, but faster. To get a GPU that keeps up with the i7-9700K, I would need to spend something like 800... more.. dollars, or even more than that. And in my 2-channel stereo use case, it would add literally nothing.

Others may have a different experiences, or maybe a lot more people are running multichannel with convolution that I realize. 😀 But based on the extensive experimentation I've done since EC was introduced, if you're buying a CPU, I wouldn't recommend buying anything other than a i7-9700K or a i9-9900K. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, WS2019 + AO => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP OS => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

3 minutes ago, k6davis said:

To get a GPU that keeps up with the i7-9700K, I would need to spend something like 800... more.. dollars, or even more than that. And in my 2-channel stereo use case, it would add literally nothing.

Yes, I think you now have pointed out (several times) that there are more cost effective solutions out there. But yes, I do use convolution, and the cost of a RTX-2080 was not an issue. I know that may not be true for some, but hey,  this is just a hobby, and what what one invests into it is really a personal decision. If the goal is is to get the most bang for the buck, that's just part of the hobby.

3 minutes ago, sledwards said:

Yes, I think you now have pointed out (several times) that there are more cost effective solutions out there. But yes, I do use convolution, and the cost of a RTX-2080 was not an issue. I know that may not be true for some, but hey,  this is just a hobby, and what what one invests into it is really a personal decision. If the goal is is to get the most bang for the buck, that's just part of the hobby.

Well certainly, if you're doing convolution that is another matter. I'm glad it's working for you. 

Can you recommend a link were I could learn more about convolution?

11 minutes ago, sledwards said:

Indeed! Wether you use Roon as your front end or not, this is a long link with a lot of good information:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-guide-how-to-do-room-correction-and-use-it-in-roon/23800

Thank you. I do use Roon. I'm intrigued. 

EDIT: I just took a quick look and it's very interesting. Thanks again for sharing. 

1 hour ago, sledwards said:

Indeed! Wether you use Roon as your front end or not, this is a long link with a lot of good information:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-guide-how-to-do-room-correction-and-use-it-in-roon/23800

The procedure is valid all the way up to adding the filters to Roon vs HQPlayer. I do prefer Jussi's implementation over that in Roon.  If I were to give one piece of advice about convolution, it would the same as many have stated before: "You can't beat a properly treated room". With that said, convolution, when used in moderation can lead to worthwhile audible improvements.

Interested in convolution, thanks for link.

Can you spell out your pc gear for such (or repeat, if already done so).

elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>macmini (16gb ram-ssd-js2 psu-mmk)[hd(naq psu)]>netgear gs105 switch[clones psu])>ghent js ethernet>ultraRendu(js-2)>uspbc>iso regen(lps-1/naq psu)>curious link>rme adi-2 dac>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2xnaq12” passive subs.

2 hours ago, k6davis said:

I wouldn't recommend buying anything other than a i7-9700K or a i9-9900K. 

A i7-9700kf or i9-9900kf has the advantage of no gpu. I haven't heard either, but if it's anything like what I am hearing with a Ryzen with no gpu, it's a very worthwhile upgrade.

Adding a GPU card destroys the SQ with the Ryzen as well.

nuckleheadaudio.com

32 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Adding a GPU card destroys the SQ with the Ryzen as well.

How? Your USB DAC is directly coupled to your PC?

And how do you setup without a GPU?

4 hours ago, k6davis said:

With the i7-9700K with no GPU: 

• PCM (any) => ASDM7EC DSD256 with poly-sinc-ext2 averaged about 35%

Overall average is nice and low, what is the peak single core loading?

Is there always a core above 90% loading (for example)?

Or is the peak single core loading always under 80%? 

33 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

How? Your USB DAC is directly coupled to your PC?

And how do you setup without a GPU?

No, the Ryzen machine runs Roonserver, a NUC i7 is connected witelessly to the DAC.

I install the GPU, do the setup and then remove it.

nuckleheadaudio.com

12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I install the GPU, do the setup and then remove it.

Nice. ‘A novel way to massively improve... the sound quality of a Ryzen HQP Server’.

GPU affects the DAC sound wirelessly. Is the HQP server right next to DAC? Or different room ?

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

A i7-9700kf or i9-9900kf has the advantage of no gpu. I haven't heard either, but if it's anything like what I am hearing with a Ryzen with no gpu, it's a very worthwhile upgrade.

I think the die is just the same, but GPU fused out. Way to increase overall yields by using dies that have a faulty GPU. So instead of trashing those, they can still sell the chips.

Probably power management can reach the same result by powering down the GPU on normal K.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Probably power management can reach the same result by powering down the GPU on normal K.

Yes, maybe.

Perhaps one could power down the Intel based GPU with a boot script and install another GPU when needed.

nuckleheadaudio.com