IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

4 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Can your i9-9900K actually do PCM 24-192 => EC DSD256 x 48 with poly-sync-ext2, without overclocking?

No idea. It's an active production machine I spent some time on balancing, so I'm not going to test this. It was overclocked with production in mind - as a side benefit it runs HQPlayer EC modulators with any of the filters.

There are likely other users running stock 9900K processors that could test this. I think there is someone on the main HQPlayer thread running one.

One thing worth mentioning. My home setup uses an older video production machine. It's loud, but I keep it in a separate room altogether and use a Mac Mini running W10 as an NAA running into an Intona, SU-1, Holo Spring. For those looking for a "silent" solution, this is one possibility.

I think it would be next to impossible to run EC modulators without running fans - though that industrial box looks super cool. It has a wimpy GPU, though, which would limit your filters use.

Putting the box in another room and using a quiet NAA was the workaround for me.

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

My system:

@StreamFidelity, what cooler are you using? I'm using the Noctua NH-D15S 140mm cooler with two Noctua 15" fans. It is very quiet.

I'm running the 9900k cores at 4.7 Ghz and the cache at 4.3 with turbo on and an offset voltage of 1.35. Everything else is set to auto.

This is what I am getting running redbook into HqP upsampling to DSD 256 with ADSM7EC and poly-sinc-xtr-lp.

Capture.PNG

Back to the sound of all of this. I usually listen on monitors, but I am working late tonight for a deadline and listening with a newly acquired pair of minty HD600s (HD650s going up for sale soon!) with HQP ADSM7EC/EXT2 DSD265>RME ADi-2fs>Eddie Current ZDTJ. Effing eff, it's...great!

Get it going on, it's glorious.

33 minutes ago, k6davis said:

I really like DSD5EC too. Which is "better" depends on personal taste

I am spinning it up right now. It is beauty. With the studio music - listening to some old Sparklehorse right now - I feel like it integrates everything into the picture nicely - with my system I hear a less depth, but a more well rounded image. Thanks for the recommend.