IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

In my situation, my 6700k is running on WinServer 2019 Core with Audiophile Optimizer 3.0. Overclocking is off! so is other Bios speed up settings. I find the music more serene and very very low on digital sound.

Of course if to run EC modulators on the 6700k requires turbo and other speed up/multicore modes, I am willing to try.

But fan noise I have an issue with as the server is within 6 feet of my HP listening position. Abyss AB1266 and HD800's are pretty open to external noises. I can hear the incessant hum of my AC compressor but I set this to ECON and higher temps say 26deg C and it only comes in an odd intervals.

Running the 6700k at 70-80 CPU utilisation rate invariably equals more fan noise. There may be gains to the HQplayer 4.0 SQ, but I have gained a lot on using resistors to detune all the fans in my PC, moving the additional fans onto a separate fan header etc and using fan power filters.

A bit hesitant to reverse direction. 

Eventually the 6700k (3 years coming on) will be obsolete. So biting the bullet with a 9900k and 2080 Super may be the way to get silent HQPlayer 4.0 server up and running without incessant fan noise.

Stressing the PSU (i use the supremely low distortion Corsair RMX550 - 8mv at the 200watt setting - its fan does not run) with this Turbo/speed up mode may not be optimal. I think i will have to swop in my Corsair HK850 in this case. Ummh... decisions, decisions.

Will try it this weekend. 

Just like to share EMF/RFI experiences.. 

1. Ethernet connections between HQPlayer Server and the NAA can work Without Internet.. yes Without!

2. I use a SOTM SMS200 Ultra Neo and an Asus AC68 then a Netgear GS105 both on separate 12v LPSU. 

3. The Server can find the Sms200 as the Asus Ac68 provides the network protocol to the Netgear GS105 which connects to both the Server and NAA.

4. Periodically I find I hv to connect the Asus AC68 to my broadband router to hv the internet signal to 'refresh' the network settings! When do I hv to do this ? When my Dsd256 upsampling fr PCM starts minir stuttering!

5. What is my point?

I was hearing much more analogue impactful SQ without the internet router linkage. 

6. I had to do this internet refreshing 2 hours ago and even though my broadband router is also on 12v LPSU.. the SQ dropped immediately. so much more 'hard' less 'analogue' SQ. I tried the internet modem on the default SMOS.. Digital hardness creep into the SQ🤨😅

2 lessons I learnt..

1. Without Internet Sotm NAA works and gives wonderful SQ with high PRAT!

2. NAA with 2 levels of switch separation still lets thru internet noise which in the ethernet link

Guess i am waiting for the Uptone switch

YMMV

Originally the ASUS 86(not 68) is to separate my music intranet from the router from the rest of my home's internet traffic. 

So broadband router (fr my ISP) connect by Ethernet cable to Asus AC 86 then to a Netgear GS-105 ; this GS105 uses the small signal transformers (built in) to provide a second level of noise isolation. 

What i did was to disconnect the Ethernet cable between the broadband router and the Asus AC-86.. The asus provides the internet address to the netgear gs105 !! The HQplayer server and the SOTM sm200 ultra neo are BOTH connected to the Netgear GS105.. 

Hqplayer CAN link up to the NAA if u let the Asus and Netgear powerup establish the IP addresses/linkage before u fire up the Sotm sm200!

Then u fire up the Hqplayer server!

The connection is very stable; for hours and dozens of albums!

Power fluctuations can drop the link I find!

I have my DAC and Sotm and the Uptone Isoregen on 1 circuit (with associated LPSU's) My speaker and HP amps (tube and SS) are on a different circuit .. When I switch between speaker and HP, link is solid . No dropping

Yes Roon may work Why not try ? A Netgear gs105 i paid 48usd on lazada? The lpsu 68usd from aliexpress! I am listening to Pat Metheny Trio Live Disc 1 .. u know SQ is up to grade when the audience sounds, the clapping , u hear the drum stick hit the skin and it sounds real.. Cheap and giant bang for the buck! Ooh my cables are 3usd Cat6 generic brand each ! All JSSG with the ground cables extended tied back to the  Earth on 1 unused socket on my Furutech distributor! Seems to drain the JSSG shield potential to Earth! 

My system background sound is Very quiet! Note that my 6700k server uses a Corsair RM550x ATX psu Not LPSU.. but I hv JSSG all my cables SSD 5v 24pin to the LPSU (1 for the OS and 1 for the music SSD; ATX, CPU EPS 2x8pin, 2x6pin GPU ( i got earth wires streaming out of my PC case) !! Works for me😁

Messy cheap and good

• 10 months later...

Just an update : i7 6700k users dont despair if you hv a lousy PC with an underpowered MOBO like my Lenovo!

You can run DSD128 EC7 if u upgrade your cooling system and Overclock

My 6700k : Noctua NH-U12a new!

I took my GTX 970m out of the case with a PCie x 16 extension cable! This allowed a DIY mount with 2 xNoctua A14 to add cooling blowing at the CPU cooler to be added! 

2 more 8 cm fans also DIY mounted blow at the VRM 

I use intel Xtreme Tuning Software

Core 1 x 4.6 ghz

Core 2 x 4.5 ghz

Core 3 x 4.3 ghz

Core 4 x 4.3 ghz

Core voltage offset .0.1 v - (1.2+0.1=1.3v)

Turbo power profile from default 49.25 watts push up 60 watts

From a cold start I can run DSD 256 EC7 for about 10 min w/o stutter! Heat Soak sets in.

The CPU fabs spin up fast and the Sound stutters every so often! Not stable!

From a cold PC .. DSD128 EC7 poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2 can run stable w/o stutter for 1 hour more  

Heat Soak creeps in and sounds a rare occasional stutter every 10min then stable again!

My tests shows older PCs need watercooling if u want to overclock above 4.6ghz to play EC7!

I pushed my PC to 4.8 ghz and had to do a Bios reset to boot my pc !!!

My new 10700k /AorusZ490Ultra/CoolerMaster ML360 AIO watercooler system will solve all of these Headaches

I get all the parts next week to DIY build it👍

U can substitute the i7 7700k direct ug into the Z270 mb but i gain 4-7% and 4.2 ghz increase of 4.0ghz!

Borderline improvemt unless u hv your mb with high grade VRM to turbo boost 1st core to 4.8

2nd core 4.7 and the other cores 4,5

then

DSD 256/EC7 may work

Dont bother upgrade the whole shebang like I am doing

Thx

I am building my i7 10700k HQplayer server this weekend. 

a. Lian Li O11L Dynamic Case

b. Cooler Master M360 AIO

c. 6 nos of Cooler Master 12cm fans

d. Intel i7 10700k 

e. Hypex 3200mhz RAM  2x8gb

f. Corsair HX850 PSU

g. Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra Motherboard

SSD's / OS/ HDD will be salvaged from my existing 6700k server. 

In my experiments Overclocking the 6700k to 4.7/4.6/4.4/4.4 ghz, the Noctua NH-U12A plus 2xA14 cm, 3x12cm and 2x8cm (cooling the VRM) fans has convinced me to go BIG All in One Watercooling. Getting the Noctua NH-D15 would not do.

I dont need a GPU as the 10700k should do the EC7 and non-S filters except the Sine L at DSD256 without CUDA Offload.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Enjoy your build

Kelvin

Just