IGNORED

Volt + D with subwoofer through high level connection

I am having great experience with the Volt D.

I would like to connect it to a subwoofer through the high level input option but there is a great deal of confusion, and we are asked to 'ask the manufacturer' so I am asking.

According to REL (leading manufacturer of subwoofers):
" start quote

Class D amps do not reference their Black speaker return terminals to ground, a convention that has been in place pretty much since audio was created.

Class-D-High-Level-Connection-Ground-Scr

Instead, most Class D amps reference to 10-15 volts ABOVE ground. Why does this matter? Because REL’s have always used earth ground as their reference point

end quote "

So the usual recommendation with non class D (class AB etc)   is to connect the high level ground on the speakon cable to one of the negative speaker outputs on the amplifier BUT with class D amps this must be avoided unless the class D amp references to ground, or provides ground screw.

REL also say that it can work in 70 % of cases simply to leave the speakon cable ungrounded, and to tape up the ground wire to prevent accidental connection to something.

MJ Acoustics (an REL competitor) say that the REL approach is flawed for safety reasons!!

Can you advise with regard to the Volt D, how it is 'referenced to ground', and what should I do? I think this might be useful to other users too.

Many thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I have a Volt + (not the D version) on my office rig.  I have connected a Velodyne powered subwoofer directly from the speaker outputs of the amp, to the high level inputs of the sub.  So two sets of speaker wire coming off the amp, one set goes to the main speakers, the other set goes to the sub.  It works very well.