IGNORED

Bits is bits?

16 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I see you're dodging the question, but I'll try one last time: How does your career background validate that Audioquest marketing material?  I honestly want to know.

And you are dodging the original argument.  Who are you exactly? What is your background to doubt what I have said?  I honestly want to know.  Could you post your CV for us to peruse so we will have a better idea?

You are just grasping for traction, for anything to pretend you actually have an argument when you do not.  Please, continue to entertain us and by all means, do not depend on me to educate you for clearly, you do not need educating.  Goodbye.

PS.  It's Arrogant Dickhead.

Not Arrogant Bastard Ale which is a different thing altogether.

Maybe English is not your first language? but I digress...

"Let's pick a tune and get out of this mess"  - Earl Scruggs

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... " - Duke Ellington

I wonder when Audioquest will come out with Audiophile wireless.  Not the wire or cable, but wireless.  Maybe in the form of a waveguide?  We know them bits ain't bits all by themselves. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Just now, mansr said:

Canisters of audio grade phlogiston to be released in the general vicinity of the wifi. I can supply those now. Packaging may vary (depending on whatever tin is cheapest at the moment).

also an ale

with all this stuff triggering my reward system, it is a good thing I bought an Imperial Stout at the grocery store today

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

also an ale

with all this stuff triggering my reward system, it is a good thing I bought an Imperial Stout at the grocery store today

I'm currently enjoying a pint of Village Idiot at my local while listening to the very talented open mic performer.

17 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

The problem is "reasonable playback" for you would not necessarily be reasonable for someone else. Hence your truth can not be universal. In general sense, anything changeable couldn't be truth.

Note that I said reasonable, "playback system" - not "reasonable playback", system.

Not being aware of the playback system means that only the signature of the recording is subjectively apparent - two completely rigs playing a particular track will sound essentially the same. And as nearly all audiophiles are quite proud to state, :P, conventional rigs have tremendously distinct, unique personalities - they are all close to their, err, 'separate truths' ... ^_^.

9 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi Frank,

There’s another universal audio truth....this status; the point at which your brain no longer detects that the sound comes from 2 sources and instead processes the sounds like it would in nature, treating each instrument, voice etc as though it were a point source, is only the beginning of the road. Before you meet that road, you are essentially lost in an audio forest of distortion, noise and imprecision. On joining the road, the journey doesn’t end. It just becomes more enjoyable. The road can become wider, smoother, straighter, faster....oh yes, the 2nd audio truth.  Because your stereo signal is clean and undistorted enough for your brain to treat the singnal as natural doen’t in any way mean that you are recovering all the information on the recording.....it simply means that the accuracy of amplitude, phase and time are sufficient to fool your brain. That point is reached long before ALL the information on the recording is resolved. Its why you can join the road with sub-par gear....you don’t need the best gear to achieve the illusion. 

The third audio truth? Many audiophiles have already reached this  point, some probably years ago and are now striving for something more, because there’s a lot more to be had. 

You're apparently talking about the beloved audiophile sweet spot, that tiny, tiny little location in the room where it "all comes together". Umm, I have never been the slightest bit interested in that, because the universal :) sweet spot is a far, far nicer thing to have - it means that I can move around anywhere in the room, and the house, and there is a 100% consistency in what I hear - I don't have to be in a special spot for any "magic" to happen.

That microscopic audiophile sweet spot gets the job done, because you are making sure that the direct sound is so strongly 'concentrated' that the message in the recording finally makes sense - I see it as being akin to a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoscope, where you have to have everything in alignment for any illusion to occur ... this is just not my cup of tea; what I'm after is the sense of real music making, irrespective of how I'm listening.

7 hours ago, Soothsayerman said:

Part of it may stem from poor power supply design and implementation within audio equipment and the fact that manufacturers skimp on parts and power supplies and end up creating a very electrically noisy environment or an environment that does not manage heat well.   The other is that the application itself does not lend itself well to tolerating data buffers to deal with  error correction and then there is the whole jitter issue which everyone deals with in a variety of ways.  Clocking and frequency stability are issues.

In enterprise computing, power regulation and power cleanliness is a very important factor because it has a large impact in computing errors, downtime, equipment longevity etc and of course heat is an issue on the IC level and the environmental level.  Cables and connections do go bad and you would not really think that would be the case because they are seemingly inert but they're not.  Not all transmission mediums are the same (multimode vs singlemode fiber even though they're both glass) but once you get to a certain level, if everything else is accounted for, they should have no impact. 

It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma lying at the bottom of a beer glass that I'm sure has something to do with money.

Yep. Manufacturers don't try hard enough, leaving it to the consumers to try and do the best with what's at hand - underlying it is the deeply rooted belief that the ears are pretty miserable sense organs, that don't need much kitchy-kooing to fool - or please. So, why not do it with the absolutely bare minimum that you think you can get away with ... ^_^.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I want an an arrogant dickhead USB cable - I can use it for punk rock

I'm always amused by comments mentioning using a distorting system to play back 'distorted' music - somehow, this is going to double the pleasure! :D

IME it's the other way around - the more 'raw' the music, the more pristine the playback rig has to be - this way, the balance between the aggressive, hard edged sound elements, and the natural, soft parts of it, are fully, and clearly defined - say, having a very heavy, high distortion guitar sound counterbalance a sweet female voice has a special quality to the listening experience - which doesn't work, if the whole is loaded with playback sludge.