IGNORED

Bits is bits?

1 hour ago, DonaldT2109 said:

And this The Computer Audiophile character seems to think that stealing from the gullible is ok (aha, no wonder he does, I have just found his connection with Audioquest) That would also explain his siding with the 'Golden Ears' brigade, (must keep your customers believing). .  

This is comedy gold. 

Please let me know where you “found” this connection with AudioQuest. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

39 minutes ago, esldude said:

Were he less dense he'd have hints already.

Dennis

The sad thing is that he presented his case so badly here, without taking any notice of what many others told him, that he and his friends may end up getting their fingers burned and their wallets emptied if they lose their action in the U.K.

They may even end up having to pay damages to the company,  that if he is correct, deserves to be exposed and put out of business ?

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

10 hours ago, sandyk said:

More Elitist BS from you.

Consumers , and that includes Audiophiles, do NOT need to know the ins and outs of the design process in the products they purchase. Consumers have a right to expect that they are paying for a competently designed product.

Why don;t you read my posts instead of just a Pavlovian reaction to everything I write. I have been saying all along that these problems are solvable and in other areas of electronics they are solved...

52 minutes ago, marce said:

Why don;t you read my posts instead of just a Pavlovian reaction to everything I write. I have been saying all along that these problems are solvable and in other areas of electronics they are solved...

When you stop telling NON technical , or semi technical people to read textbooks such as from Henry Ott etc. that they have no interest in  reading, let alone properly understanding, I will take you more seriously.

They may be of interest to other qualified members, and are perhaps already in their textbook collection , but  Audiophiles in general do not need to know these design considerations, just that the product they purchased was competently designed.

Besides which , you would need to pay well in excess of $100 to purchase a copy that you are never likely to  read or peruse again unless you are an  E.E.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

Dennis

The sad thing is that he presented his case so badly here, without taking any notice of what many others told him, that he and his friends may end up getting their fingers burned and their wallets emptied if they lose their action in the U.K.

They may even end up having to pay damages to the company,  that if he is correct, deserves to be exposed and put out of business ?

Alex

My parents dealt with the likes of him at their old country property. The new neighbors who bought the land next door, got all bent out of shape over the fact that the survey at the top was off by about a 2 X 20 foot strip, and my folks had accidentally built 15 years earlier their water tanks over it. Really a nothing burger, and my parents offered to settle for pro-rate (about $12k I believe) as they really didn't want to move these water tanks and it was obviously an unused spot beyond that on the corner of the property. Easily dealt with in a neighborly way.

Long story short, these people wouldn't settle, and at the end of the day they lost, and lost probably about $45k in lawyers fees, surveyors, air photography, etc. (My folks about $10- 15K sadly). This was before the people had even built anyhting- by the time my parents sold four years later (in large part due to these people) they still hadn't built anything beyond plopping down an ugly septic that was an eyesore.  This is beautiful, west facing San Juan Island sea side, but nothing could make these people happy. Nice neighbors to have in paradise, let me tell you. All to prove a worthless point over a grandfathered mistake. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

56 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Even though I agree with everything that you are saying, and I am definitely sure (with knowledge and expertise) that there are things that just cannot happen based upon differences in USB cables, there can definitely be certain kinds of analog signal quality differences when changing between cables.

There are various kinds of failings or design issues in a system, and one of them (which I often overlook) is poor interface design and noise infiltration.  When a change in USB cable (properly selected by manufacturers info) makes a  difference, it is definitely due primarily to poor electronics design or extreme environmental noise....  PERIOD.

Things like 'soundscape' or whatever descriptive term about the imaging, frequency response, etc just cannot change when a properly selected (by even inaccurate manufacturers specs) cable is changed to another properly selected cable.   Assuming no nearby extreme EMI events, extreme power problems, etc when such changes make a difference, the problem is definitely releated to 1) poor hardware design, 2) consistently poor cable design, or very unlikely 3) inadequate standards specification.   Even if there is a change, the change in sound will be related to noise, the effects of noise, etc.   In the extreme case, a poor quality cable along with poorly designed hardware that perfectly depends on capabilities missing in that poor quality cables -- then the system might work so poorly as to be intermittent.

None of this USB/Ethernet/etc cable stuff is rocket science (and definitely not brain surgery.)  Almost everything in the audiophile world  is NOT high-tech.   If you want to look for something that is closer to high tech, think about the cell system infrastructure, and all of the very high spec components needed -- that stuff requires serious expertise.  The audiophile consumer is being swindled, but they seem to enjoy and embrace it...

The problem with audiophile equipment is not always incompetent engineering (even though that seems to happen fairly often), it is more often caused by bean-counter controlled design constraints.

If manufacturers hobble the quality of the cables, and hobble the quality of hardware (maybe keeping boards as single sided, or maybe just double sided -- that kind of thing, or maybe using jellybean parts and trying to select ones way out of quality problems --garbage), then it just might be difficult to maintain quality.   That hobbling of quality, focusing on profit only, or playing solely the boutique game (when truly standards compliant, responsibly designed industrial quality is better anyway), will produce the need or desire to 'tweak or find the correct cable' syndrome.   Of all things, good quality cables, interfaces, and board layouts are NOT rocket science, but simply require compentent designers, and consumers who are intolerant of junk.

Noise isolation and isolation from transient errors in data transport are well known disciplines.  However, when a HW hacker tries to do the work of an actual adult engineer, or if a bean counter tries to play 'engineering decision maker', then consumers will be misled and effectively swindled.

John

I have actually heard this happen, or not happen, with spdif.  I upgraded my DAC within the same manufacturer line, and now can't really notice a difference between the Apogee and the Belden, whereas with the previous DAC the two cables provided slightly different results.  I also noticed this with my old Gill Audio DAC.   It does make me wonder if I should be using that interface instead of USB.  Perhaps, it is better than going into the Amanero 383 board.  I don't have multiple USB cables to compare.

It also seems like the high end might frown upon this result.  Something like, "the DAC lacks the transparency to display the subtle differences of cable design."  

3 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Even though I agree with everything that you are saying, and I am definitely sure (with knowledge and expertise) that there are things that just cannot happen based upon differences in USB cables, there can definitely be certain kinds of analog signal quality differences when changing between cables.

There are various kinds of failings or design issues in a system, and one of them (which I often overlook) is poor interface design and noise infiltration.  When a change in USB cable (properly selected by manufacturers info) makes a  difference, it is definitely due primarily to poor electronics design or extreme environmental noise....  PERIOD.

Things like 'soundscape' or whatever descriptive term about the imaging, frequency response, etc just cannot change when a properly selected (by even inaccurate manufacturers specs) cable is changed to another properly selected cable.   Assuming no nearby extreme EMI events, extreme power problems, etc when such changes make a difference, the problem is definitely releated to 1) poor hardware design, 2) consistently poor cable design, or very unlikely 3) inadequate standards specification.   Even if there is a change, the change in sound will be related to noise, the effects of noise, etc.   In the extreme case, a poor quality cable along with poorly designed hardware that perfectly depends on capabilities missing in that poor quality cables -- then the system might work so poorly as to be intermittent.

None of this USB/Ethernet/etc cable stuff is rocket science (and definitely not brain surgery.)  Almost everything in the audiophile world  is NOT high-tech.   If you want to look for something that is closer to high tech, think about the cell system infrastructure, and all of the very high spec components needed -- that stuff requires serious expertise.  The audiophile consumer is being swindled, but they seem to enjoy and embrace it...

The problem with audiophile equipment is not always incompetent engineering (even though that seems to happen fairly often), it is more often caused by bean-counter controlled design constraints.

If manufacturers hobble the quality of the cables, and hobble the quality of hardware (maybe keeping boards as single sided, or maybe just double sided -- that kind of thing, or maybe using jellybean parts and trying to select ones way out of quality problems --garbage), then it just might be difficult to maintain quality.   That hobbling of quality, focusing on profit only, or playing solely the boutique game (when truly standards compliant, responsibly designed industrial quality is better anyway), will produce the need or desire to 'tweak or find the correct cable' syndrome.   Of all things, good quality cables, interfaces, and board layouts are NOT rocket science, but simply require compentent designers, and consumers who are intolerant of junk.

Noise isolation and isolation from transient errors in data transport are well known disciplines.  However, when a HW hacker tries to do the work of an actual adult engineer, or if a bean counter tries to play 'engineering decision maker', then consumers will be misled and effectively swindled.

John

Precisely and speaking of noise ... There are not always easy solutions to implement !

Why then do we make so much noise when some USB cable approaches zero noise ?

Bad circuit designs and electronic parts ?  There is a lot too !

Of course, the audio industry has crickets, but mention me one industry in which there are no crickets. From the pharmaceutical to ... Please mention it.

But I would call them illusions sellers 😂

From the other side some people are not interested, or simply they love noise because they are accustomed, even if they finish with headache after a short listening session...  Those aren't audiophiles, but a few, deaf audiophiles...

Roch

17 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

much smaller mark-ups of most any other industry

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

smaller mark-ups - hahahahahha

I'd really like to see information about other niche industries that build on very small scales at the highest quality. I honestly don't know, if apples to apples comparisons were done, which one of you is correct. 

P.S. The Rolls Royce Sweptail is $13,000,000. Small scale, built to the highest standards. Markup? not sure. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png