Norton

Potential merit in matching DAC to ADC?

Rate this topic

I think this was a claim of the codec that shall not be named (although AFAIK in practice there are no or virtually no commercial releases made with a MQA ADC), but putting this inflammatory association  to one side, could there be any merit per se in the idea of a DAC  (or perhaps a pre DAC processor) “knowing” what ADC etc had been used in a recording, and maybe also spatial info about recording venue  etc, and selecting bespoke filters and DSP to optimise reconstruction of  the analogue signal?  I recall  it being described as an “elegant” solution by some.

39 minutes ago, Norton said:

...bespoke filters and DSP to optimise reconstruction of  the analogue signal?

I am unconvinced about about filters - like mansr says the ideal still remains, and out of phase (i.e. "minimum phase") filters are not the solution in any case - though some prefer the sound it still is not a fideality solution, rather it's a preference.  Other kinds of DSP I think fall into this preference category as well....

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Yes. If the playback chain 'knows' what the recording environment was, then before a note is played all settings that adjust the playback to suit the particular listener could be in place - rather than rely on dynamic correction, as the playback 'learns' from what's being fed to it.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...