Rate this topic

I'm on Qobuz US with a Sublime + subscription. Found it very annoying to logon the sale pages, see a box set download shown as costing about $14, and then see the price almost double when it goes to the cart. Apparently a geographic restriction price.

There's got to be a better way of doing this, Qobuz. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

I'm on Qobuz US with a Sublime + subscription. Found it very annoying to logon the sale pages, see a box set download shown as costing about $14, and then see the price almost double when it goes to the cart. Apparently a geographic restriction price.

Are you sure you did not have to click on the 'Sublime +" subscription button?

Can you give the example. Woulmd like to check here in Blegium.

Dirk

1 hour ago, ddetaey said:

Are you sure you did not have to click on the 'Sublime +" subscription button?

Can you give the example. Woulmd like to check here in Blegium.

Dirk

Yes, I clicked on the Sublime + button, the low price appeared, and when I hit the button to put it in the cart, the price went up.

It happened on several, not on every album. One of the ones was the Von Karajan Beethoven symphonies 1-9 from the 60's. 

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Yes, I clicked on the Sublime + button, the low price appeared, and when I hit the button to put it in the cart, the price went up.

It happened on several, not on every album. One of the ones was the Von Karajan Beethoven symphonies 1-9 from the 60's. 

I suppose it is this one (did not find any other Symphonies 1-9 set) :

https://www.qobuz.com/be-nl/album/beethoven-9-symphonies-herbert-von-karajan-berliner-philharmoniker/0002894793782

For me, price is consistent :

image.thumb.png.6d855e3b6b05c48c8ff7c7e96dd056fb.png

image.thumb.png.8e07de5b7694c4160ad2dc275d28c997.png

If in your case, price doubles, I would contact support and claim the lower price.

Dirk

8 hours ago, firedog said:

I agree . The Qobuz download shop and the streaming service seem not to run in tandem. I am, BTW, a UK subscriber.

Qobuz emailed me last week to draw my attention to the sale. If I click on the links in the email I am taken directly to the store where the sale items are displayed. However even if I log on to the store I am only offered a standard "sale" price, no Sublime+ membership advantages as the login here seems not to recognise my membership .( NB: I don't count 17.40 gbp for a back catalogue Blue Note item as offered in the sale exactly as a bargain).

If I then go to the desktop player and find the same item and check the "buy" button then I am offered a Sublime + discount ( it is now offered for 8.49gbp). The desktop player graphics make no mention of there being a sale on at all.

So the way of using the "sale" option is to go to the shop, which is the only place that the sale items are displayed as such, then exit the shop , go to the desktop player, find the item again then maybe get a Sublime+ discount as this seems the only place that it is offered. However as items in the sale can also be  offered without any further discount being offered to Sublime + members the whole thing is so confusing I just can't be bothered.  This is because not all items attract additional discounts for Sublime + members anyway as the Sublime + discounts are negotiated individually with the record companies*. So one may just as well ignore the sale per se and just use the "buy" button in the desktop player as per usual . If the item is wanted by you then you may find it cheaper than expected for this month without having to be aware of existence of the sale at all.

IMO it's a strange way to run a promotion.

* which may be why you are not seeing the same deals in the USA as we do for the European services.

8 minutes ago, PAR said:

I agree . The Qobuz download shop and the streaming service seem not to run in tandem. I am, BTW, a UK subscriber.

Qobuz emailed me last week to draw my attention to the sale. If I click on the links in the email I am taken directly to the store where the sale items are displayed. However even if I log on to the store I am only offered a standard "sale" price, no Sublime+ membership advantages as the login here seems not to recognise my membership .( NB: I don't count 17.40 gbp for a back catalogue Blue Note item as offered in the sale exactly as a bargain).

If I then go to the desktop player and find the same item and check the "buy" button then I am offered a Sublime + discount ( it is now offered for 8.49gbp). The desktop player graphics make no mention of there being a sale on at all.

So the way of using the "sale" option is to go to the shop, which is the only place that the sale items are displayed as such, then exit the shop , go to the desktop player, find the item again then maybe get a Sublime+ discount as this seems the only place that it is offered. However as items in the sale can also be  offered without any further discount being offered to Sublime + members the whole thing is so confusing I just can't be bothered.  This is because not all items attract additional discounts for Sublime + members anyway as the Sublime + discounts are negotiated individually with the record companies*. So one may just as well ignore the sale per se and just use the "buy" button in the desktop player as per usual . If the item is wanted by you then you may find it cheaper than expected for this month without having to be aware of existence of the sale at all.

IMO it's a strange way to run a promotion.

* which may be why you are not seeing the same deals in the USA as we do for the European services.

Not for me. If I go in thru the app I get the same higher price I saw when I put the album in my cart, not the sale price. 

19 minutes ago, firedog said:

Not for me. If I go in thru the app I get the same higher price I saw when I put the album in my cart, not the sale price. 

That kind of makes sense to me if all of the sale prices are not available to all countries ( as I would suspect given that the record industry is run on a territorial basis ). When you go through the app you are logged into the USA service with all that entails. No doubt at some other point in time you may find a price or even entire  repertoire that is not available from Qobuz UK, France, Germany etc.

We had a roving discussion on this (non-sale pricing) with multiple EU country by country comparisons.  In some cases a bordering country paid nearly double for selected works.  It is a very complicated arrangement hard to pin down because so much music is on offer and subject to different licensing.

8 hours ago, ddetaey said:

I suppose it is this one (did not find any other Symphonies 1-9 set) :

https://www.qobuz.com/be-nl/album/beethoven-9-symphonies-herbert-von-karajan-berliner-philharmoniker/0002894793782

For me, price is consistent :

image.thumb.png.6d855e3b6b05c48c8ff7c7e96dd056fb.png

image.thumb.png.8e07de5b7694c4160ad2dc275d28c997.png

If in your case, price doubles, I would contact support and claim the lower price.

Dirk

A slight deviation from the main theme of the thread right now: do you have any idea of the provenance of this Karajan Beethoven set? The reason that I ask is the the original set was released , unsurprisingly, as 16/44.1 CDs. However a few years later it came out as a box set of SACDs. If I recall correctly this was not a remastering from the original tapes but just an upsample to DSD64 of the 16/44.1 release.

Have you  idea what Qobuz are selling here? If it is a bona fide hi-res remastering from the original analogue tapes then I would be interested in a purchase. However the odds are that as it is a UMG issue it will just be upsampled. Any evidence to say otherwise?

10 minutes ago, PAR said:

A slight deviation from the main theme of the thread right now: do you have any idea of the provenance of this Karajan Beethoven set? The reason that I ask is the the original set was released , unsurprisingly, as 16/44.1 CDs. However a few years later it came out as a box set of SACDs. If I recall correctly this was not a remastering from the original tapes but just an upsample to DSD64 of the 16/44.1 release.

Have you  idea what Qobuz are selling here? If it is a bona fide hi-res remastering from the original analogue tapes then I would be interested in a purchase. However the odds are that as it is a UMG issue it will just be upsampled. Any evidence to say otherwise?

It says 2014, so it should correspond to the Blu-ray Pure Audio release (several editions, one had 5 compact discs as well as a single Blu-ray, then they released it as just a Blu-ray), which was stated to be made from a new 24/96 remaster.  Here is the back cover of that Blu-ray issue:

1726749109_BeethovenKarajanBlurayPureAudiob.thumb.jpg.711a496e7b862f5340d8812c34407ce0.jpg

1454814558_BeethovenKarajanBlurayfrontanddisc.jpg.2d380abd0294793cb925bc85e58b71b0.jpg

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Thanks. That throws further light but DGG's statement is still ambiguous. It just says remastered at 24/96 with no reference to the source. I guess no surprise there as so much of this hi-res business is dubious. Still at least it encourages me now to compare my rips of the  CDs with a stream from Qobuz of the 24/96 files. If the latter sound better anyway then I guess the precise origin is of less importance and I may well go for them.   Of course the original LPs are sublime 😉.