Jump to content
crenca

1+1= "expanding soundstage and extra air"

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

This thread is about false understandings and false analogies.  It's about the 'sound' of digital cables,  grounding boxes, temporal smear, or perhaps the color of your marker.

 

Post your favorite false reasoning for the usual audiophooldom furniture.

 

Today, my favorite is:

 

Since each pizza tastes different, therefore each digital cable sounds different...

 

Note:  off topic posts will be tolerated as long as the expand the soundstage and offer a bit of extra air....

 

 


Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crenca said:

 

Since each pizza tastes different, therefore each digital cable sounds different...

 

 

 

but this one is exactly correct - the Oxford cross-sensory lab has real data on food & drink effects on sound

 

 

you did mean perceived sound right?


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quantization Error  is audible as a rough, granular sound on low-level signals, esp. reverb. decay.  Instead of decaying into silence, the reverb. decay grows in coarseness and grain as the signal decays.

 

- Robert Snarley


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crenca said:

Since each pizza tastes different, therefore each digital cable sounds different...

I went to a concert in a pizza restaurant a few weeks ago. They didn't use any cables at all, for the pizza or the music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe the cables were all hidden - did you check inside the calzones?


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, regarding pizza and extra air, am I alone in loving those huge, random air bubbles in the crust of a cheap pizza like Little Caesar's?


请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mansr said:

I went to a concert in a pizza restaurant a few weeks ago. They didn't use any cables at all, for the pizza or the music.

 A wireless pizza?


Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once cables and interconnects are in place, don’t disturb them.  Cables and interconnects seem to “settle” and sound better over time, a process that must begin anew if the cables are moved.  Move them only for cleaning.

  • Robert Snarley

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, crenca said:

This thread is about false understandings and false analogies.  It's about the 'sound' of digital cables,  grounding boxes, temporal smear, or perhaps the color of your marker.

 

Post your favorite false reasoning for the usual audiophooldom furniture.

 

Today, my favorite is:

 

Since each pizza tastes different, therefore each digital cable sounds different...

 

Note:  off topic posts will be tolerated as long as the expand the soundstage and offer a bit of extra air....

 

 

Any analogy between high resolution audio and high resolution video.

 


You are not a sound quality measurement device

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, adamdea said:

Any analogy between high resolution audio and high resolution video.

 

 

 

Maybe it was here, maybe elsewhere - but I was reading recently a photographer explain how it is common for them to add distortion back into a dig photo in post processing, because this has the effect of adding "grain" makes the photo appear to have extra detail - the intentionally (low level) distorted photo appears to have higher resolution.  Apparently this is common/well understood practice.

 

I wondered to myself if this is not similar to how some distortion (but not all) such as that added by wet, warmish, reverbant, pleasant sounding tubes - which most of us have experienced directly.

 

Pure speculation and probably false anologizing of course...  😉


Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The improved sound of a cable after break-in is largely due to charging the cable’s dielectric (the insulation material around the conductors), a charge that dissipates over time.  It may thus be necessary to periodically “re-enhance” your cables, especially if they haven’t been used in some time.

  • Robert Snarley

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, crenca said:

 

 

Maybe it was here, maybe elsewhere - but I was reading recently a photographer explain how it is common for them to add distortion back into a dig photo in post processing, because this has the effect of adding "grain" makes the photo appear to have extra detail - the intentionally (low level) distorted photo appears to have higher resolution.  Apparently this is common/well understood practice.

 

I wondered to myself if this is not similar to how some distortion (but not all) such as that added by wet, warmish, reverbant, pleasant sounding tubes - which most of us have experienced directly.

 

Pure speculation and probably false anologizing of course...  😉

Sharpening in lightroom, if I get chance I will do an over bloated sharpening, you can see the noise. You have control over the size, depth etc. of the noise. Bit like my current favourite system, SET with open baffle speakers... bad though it may be having that distortion, I prefer its presentation to a more accurate system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2019 at 5:58 PM, mansr said:

Since a CD laser is (barely visible) red, so the reasoning goes, painting the edges in the complementary colour green will have the best effect.

 

This is why Gucci cables sound better.  Here's a close-up of their USB line:

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...