IGNORED

1+1= "expanding soundstage and extra air"

This thread is about false understandings and false analogies.  It's about the 'sound' of digital cables,  grounding boxes, temporal smear, or perhaps the color of your marker.

Post your favorite false reasoning for the usual audiophooldom furniture.

Today, my favorite is:

Since each pizza tastes different, therefore each digital cable sounds different...

Note:  off topic posts will be tolerated as long as the expand the soundstage and offer a bit of extra air....

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, crenca said:

Since each pizza tastes different, therefore each digital cable sounds different...

but this one is exactly correct - the Oxford cross-sensory lab has real data on food & drink effects on sound

you did mean perceived sound right?

Once cables and interconnects are in place, don’t disturb them.  Cables and interconnects seem to “settle” and sound better over time, a process that must begin anew if the cables are moved.  Move them only for cleaning.

• Robert Snarley
14 hours ago, crenca said:

This thread is about false understandings and false analogies.  It's about the 'sound' of digital cables,  grounding boxes, temporal smear, or perhaps the color of your marker.

Post your favorite false reasoning for the usual audiophooldom furniture.

Today, my favorite is:

Note:  off topic posts will be tolerated as long as the expand the soundstage and offer a bit of extra air....

Any analogy between high resolution audio and high resolution video.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

4 hours ago, adamdea said:

Any analogy between high resolution audio and high resolution video.

Maybe it was here, maybe elsewhere - but I was reading recently a photographer explain how it is common for them to add distortion back into a dig photo in post processing, because this has the effect of adding "grain" makes the photo appear to have extra detail - the intentionally (low level) distorted photo appears to have higher resolution.  Apparently this is common/well understood practice.

I wondered to myself if this is not similar to how some distortion (but not all) such as that added by wet, warmish, reverbant, pleasant sounding tubes - which most of us have experienced directly.

Pure speculation and probably false anologizing of course...  😉

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

The improved sound of a cable after break-in is largely due to charging the cable’s dielectric (the insulation material around the conductors), a charge that dissipates over time.  It may thus be necessary to periodically “re-enhance” your cables, especially if they haven’t been used in some time.

• Robert Snarley
19 hours ago, crenca said:

Maybe it was here, maybe elsewhere - but I was reading recently a photographer explain how it is common for them to add distortion back into a dig photo in post processing, because this has the effect of adding "grain" makes the photo appear to have extra detail - the intentionally (low level) distorted photo appears to have higher resolution.  Apparently this is common/well understood practice.

I wondered to myself if this is not similar to how some distortion (but not all) such as that added by wet, warmish, reverbant, pleasant sounding tubes - which most of us have experienced directly.

Pure speculation and probably false anologizing of course...  😉

Sharpening in lightroom, if I get chance I will do an over bloated sharpening, you can see the noise. You have control over the size, depth etc. of the noise. Bit like my current favourite system, SET with open baffle speakers... bad though it may be having that distortion, I prefer its presentation to a more accurate system.

On 8/1/2019 at 5:58 PM, mansr said:

Since a CD laser is (barely visible) red, so the reasoning goes, painting the edges in the complementary colour green will have the best effect.

This is why Gucci cables sound better.  Here's a close-up of their USB line:

spacer.png