IGNORED

Staying on topic

5 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Alex, what could be hot these days (at least it would be my very subject) is that the battery will supply you 240V (48V actually) for 2days, and that when it is cloudy on top of it.

Hi Peter

Interestingly, 48V is the nominal battery voltage of most Telephone Exchanges which are floated to a typical 52V

Going right off topic now, but years ago Exchanges like Chatswood in Sydney then used a Motor Generator running off the 52V to provide 130V DC for the power used by the Vacuum Tube Carrier Systems of the time.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

23 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Hi Peter

Interestingly, 48V is the nominal battery voltage of most Telephone Exchanges which are floated to a typical 52V

Going right off topic now, but years ago Exchanges like Chatswood in Sydney then used a Motor Generator running off the 52V to provide 130V DC for the power used by the Vacuum Tube Carrier Systems of the time.

Alex

Would be fascinating to hear some of the stories of about how exchanges worked - and didn't work :) - back in the Dark Ages before NBN, Alex ... or perhaps I should say, the New Dark Ages we currently have, ;).

11 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

somebody rename this thread to "Straying Off Topic"

You effectively did that way back in post 18

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

10 hours ago, thotdoc said:

I get it, 'the group' does not want to stay on topic.

Thank you for responding. 

I was willing to try because of the experience I have related my other hobby. I race a Porsche in SCCA and the related websites, of SCCA, PCA, and Pelican Parts, provide thousands of threads related to car preparation and maintenance...all self governing related to staying very much on topic. When I need information, I get it from engineers and racers without having to read through everyone's MM. 

The only topic to stay on topic around here for the last few years is this one, "SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!".

Over the three years, great contributions have seen this thread develop into new methods. Like your car forum, if there's a goal with several alternatives to achieve the same purpose, topics stay on discussion.

Cable threads typically, around here are infested with maggot posts, gnawing away at the flesh until nothing is left, drying up discussions one thread after the other, talk about censorship, but mostly just insults. one sentence posts, and condescending vitriol spouting knowledge as if the almighty is being quoted to try........ this used to be a fun place, now talk is mainly power supplies, and how not to screw up Euphony or other ho hum Linux efforts. 

Oh in this thread, all the blowflies have gathered in an impedance null, the thread that wold be more at home at Hydrogen audio, or Super Best audio Friends. Hardly original though as a similar thread is on the Roon forums.

In the meantime, the Ignore Thread button is getting a good work out, 13 topics in the first 20 in the General forum, mainly bickering and chaos. What's Best in Audio seems to have the right mix with hardly any flies in sight.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

LOL... Nice to see an open minded view of a public forum. The problem is science is only accepted when it supports the belief, otherwise it is denounced...

You do need to read the threads with a more open mind to see where from the vitriol flows.😀

Its only audio, a hobby enjoy it, I do.

8 hours ago, One and a half said:

The only topic to stay on topic around here for the last few years is this one, "SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!".

Over the three years, great contributions have seen this thread develop into new methods. Like your car forum, if there's a goal with several alternatives to achieve the same purpose, topics stay on discussion.

Cable threads typically, around here are infested with maggot posts, gnawing away at the flesh until nothing is left, drying up discussions one thread after the other, talk about censorship, but mostly just insults. one sentence posts, and condescending vitriol spouting knowledge as if the almighty is being quoted to try........ this used to be a fun place, now talk is mainly power supplies, and how not to screw up Euphony or other ho hum Linux efforts. 

It's a matter of group norms. It is up to us to tell people they are off topic and to stop posting off topic. If enough people do it, the norm will change.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

On 8/1/2019 at 8:06 AM, botrytis said:

Why? Going off topic if fun...... :D

It's fun if that's what you think is fun.  

What I think is fun is getting the information I need to answer the question I have and with that information fix the problem and go have fun.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

On 8/1/2019 at 8:23 AM, audiobomber said:

There's already an Off-Topic button. I pushed it on your post just to call your attention to this feature. 😁

Where is the off topic button?

Thank you

G

18 hours ago, thotdoc said:

..the related websites, of SCCA, PCA, and Pelican Parts, provide thousands of threads related to car preparation and maintenance...all self governing related to staying very much on topic. When I need information, I get it from engineers and racers without having to read through everyone's MM. 

not an appropriate analogy tho

e.g. Pelican has an Off-Topic section, and that section has it's own Way-Off-Topic section

the 911 forum on Pelican is similar to this one w.r.to threads going off-topic and I have monitored and posted there since it began about 20 years ago - not to mention that there are several moderators there

I have been on & off PCA for 25 years (911 and Boxster) - it is not an open forum for one thing

But, why not offer a way to improve this place?  For example, you could ask a question as the OP of a thread, then delete OT posts (after Chris grants you that ability).

I think an intro to digital audio would help some people (tho others do not want to learn - GUTB).

Some Threads I have started ("Best DAC under $xxx" and "Best speakers under $xxx") seem fine to me.

Controversial topics will often attract people with religious beliefs, and who spurn methods used to find out actual facts, so that will cause a lot of noise to infest the signal.

18 hours ago, sandyk said:

The problem was that you posted a very specific query , where very few members would have had direct experience with.

I still believe that for the Audio side at least, that you should consider the possibility of using direct battery power without conversion to A.C. if at all possible. You would need to get some custom built gear though.

It was a specific query...and if 1 person answered it and I got the information I need to solve the problem, that would be fine. 

Thank you for your input and ideas re using the battery as a source.

6 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

not an appropriate analogy tho

e.g. Pelican has an Off-Topic section, and that section has it's own Way-Off-Topic section

the 911 forum on Pelican is similar to this one w.r.to threads going off-topic and I have monitored and posted there since it began about 20 years ago - not to mention that there are several moderators there

I have been on & off PCA for 25 years (911 and Boxster) - it is not an open forum for one thing

But, why not offer a way to improve this place?  For example, you could ask a question as the OP of a thread, then delete OT posts (after Chris grants you that ability).

I think an intro to digital audio would help some people (tho others do not want to learn - GUTB).

Some Threads I have started ("Best DAC under $xxx" and "Best speakers under $xxx") seem fine to me.

Controversial topics will often attract people with religious beliefs, and who spurn methods used to find out actual facts, so that will cause a lot of noise to infest the signal.

We do agree that off topic is a problem.

I am trying to do something about it by bringing it up. My suggestion is: If you start a thread and people respond off topic, post to them in public  they are off topic.

If enough of us do that, then a new norm should be developed.

After enough of us do that, then we might approach Chris...but, the is Chris's way of making a living so I do not expect him to really engage in setting of this type of normative statement with his voice.

It is up to us; Chris is not our Dad.

2 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

I am trying to do something about it by bringing it up. My suggestion is: If you start a thread and people respond off topic, post to them in public  they are off topic.

If enough of us do that, then a new norm should be developed.

After enough of us do that, then we might approach Chris...but, the is Chris's way of making a living so I do not expect him to really engage in setting of this type of normative statement with his voice.

It is up to us; Chris is not our Dad.

The person starting a thread can ask Chris at any time for moderation rights allowing them to delete off topic posts.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

LOL... Nice to see an open minded view of a public forum. The problem is science is only accepted when it supports the belief, otherwise it is denounced...

You do need to read the threads with a more open mind to see where from the vitriol flows.😀

Its only audio, a hobby enjoy it, I do.

If that poser only could see the contradictions in about each word against the other ... (but take the 4 sentences against each other for starters).

But with the notice who posts it and what he posts (everywhere).

I explicitly do not want to make it personal - it is only explanatory for what happens day-in day-out, these days. I probably suffer myself from it just the same.

With such "responding" behavior each random "audio" subject/thread goes off the rails right away.

It could be interesting to look into a few threads and see why they go off topic. I mean, what the first post/cause is.

PS: I must apologize, @thotdoc for posting off-topic in this very thread - about the 240V battery thing. I just posted in the wrong thread (you being the originator of the Battery subject). Guilty !

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

20 hours ago, kumakuma said:

The person starting a thread can ask Chris at any time for moderation rights allowing them to delete off topic posts.

k-when the person who started the thread modifies it, it often becomes a flame war. I'm not interested in feeding the monster.

I'm after something different: An agreement by the group that we will not go off topic and when someone does go off topic, they are called out and no one responds to the off topic post. 

I'm trying to change the cultural norm here that going off topic is OK. 

G

11 hours ago, PeterSt said:

If that poser only could see the contradictions in about each word against the other ... (but take the 4 sentences against each other for starters).

But with the notice who posts it and what he posts (everywhere).

I explicitly do not want to make it personal - it is only explanatory for what happens day-in day-out, these days. I probably suffer myself from it just the same.

With such "responding" behavior each random "audio" subject/thread goes off the rails right away.

It could be interesting to look into a few threads and see why they go off topic. I mean, what the first post/cause is.

PS: I must apologize, @thotdoc for posting off-topic in this very thread - about the 240V battery thing. I just posted in the wrong thread (you being the originator of the Battery subject). Guilty !

Thank you. Please get behind this 'revolution'. You are a Senior Member. What would you do to help change the norm?

51 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

I'm after something different: An agreement by the group that we will not go off topic and when someone does go off topic, they are called out and no one responds to the off topic post. 

I'm trying to change the cultural norm here that going off topic is OK. 

Good luck with that!

Getting folks here to agree on anything is a losing battle.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull