IGNORED

beyer 1990 PRO not being HI RES certified

porto

Question

Hi,

Can anyone explain why the beyerdynamic Dt 1990 Pro in not HI RES certified and the Amiron is? 

I can see the same thing occurs in the sennheiser 660s (not HI RES) VS the 650 (HI RES)

Do you think "that matters" when selecting an headphone? I am thinking having the 1990 pro but that detail is bothering me.

My sourche is HIRES certified though...

Please share your thoughs :)

thanks

7 answers to this question

First, I wouldn’t let it bother you at all. I don’t think it really matters if a product has this made up “certification.”

Second, check the frequency response of both headphones. Do the certified phones have a wider response than the uncertified, say above 20 kHz? If yes, then this is the reason for the high res “certification.”

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

In order to carry the Hi-Res Audio logo on their packaging, headphones need to produce an upper frequency of at least 40kHz.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/what-are-hi-res-audio-headphones-and-do-they-sound-better

In the late 1980's, some headphones had a "digital ready" logo, which was just marketing nonsense.

The Hi-Res Audio logo at least has objective, measurable criteria, but it doesn't make much sense either. There is no relationship with the actual sound quality of the headphone. A headphone could reproduce 40kHz, but sound like crap, and another one just go up to 30kHz but sound great.

No human can hear 40kHz, and one could argue that hearing 40kHz would not enhance your enjoyment of the music, since you could hear ugly electronic noises that the recording engineer would have filtered out if he had been able to hear them. In fact, many hi-res releases have such noise beyond 30kHz, which can be seen on the spectrogram.

Claude

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

First, I wouldn’t let it bother you at all. I don’t think it really matters if a product has this made up “certification.”

Second, check the frequency response of both headphones. Do the certified phones have a wider response than the uncertified, say above 20 kHz? If yes, then this is the reason for the high res “certification.”

Thank you so much for your answer. Yes, i will definately go for the 1990

Regards

55 minutes ago, CatManDo said:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/what-are-hi-res-audio-headphones-and-do-they-sound-better

In the late 1980's, some headphones had a "digital ready" logo, which was just marketing nonsense.

The Hi-Res Audio logo at least has objective, measurable criteria, but it doesn't make much sense either. There is no relationship with the actual sound quality of the headphone. A headphone could reproduce 40kHz, but sound like crap, and another one just go up to 30kHz but sound great.

No human can hear 40kHz, and one could argue that hearing 40kHz would not enhance your enjoyment of the music, since you could hear ugly electronic noises that the recording engineer would have filtered out if he had been able to hear them. In fact, many hi-res releases have such noise beyond 30kHz, which can be seen on the spectrogram.

Thank you for the detailed amd well describef explanation. It really makes all sense. 

Decidef with 1990 pro

Thanks once again 

Beyerdynamic applies the "Hi-Res Audio" logo to the Amiron Home, not to the DT 1990 Pro, despite broadly similar high frequency performance. IMO, "Hi-Res" is specified for the Amiron because it may matter to domestic consumers. Pro sound people are a lot less likely to care about this useless spec.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.