IGNORED

What is everyone running their ROON core on?

Currently I am running mine on a repurposed 2011 Mac mini connected to my network via ethernet cable in the storage closet here in my office. With the Optical connection of the Signature Rendu I can't imagine this would cause any degradation in sound quality. I have considered getting a newer Mac mini to replace it with more horsepower because ROON does take some CPU when it operates on the 2011 i5 mini.

No electron left behind.

Mac Mini (Late 2014), Intel Core i7, 3 GHz, 16 GB.  I'm also thinking about updating to a current Mini - current server will upsample to DSD512 via Roon or DSD256 via HQPlayer - I'd really like to get to DSD512 via HQPlayer, as I think it sounds just THAT much better than Roon ;)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

26 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Currently I am running mine on a repurposed 2011 Mac mini connected to my network via ethernet cable in the storage closet here in my office.

If you're happy with the replacement to be a dedicated Roon Core in the closet and you're fully invested in Roon, I highly recommend getting one of the Roon recommended Intel NUC's and loading ROCK  (Roon OS) onto it.

It's very much a 'set it and forget it' solution, after you've done the installation.

If you need the replacement Mac to do other stuff though (in addition to Roon) then obviously this solution won't work.

Since it sits in a storage room, I use a tower PC (best bang for your buck) from Micro Center.  It's there own line called Power Spec, G355.  It comes with no needless bloatware from popular manufactures. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Xeon in tower case , with Win2016 on 128Gb SSD. Lots of air to cool the insides, lives in the garage, well away from audio devices. 

Jcat net Femto card provides some conditioning for Ethernet streamer. Files are pulled from another Win2016 file server.

Tried Mac mini 2012 model, too much grit in the sound from USB. I would not use a consumer macOS or Win10 for dedicated audio, although in time it could be tamed, I’m used to Windows and it works, and don’t need to ask “is there a Mac version” for software, those days are gone.

Although the current Xeon server sounds good, the twin Xeon HP-Z800 was a little better, but now close to 9 years old, reliability is a problem, spares are refurbished only, it’s kept for the really tough audio editing tasks only.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

running roon core on a nuc8i5 with 16g ram.  booting to ram from usb running audiolinux.  found this sound more refined than running rock on the same machine with ssd.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I prefer the 2-PC solution. The Roon Core can remain on the old PC or Mac and a new powerful computer does the work with HQPlayer.

36383029ym.png

6 hours ago, rando said:

Mine is running out of RAM...  :P

You better run out and get some!

Anyway, the reason I am considering a new Mac mini to run ROON Core on is that if I want to upsample to DSD, I can. Longevity, it can sit in the closet, run 24/7 in silence and provide music to the Sonore Signature Rendu over the network via an external drive connected directly to the mini and from Qobuz and TIDAL. I can make the external drive accessible over the network and add music to it from my desk, easily...  I don't need to learn to work with a command line or over the network to operate it, it's essentially plug and play. I am already accustomed to the interface, how to work with it, and manipulate it, and I like it.

No electron left behind.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:30 PM, StreamFidelity said:

I prefer the 2-PC solution. The Roon Core can remain on the old PC or Mac and a new powerful computer does the work with HQPlayer.

36383029ym.png

Sorry but, that looks like the most needlessly over complicated thing I could possibly dream up.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Sorry but, that looks like the most needlessly over complicated thing I could possibly dream up.

Does it? I see a 2 box solution (server and endpoint) with a switch between them. That's it. All powered by linear power supplies. Looks pretty simple to me.

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

6 hours ago, pvanosta said:

After unsuccessful attempts to run ROON on my Synology NAS, I bit the bullet and bought a fanless i5 NUC with16GB ram and an SSD to run ROCK. Nothing else runs on the NUC. Completely silent and completely problem-free from day 1.

yep -- rock on a nuc is rock solid, no doubt about that!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
7 hours ago, Nenon said:

Does it? I see a 2 box solution (server and endpoint) with a switch between them. That's it. All powered by linear power supplies. Looks pretty simple to me.

yeah, I like simple.

Here is my route.

Mini > router > Rendu > Mcintosh

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, Nenon said:

You also have a server, an endpoint, and a network device between them :). 

I get your point, though. 

not following -- his mini is his server, his router is the network device, and the rendu is his endpoint.  doesn't seem like anything is missing . . .