David Young

Phasure HDMI^2 I2S cable experiences?

Rate this topic

I've seen lots of discussion regarding Phasure's Lush and Lush^2 USB cables but haven't found much of anything on their HDMI^2 I2S cable. (Certainly to some degree a reflection of USB vs I2S use.) If anyone has experience with the Phasure HDMI^2 I2S to share, especially in reference to other I2S/HDMI cables that are/were in the same price range when new, I'd very much appreciate it. Currently have a used AQ Vodka HDMI cable in my system: Matrix X-SPDIF 2 -> AudioQuest Vodka HDMI -> Holo Audio Spring DAC.

Thanks!

Hi David,

We can wait a little longer, but I think I know in advance that not many people (if at all) will respond. It's a bit of a chicken-egg thing at this moment. I mean, when this cable emerged, I asked people in advance whether they like to share their experiences with the HDMI^2 (ET^2 the same), but somehow these people are in a group that does not like to post at all, anywhere (they plainly tell me so, honestly). Maybe this is no surprise, knowing that most of these people are from mainland China, who don't speak English much.

All together this cable is going slow (maybe 15 sold so far) which is statistically too few for the "maybe one out of 25 shares his findings" anyway. With the Lush^2 this would even be a too low estimate.

What I do hear back of most is an immediate "wow !" (and if not, let them speak up - haha). But this is what it stays at; no further comments on config experiments and with that no experience by me. Additionally I myself don't use the HDMI^2 - I just don't have an application for it.

Btw, the "wow" is to be expected if we look at how the cable is made, which at least is x times better than the standard cables and even how "audiophile" cables are made (I don't see any real "thinking" behind them, contrary to what I write about it myself in the webshop (not disclosing everything of course)). This obviously assumes that you are able to hear differences with HDMI cables in the first place, and if so I almost dare to guarantee that this will sound better right out of the (config) box. And then you can still start tweaking the sound with the configs, which really works out the same as with the Lush^2. That guarantee is by 100% - you will see (if you dare to take the plunge).

What may come from this thread is at least a center to share experiences. This wasn't there because I felt reluctant to create one (as the one with commercial interest). So thank you for that.

Btw, what I could do is ask those who bought the HDMI^2 to share in this thread, after all. But to be honest I am not so much the kind of person who abuses email addresses which had to be shared for other reasons. So I really hope this thread comes alive a little, automatically.

Thanks and best regards,

Peter

Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Thank you very much for your response, Peter. And agreed, let's hope to hear from perhaps a handful of your typically non-posting HDMI^2 customers. I must say that I do understand the tendency since I don't often post, either. (Albeit not due to any language barrier.) Search and read lots, though!

David

Hi Peter,

Has any pattern emerged yet concerning the  HDMI^2 cable length vs. performance (when used for i2s transfer) ?

I have not consistently used anything longer than 0.5M between DDC and DAC.

I once tried 1M (same model cable) for some testing, but seemed to lose some coherence.

These setups were all with WireWorld quality cables.

Being able to safely stretch to 1M may be worth the investment in my case.

41 minutes ago, motberg said:

Has any pattern emerged yet concerning the  HDMI^2 cable length vs. performance (when used for i2s transfer) ?

Hi Motberg,

Nah ... but this is virtually impossible, unless people start to buy two of a different length and compare. And otherwise how could I know myself from customers ...

All I know is that i2s it not made for any length of substance BUT it is all about the quality (in various attributes) of the cable as a whole just the same. And this is what I put all the attention too; create a cable for i2s usage that requires the least of "drive", because that is out of our control (this is under the control of your "interface manufacturer" who probably joined in with a hype.

I try to think relative ...

IIRC two or three out there are 1m of length. At least they work, and at least they sound for the way better than whatever one had (which I don't know). In some heydays I used i2s at (IIRC) 80cm myself and it replaced an S/PDIF connection. The i2s, despite its length, sounded infinitely better. Still it was way too long and (theoretically) incurred for a lot of jitter. This became clear very well when I assembled the interface of concern right next to the DAC and the piece of i2s became 10 or so cm and the sound was again way better (this is something like 15 years ago).

Relative to that and the poor UTP cable I used for it, and with that explicitly in mind, I tried to improve on that with the HDMI^2 cable. Thicker gauge, lower capacitance, way better shielding, super decent connections and connectors plus a standard implied which for HDMI itself not even exists.

That there's the ^2 shielding is a bonus, but do not forget that the 3 additional shields because of the ^2 application also do a few things to the signal integrity (which unlike e.g. USB is super crucial in this case (as in: 100% crucial).

In my opinion, but this is theoretical, a one meter i2s cable of the caliber of the HDMI^2 should be about as OK as the short lengths (like 10cm) i2s is meant for. And oh, please notice that since I design DACs with the lowest net jitter at the outputs, I also know a few things about how to set up the i2s connections which in our case is 32/768 for 10 years by now.  So with that all in mind I'd say that the 1m HDIM^2 will be very OK. But don't overdo it (we can make the cable 10m long if you want, but it won't work well o.O).

If things work out problematic, I would look at the damping resistors. For this, there's no general recipe and it is not said that a present e.g. 27 Ohm which might be (should be !) present in your interface works out the best for the larger lengths. So people always talk about length for digital cables, know that too short is not the best most often (like for S/PDIF) but this is all related to reflections which these "damping" resistors are for (which relates to the driving current when things are on the limits).

You want two of a different length ? haha

But seriously, we could send you two of a different length and you send one back. And then we know it, for one situation ... (not very efficient but I don't care).

Regards,

Peter

Lush^2      Blaxius^2      Ethernet^2     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)