IGNORED

Article: Volumio Primo review

Thanks, interesting product. I enjoyed the review but at least one sonic comparison would have been nice. Or do you believe that all streamers sound the same?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Thanks, interesting product. I enjoyed the review but at least one sonic comparison would have been nice. Or do you believe that all streamers sound the same?

+1

The Volumio Primo faces certainly some strong competition with the both upcoming Allo USBridge Signature and Allo Revolution USB-DAC.

Further competition for around 1k is the Lindemann Limetree streamer plus DAC.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

35 minutes ago, matthias said:

The Volumio Primo faces certainly some strong competition with the both upcoming Allo USBridge Signature and Allo Revolution USB-DAC.

Further competition for around 1k is the Lindemann Limetree streamer plus DAC.

Also Pro-Ject Stream Box S2, SOtM sMs-200 & Sonore microRendu. Even the little Raspberry Pi has upped its game with the 4th version.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

"The OS runs out of RAM to improve audio quality."

Neat trick that!

Thanks for the enjoyable and concise review.  Quite clear you have everything else in an order that allows focus on what you're drawn towards in the new component under observation.

Id be curious to see how it stacks up against the MiniDSP SHD studio. A bit more expensive at $899 but you get Dirac built in and the Studios is all digital and takes an outboard (ie: upgradeable) power supply. Frankly I am quite surprised this Volumio streamer isn't getting way more traction in the forums here. I mean come on we all have great DACS here on this website.

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

On 7/27/2019 at 4:56 AM, audiobomber said:

Since it's a streamers role to deliver content bit perfectly, they should all sound the same, and if this one fails at such a task, then it's broken... 🤣

5 hours ago, Bill_G said:

Since it's a streamers role to deliver content bit perfectly, they should all sound the same, and if this one fails at such a task, then it's broken... 🤣

I assume you are saying this based on "scientific" theory and not actual listening experience? 🙄

I use Chromecast Audio, Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and SOtM sMs-200 streamers. I can assure you that none are broken, and none sound alike. The streamers even sound different from themselves when I change power supplies. This should not surprise anyone who actually listens and doesn't have a closed mind.

For anyone interested in the Primo, I recommend this video:

20 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I assume you are saying this based on "scientific" theory and not actual listening experience? 🙄

I use Chromecast Audio, Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and SOtM sMs-200 streamers. I can assure you that none are broken, and none sound alike. The streamers even sound different from themselves when I change power supplies. This should not surprise anyone who actually listens and doesn't have a closed mind.

A performance analysis with a lab grade audio analyzer showing actual differences in output, or it only happened in your brain. That'll be the only evidence anyone with a extensive science and engineering background will ever accept. Our senses are too unreliable, too easily fooled by our emotion states and perceptions, to be accepted as valid evidence. So, yes... my mind is closed to opinions and anecdotal "evidence"... 👨🏾‍⚕️

35 minutes ago, Bill_G said:

So, yes... my mind is closed

That is the only part of your post I can agree with.

I have a mechanical engineering background, people who design audio equipment have deep engineering and/or scientific backgrounds. Some of them post here. So your opinion that all engineers agree with your "measurements only" POV is clearly egotistical nonsense.

My audio beliefs are based on extensive listening in my own system. Until I confirm it for myself, in my room, through my system, with my music, for an extended period, everything is just another opinion.

I like to view measurements of audio gear, but measurements alone have not stood up to my personal reality test as a predictor of sound quality. I won't reply further, as this discussion is not about the Primo.

This article started off with a brilliant dictionary definition of where the conversation on it is going.  Surely I cannot be the only one wondering which of you will gain the upper hand by the time you've finished working out your act.  

primo | ˈprēmō |

noun (plural primos) Music
the leading or upper part in a duet.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Get over it guys. Nobody wants to read two guys bicker back and forth. 

It was already over.

Because I like to use reference points to understand where a product's relative advantages may lay, it seems to me that the hardware benchmark in this space is the Auralic Aries femto or Mini. Or the Sonore mRendu/ultra. Or one of those DDC reclockers like Singer? 

I can't speak for and don't understand the software side as it all seems so DIY Github-hauntingly discouraging unless you pony up for Roon (I don't; my own problem). Anyway, it's helpful to see the software a little since that's what you touch. I wish we got as much software analysis as hardware.

And for me, it seems the major hardware contenders recently are the Pro-Ject Streambox S2 Ultra or the Allo Digi-One Signature (and assorted power options and cables which have to be factored in as well). I wasn't aware of the updates to some of these mentioned earlier–thanks. And if you're gonna stretch maybe the Metrum Acoustics Ambre?

So many choices and configurations, who has time to listen to music? 😉

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Just heard Hans' review of the software in the video above. Thanks, @audiobomber

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2019 at 7:00 PM, bobfa said:

Several folks have asked about some comparisons to other “streamers”.  I  have done direct comparisons on my Kii Three system with Sonos Connect, Chromecast Audio, Chromecast with an inexpensive audio extractor and Amazon Echo Link.  None of them come close to the Primo.  The digital output of the Primo just sounds better all the way around.  You can find other comparisons out there such as the one from Hans B. Or John Darko.  

None of the above systems hold a candle to  my custom server running Roon to a Signature Rendu SE Optical over USB to the Kii Three system.  This stuff all sounds different.

But for me the Analog output of the Primo is one of the more important features.  Driving the analog input on the Schiit LYR3 is really great.  I had only tested the Multibit DAC in the LYR3 and with Primo direct is more dynamic, more relaxing, and easy on the ears.  To my HD800 headphones this is a real sweet spot.

Also the Primo is just a bit more than a simple streamer, it is also a music server.  The lines are blurred here!    

John Darko did open his demo unit up and there are some pictures on his website.  The Primo has an external power brick that I have not really looked at all that closely. 5V 3A I think.  I am sure it is a switching supply.  I am not really inclined to throw $500 to $1K at a power supply for the Primo.  Or any fancy networking.  That is not the role it fills in my listening.

I am in the process of writing more on the Primo to add to the review from my vacation, streaming from a local hard drive and no internet!  File Based audio (hat tip to  Hans B.)  

You compared this with 29 dolar Chromecast and <50 dollar Echo? Seriously. Compare it with Node 2i which is in a similar price range. Or with Aureliac or ELAC DDP2 or something more serious.