IGNORED

Noobie advice for local music server

Manu,

welcome to AS!
The lowest cost solution -afaik- would be the RPi with the latest Volumio: it is set up in less than 5 minues, but will ask you to shed money on extras like Qobuz or Tidal plug ins. As an alternative, PiCorePlayer with LMS (Logitech Media Server) and Squeezelite, using the Material Skin, controlled by IPeng for IOS or SqueezePlayer/Orange for Android would do just greatly.
I need to admit, the Volumio design is more colorful and the setup really easy, but the piCorePlayer allows you to tinker a bit more on the subjects of server, player and interface, The help pages in the slimdevice forum are as well a great deal.
As you will be very dependend on the USB transfer, I'd second the RPi 4 with a new USB design (2x USB 2 -2xUSB3), and eventually testing with an USB Wifi transmitter, if needed, instead of internal WiFi. The Pi 4 should be available as of today, depending where you are situated.

As for my experience lately, the use of an iFi power supply for the Pi (in comparison to Pi standard power supply) helps to minimise RFI/EMI noise arriving in your system.
This would be the low cost entrance to local streaming, about 150 Euros (PI 4, 4Gb, SD-Card, Case, Ifi-PS), after that you are free to pay any pre-defined sum to upgrade and get more happiness (or not) 😉 
Personalyl, I do use 2 older RPi models for my summer system (low eco footprint, substitutes music server plus NAS for the momentary heatwave in Europe), one close to my router as LMS server (RPi2 with an USB HD) and one on my desktop (RPi 3b with USB wifi, connected to an USB DAC) feeding headphones or the desktop speakers, controlled by old Android devices. Nothing wrong with that 😉
IMHO, the use of an RPi as a streamer is entry level to audiophile experience, and this first step has already a lot to offer ...
I you case the first purpose of a RPi would be to get your AMP/DAC into the network and have an graphical control interface for the choosen music player on any of your networked devices. By the way, there had been a JRIVER  SD card for Pi available last year, I am just not sure if the controls via Android are recommendable. I have just checked in my network, both, Foobar2k and JRiver may use the PiCoreplayer as output device via UPnP , just in case you dont want to run the LMS server.

Cheers Tom