IGNORED

Bluetooth Sports IEM - looking for suggestions

I am looking for a reliable BT Sports IEM. Doesn't have to be true wireless.

I recently had a brief love affair with the JayBird X4. Unfortunately, they did not even last 30 days. The good news was that I could return them for a full refund since they failed within 30 days.

These will be used mostly for gym workouts on an elliptical machine and for walks. I sweat a lot so they have to be of the "sport", sweat resistant variety.

The online reviews are useless. I need to hear from people that have real long term experience with the BT Sport IEM market. Should be under $150, but I can go up to $200 if they are reliable. Reliability is the key here. Sound quality can be just OK. I use HD800s headphones for serious HP listening.

Any suggestions?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I would go with the Shure SE215 Wireless set-up:

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-BT1-Isolating-Earphones-Communication/dp/B074QQNY64

with Comply Sport Pro tips:

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/sx-series/

Build quality is great.

The Shure Bluetooth cable is detachable and will work with all Shure IEMs. You can also replace with a standard Shure cable if you want to go wired.

Flip the cable behind your head when exercising.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 hour ago, rando said:

If it has holes for sound to escape from it will die a little more every time you use it during a workout.  No exceptions.  

Never tried them, but did you consider bone conduction?  

But wouldn't that also apply to wired IEM's? I've gotten up to three years use out of wired IEM's.

Bone conduction doesn't work for me. I'm not sure why. I got better sound quality out of a pair of $5 wired IEM's.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

@kumakuma

I'm a big Comply foam tips person. Expensive for what you get, but well worth it for sound isolation and bass response.

The Shure SE215 look like a good choice. I like that they designed in the "over ear" placement similar to Westone wired IEM's. I have found that IEM's that make the over ear placement a design feature have a better fit than those that permit conversions from over to under ear. Those never feel right in the over ear position. The JayBird X4's were like that.

12 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

@kumakuma

I'm a big Comply foam tips person. Expensive for what you get, but well worth it for sound isolation and bass response.

The Shure SE215 look like a good choice. I like that they designed in the "over ear" placement similar to Westone wired IEM's. I have found that IEM's that make the over ear placement a design feature have a better fit than those that permit conversions from over to under ear. Those never feel right in the over ear position. The JayBird X4's were like that.

I've never used Westone IEM's but I think they are similar. In fact, I think both use the same MMCX connectors. The Shure wires are bendable and go behind your ears.

BTW, another good option for the Shure IEMs are SpinFit tips:

https://spinfiteartip.com/en/product-list

They aren't as noise cancelling as the Comply tips but they pop right in and out eliminating the "scrunching" needed with the Comply tips.

They are a good solution when hanging with the wife who always seems to start talking at me as soon as I get my IEMs in. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the Shure SE215 BT IEMs. They lasted less than 2 weeks. The charging cable no longer works. The LED stays on red. Pushing and holding the on/off button does nothing.

Shure responded to send them back the cable and they would replace it.

I bought from an authorized dealer (Full Compass) and they sent me an replacement pair right away. Fingers crossed but at this point I'm not optimistic about this technology.

I've used wired IEM's 40 years, since the original Sony Walkman. The convenience of not having to deal with wires, at the gym, while walking...etc. was a powerful attraction and when I finally got the JayBirds and experienced it for myself... It's hard to go back to wires.

The SE215 has a two year warranty, whereby you can keep sending back the broken stuff to Shure (in Illinois) and they keep replacing it. The postage is cheap enough as you don't send back the accessories and packaging. You don't even need an RMA. Just download a form, explain the problem, include a copy of your original invoice stick it in a bubble pack envelope and you're good. I'll just keep doing that until the warranty runs out.

After that I'm done. The form factor of putting a battery powered, sealed BT transmitter/receiver in a tiny compartment is apparently something that can't be done reliably. I've struck up conversations with folks at the gym and my experience is the norm.