IGNORED

Uptoned Mac mini

10 hours ago, Guf Gufler said:

I did the dc power and fan upgrade a few years ago and I powered it with a JS2. Now the JS2 is being used someplace else and I wanted to use the mini again. Can it be powered by something else? 

Sure.  Any +12VDC power supply capable of delivering at least 4.5 amps of current will be able to power your UpTone MMK converted Mac mini.

The DC input jack of our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit is a standard 5.5mm x 2.5mm size barrel connector.

• 7 months later...

I have hankered after an MMK upgrade for my Mac mini for many years but could not afford the JS2 to go with it, however I have read a recent post from a forum member who appears to be using an smps, which has rekindled my interest.

Would such an arrangement be worthwhile, in the short term, given I have just introduced an EtherRegen? (very successfully)

Any views welcome..... and suggestions for a suitable smps.

i hope its ok to hijack this older thread!

19 hours ago, Frojo said:

I have hankered after an MMK upgrade for my Mac mini for many years but could not afford the JS2 to go with it, however I have read a recent post from a forum member who appears to be using an smps, which has rekindled my interest.

Would such an arrangement be worthwhile, in the short term, given I have just introduced an EtherRegen? (very successfully)

Any views welcome..... and suggestions for a suitable smps.

Hi Frojo:

Our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit (MMK; currently for 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 model years only--all the silver ones, not the "Space Grey" 2018) will benefit you even if the external power is another SMPS.  That is because the Linear Fan Controller portion of our kit still functions--powering the fan with smooth, variable DC instead of the 12V/0.5A/25KHz pulse-train of the standard computer-fan PWM controller.  It does not know or matter that the external 12V is coming from an SMPS. (Though of course a nice, quiet, low-impedance linear supply would deliver other benefits.)

Since it is often that people ask us this--while saving for a JS-2 or to have a more portable means of powering their MMK-converted Mac minis--here is the appropriate SMPS we recommend:

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/mean-well/gst90a12p1m-48203266.html

Hope that helps.

Best,

--Alex C.