IGNORED

Beyer DT 1990 Pro

porto

Question

Hi all!

I have a DAP, the Cowon Plenue D2 as source and I am thinking in buying the Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro headphones.

My question: Will the headphones "play well" on the DAP or do you thinl I will be needing a stronger source such as a specific DAP? 

Please click here

to see the specs from Cowon.
I am a complete newbie on these thinks to be honest, but I think I would be fine. I just want your "green light" and be 100% sure before buying the headphones.

Thank you all!

14 answers to this question

I've owned the DT 1990 for about a year. Truly great headphones, especially with the neutral sounding Analytical pads. They are 250 ohms, which is on the high side, but the also-high 102dB/mW sensitivity makes them surprisingly easy to drive. I have not found them to be excessively demanding of a great DAC. Quite the opposite in fact, they are rather forgiving.

Of course sound quality improves considerably with better amps and DACs, but even with my Samsung A5 mobile phone, the available volume exceeds my tolerance level. I formerly drove them with 70mV output from a Korg DAC/headphone amp. With my Schiit Asgard 2, I always use the slightly cleaner low-gain setting.

The Plenue with 2V output will have way more than enough power to drive these headphones. Note that the DT 1990 is unbalanced, therefore unable to take advantage of the Plenue 2's unbalanced output, if that matters to you (should not matter, IMO). 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

I too own a pair of DT1990s.  I thought they were a bit pricey ($600), but I was determined to get a pair of BD headphones that I liked.  These cans did not disappoint.  So long as you have an amp that can drive them properly, they don't disappoint.  The only downside to these cans is it requires significant modifications to install a balanced cable.  My headphone amp can drive both balanced and unbalanced, so I've no need to modify them.  But I am mildly curious what they would sound like in balanced mode.

Hope this helps

14 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I too own a pair of DT1990s.  I thought they were a bit pricey ($600), but I was determined to get a pair of BD headphones that I liked.  These cans did not disappoint.  So long as you have an amp that can drive them properly, they don't disappoint.  The only downside to these cans is it requires significant modifications to install a balanced cable.  My headphone amp can drive both balanced and unbalanced, so I've no need to modify them.  But I am mildly curious what they would sound like in balanced mode.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your opinion. The plenue has a balanced port 2.5mm. The 1990 have 3.5 so I am thinking in having an adaptor from 3.5 to 2.5mm so I can benefit the balanced sound form the source. By the way is there a specific adaptor you think it might get the job better or any of them will do?

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Hope this helps

Thank you for your opinion.

I will definately go for the "balance mode". Adaptor female for the 3.5mm of the 1990 to male 2.5mm balanced of the Pleanue. That DAP has two DUAL DAcs which is impressive.

forget UI, wireless, android etc....Just raw power as a source. Exactly what I want 

Regards,

2 hours ago, porto said:

I will definately go for the "balance mode".

You cannot run unbalanced headphones from a balanced output, you may damage your DAP.

https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

If you are set on having balanced headphones, you need to either extensively modify the DT 1990, or else choose a headphone that accommodates balanced operation, like the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. 

In my opinion, balanced operation is useful in cases where the amp does not have sufficient current to drive the headphones. I doubt balanced vs. unbalanced will matter much if at all with your DAP driving the DT 1990.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

40 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

You cannot run unbalanced headphones from a balanced output, you may damage your DAP.

https://www.moon-audio.com/single-ended-versus-balanced-connection

If you are set on having balanced headphones, you need to either extensively modify the DT 1990, or else choose a headphone that accommodates balanced operation, like the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home. 

In my opinion, balanced operation is useful in cases where the amp does not have sufficient current to drive the headphones. I doubt balanced vs. unbalanced will matter much if at all with your DAP driving the DT 1990.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

First, thank you so much for your info. well...you have an idea how newbie I am with my question, don't you? 

from what I understand you are saying is: in my specific case, "quality speaking", a balance or an unbalanced headphone will not make much difference because my DAP has power enough to support the headphone?

According to some research I done the 1990 Pro is slightly better than the Amiron Home (and lesse expensdive too)

The photo is from my DAP. just go for the left option right ;)))

Pleaseee help! thank u!

images.jpg

2 minutes ago, porto said:

from what I understand you are saying is: in my specific case, "quality speaking", a balance or an unbalanced headphone will not make much difference because my DAP has power enough to support the headphone?

Yes, exactly that.

I purchased the Amiron Home first. I wasn't happy with the warm tonal balance and exaggerated mid-bass, which many listeners do prefer. I received the DT 1990 Pro, compared the two for a week, and happily sent the Amiron back.

The DT 1990 with Analytical pads has the sound quality I wanted. Note again, that many people prefer the DT 1990 with Balanced pads, which exaggerates the mid-bass and results in peakier treble.

8 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Yes, exactly that.

I purchased the Amiron Home first. I wasn't happy with the warm tonal balance and exaggerated mid-bass, which many listeners do prefer. I received the DT 1990 Pro, compared the two for a week, and happily sent the Amiron back.

The DT 1990 with Analytical pads has the sound quality I wanted. Note again, that many people prefer the DT 1990 with Balanced pads, which exaggerates the mid-bass and results in peakier treble.

Many many thanks for your help ;)

I know sometimes instructing newbies with basic info is so so boring. I think the analytical pads are the ones with lots of holes on them. Not the ones that come standard installed, right?

for that amount of money (in Portugal I can get the 1990 Pro for about 480 €), do you think I am doing the correct choice? or do you advise on something better?

1 hour ago, porto said:

I think the analytical pads are the ones with lots of holes on them. Not the ones that come standard installed, right?

for that amount of money (in Portugal I can get the 1990 Pro for about 480 €), do you think I am doing the correct choice? or do you advise on something better?

The Analytical pads have four holes in the back, the Balanced pads have many. 

I can't say whether the DT 1990 is the best choice. There's no doubt that it is a professional quality headphone and worth the money. Your DAP should have plenty of power, but is its sound quality complementary with this particular headphone?

I love the DT 1990. I also love my Grado GH4. Not everyone does. Some people have gear, hearing quirks, or preferences that lead them to the opposite conclusion. And even though I love both headphones, which one I prefer depends on which amp I'm using. You really should bring your DAP to a shop and try some headphones for yourself. It's the only way to be certain that the sound of any given headphone is right for you.

Porto, have you considered form factor? A larger, heavier open-back headphone like the DT 1990 is an unusual choice with a DAP. The supplied cords are also far from ideal for portability. Are you intending this combination for home use only?

Yes, only for home usage. 👍Indeed open back, weight and chords from the beyer will sure make impossible to  leave the door from my house. The DAP, on the other hand, will give me mobility with some budget earphones. The 1990 DT will be only to relax after work. I think the DAP is a good option for both ways: home and exterior. What do u think about it?

On 7/28/2019 at 12:45 AM, porto said:

On 7/27/2019 at 4:38 PM, audiobomber said:

Porto, have you considered form factor? A larger, heavier open-back headphone like the DT 1990 is an unusual choice with a DAP. The supplied cords are also far from ideal for portability. Are you intending this combination for home use only?

sorry to bother you again audiobomber but can you please give your thoughts on this:

I am currently deciding between the 1990 and the Amiron. I ´ve noticed that the beyerdynamic Dt 1990 Pro in not HI RES certified and the AMiron is? 

I can see the same thing occurs in the sennheiser 660s (not HI RES) VS the 650 (HI RES)

Do you think "that matters" when selecting an headphone? I am really pending toward the 1990 pro but that detail is bothering me.

My sourche is HI RES certified though...

thanks so much

2 hours ago, porto said:

I am currently deciding between the 1990 and the Amiron. I ´ve noticed that the beyerdynamic Dt 1990 Pro in not HI RES certified and the AMiron is?

Who does this certification? I've never heard of it.

The DT 1990 Pro was designed for music and sound professionals. Its bass and midrange frequency response with the Analytical pads is more accurate than the Amiron Home. High frequency response is broadly similar, so how could the Amiron be HI RES certified and not the 1990? Certifying the HD 660S and not the HD 650 is equally nonsensical. 

I had both the Amiron and 1990 at the same time, and sent the Amiron back because I value accurate sound over "fun" sound. Most people use the warmer Balanced pads with their DT 1990, I only use Analytical pads. The HD 650, another warm-sounding headphone, has been revered by audiophiles for decades, but again, I don't care for that sound. To me, the Amiron is like an HD 650 with more detail and better dynamics.

I would say that most of the people at Head-Fi prefer the warmer sounding Amiron to the DT 1990. The Amiron can be easily configured for balanced operation with your DAP with a new cord. The DT 1990 has rather heavy clamping force, the Amiron clamping is best described as gentle. I believe the Amiron would be the safer choice for you, and for most people. The DT 1990 is the one for me.

You might want to review this thread to help with your choice:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/professional-vs-home-beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home.838972/

25 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Who does this certification? I've never heard of it.

The DT 1990 Pro was designed for music and sound professionals. Its bass and midrange frequency response with the Analytical pads is more accurate than the Amiron Home. High frequency response is broadly similar, so how could the Amiron be HI RES certified and not the 1990? Certifying the HD 660S and not the HD 650 is equally nonsensical. 

I had both the Amiron and 1990 at the same time, and sent the Amiron back because I value accurate sound over "fun" sound. Most people use the warmer Balanced pads with their DT 1990, I only use Analytical pads. The HD 650, another warm-sounding headphone, has been revered by audiophiles for decades, but again, I don't care for that sound. To me, the Amiron is like an HD 650 with more detail and better dynamics.

I would say that most of the people at Head-Fi prefer the warmer sounding Amiron to the DT 1990. The Amiron can be easily configured for balanced operation with your DAP with a new cord. The DT 1990 has rather heavy clamping force, the Amiron clamping is best described as gentle. I believe the Amiron would be the safer choice for you, and for most people. The DT 1990 is the one for me.

You might want to review this thread to help with your choice:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/professional-vs-home-beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home.838972/

Than you for your answer. You are becoming my "mentor" lololol

I'll go with 1990 honestly, I prefer the "real" sound over the fun sound.

thank you once again for your help. cheers