IGNORED

Ripping CDs to ALAC with macOS Catalina

I can't imagine that it would be any different, but I haven't yet tried. (It's still based on the same framework, and, while there may have been updates to that framework, I can't imagine they would affect ripping other than perhaps making it faster or more efficient.) 

How would the "sound quality" be different if it's lossless?

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wgscott said:

You can use the built-in unix command afhash to assess whether the SHA-1 hash is the same on a track ripped in the new OS vs. an older one.

If the SHA-1 hashes (checksums) are identical, then the audio is bit-identical, so most folks would take that as proof that both sound the same.

But all it takes is a tiny bit of difference in header information for the SHA-1 to be  different. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, bubbamike said:

I don't know why someone would recommend EAC as it is a windows program. It might run under WINE but there is an excellent free Mac ripper in XLD that uses the Accurate Rip data base. dbPoweramp has a Mac version but it is payware though worth the price for the metadata information it provides. 

It's Windows users who don't know anything about the Mac. As often, people chime in in forums about subjects they know little about.