IGNORED

Allo Bridge / Sparky discontinued

I was just getting ready to order a Sparky / Bridge, but found out they are discontinued.

They are going to come out with a new product to replace it, but they are going to use a RPI instead of the Sparky. This sounds like a mistake to me, and the Allo website actually agrees.

They state the following about the disadvantage with using a RPI:

"First, laptops are noisy... very noisy. On USB we usually see spikes at 100mV of noise. That will have an impact on sound system.

How about RPI? RPIs are great and very energy efficient, but on USB they have 2 major flaws. First is that bandwidth is shared between the 2 USB ports (so in fact there is only one USB), and second is that ethernet is also shared on same bus! Of course, you also have the noise on USB at about 60mV.

Maybe Sparky? The 2 USB ports (next to the ethernet port) share one input to the CPU (split by a hub). Noise on USB bus is about 27mV (pretty good) and ethernet is completely apart (bus is not shared). So it's ok, but not great."

So, could someone please explain Allo's thought process here?

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, Simon Moon said:

I just saw on another forum, as of June 19, the Allo USBridge Signature is "6 weeks away max".

This is good news, if true, as that means only a couple of weeks from now.

We can hope this is true.

According to "cdsgames" at diyaudio mid August:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-16.html#post5837226

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 2 weeks later...