IGNORED

My dream iMac...

Maybe this is a pipe dream, but I would like to see Apple do this. I think also that it wouldn't take any sales away from the Mac Pro, people that want it, or need it, are going to buy it regardless.

I want to see the new 32 inch 6K display  with its fancy backside created into an iMac/iMac pro combo. I want the screen to be connected to a frame that allows the rear to be removed for access to the internals EASILY. I want to be able to EASILY upgrade at a minimum the RAM and SSD/NvME drives. If they just decided not to solder down the CPU, you know, I won't tell... Speaking of that CPU, the iMac doesnt need a Xeon Processor now that the Mac Pro is out. But a Core X sure would be nice.  Mmmm, all those cores and hyper threading to boot! They're cheaper than a Xeon too! You know what would be the icing on the cake? The dual GPU that they are putting in the Mac Pro, make that a BTO option...

If all that comes in under/at 10K for the maximum options, a Core i9 9980XE, 128GB of RAM, the Dual GPU, 6K display I would buy one tomorrow...  swear to god.

I know someone will say I could just buy a Mac Pro...  You and I both know the Mac Pro will cost more. First, Xeons cost more. Second, Xeons need ECC Memory, that costs more, third, the Pro upcharge, Fourth, I would need to buy a separate display, expanding the user base would allow Apple to make more money on the screen.

I really think the Pros that actually need terabytes of ram and 4 GPUS and two Xeon processors, etc... will clearly still be buying the Mac Pro.

Why you ask?  Because I would be using that computer for AGES...

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

32" iMac Pro will happen, yes

the rest of your good ideas are bad for Apple's profit margin...

You know, Apple could sell and install the upgrades themselves, and people would actually buy them, if they didn't try to upcharge for everything 150% over every one else.

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

Sure they could.  But they'd want to keep out the hoi polloi - how?    OTOH, my Apple stock is doing pretty well, so...

What I want is an all SSD iMac so it'll be faster than the 209 Fusion one I have - big screen too

I think even the base iMac will go all SSD next time around, no more Fusion drives. SSD prices are going down pretty fast.

No electron left behind.

I can build nearly that computer, but with Linux, without a screen but an Nvidia RTX 2080TI for $7481 and buy a monitor separately. You may argue that yes but the 6K monitor is 5K...  Yes, that's Apples price...

https://system76.com/cart/configure/thelio-major-b2

i9 9980EX

128GB RAM

2x 1TB NvME in a RAID 0

RTX 2080TI

and a 3 year warranty.

I bet I could run MacOS in a Virtual Machine on it too... 

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

lots of good big monitors available now - a photographer's forum will be knowledgeable about which ones (NEC?)

you may be a Hackintosh candidate -  fun project and would keep you off the streets and out of trouble

I am thinking about it...  I have read and fully understand the Vanilla guide at this point.

Right now the new 2020 C8 Corvette Configurator is keeping me out of trouble on the streets, but may be leading to future problems in the sheets...

hahaha

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Ha - it's pretty ugly (at least in red) but you cannot argue with the price or engineering - Jalopnik has an article on the latter

Maybe a rebuild of a GTO would make a nice project???

I don't think it's ugly at all, in fact I really like it. Considering I can get one hell of a car for less than the starting price of a new GT4 is really something. Considering the previous gen C7 Grand Sport with only 460hp was .1 of a second slower around the long track at VIR than the GT3 RS... It has a LOT of potential. 500hp and a DCT with improved dynamics could well overcome that .1 of a second deficit.

No electron left behind.

You know, I've been thinking...  I would (maybe) be able to buy a Mac Pro for the price I would like to spend for my dream iMac, with a long future of upgradability (hopefully) ahead of it. What am I not seeing here other than my desire for an All in One system. Heck, I even already have an external monitor I am using for my MacBook Pro here on my desk.

Edit 1: one of the things I foresee is more expensive upgrades...

No electron left behind.

15 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

You know, I've been thinking...  

always dangerous!

OTOH, a used or refurbed Mac Pro could work out ok - AND you can spend a couple of years thinking about it while waiting for one to come along

I am guilty of thinking too - one thought was that the all in one iMac package is unappealing - it is quite easy to stow a box under a desk with the monitor on top.  Further, one has better upgradability (bad for Snapple's corp. profits I guess)...

On 7/22/2019 at 12:44 AM, AudioDoctor said:

I think even the base iMac will go all SSD next time around, no more Fusion drives. SSD prices are going down pretty fast.

They probably keep the fusion drive model for education, where price is more important than speed. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

You can keep your i9 - just get a Ryzen 3 cpu. More bang for the buck and doesn't have the nagging holes that Intel has with their CPU's currently.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

You would have to convince Apple of that, second Intel has secured the vulnerabilities.

No - https://www.byte-werx.com/2019/06/05/new-security-vulnerabilities-found-in-intel-processors/

This was from Jun 5th this year. The supposed fixes were from before. This is a NEW ONE.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects