IGNORED

How to Stream Local Music Library Remotely?

Hi Jud.

And hello everyone.This is my first post for several years. I usually browse posts and take advice, which has been invaluable. But your search Jud above prompts me to post with my recent experience.

I have tried several ways of taking my music with me over several years on my commute to and from work, including Google Play uploading (transcoding down to 320 kbs - not my preference either) and carrying all my music on a SeaGate wifi drive and playing on my iPhone with mConnect or similar app (I had to make sure the Drive was charged, setup took time and connection often did so too).

I started backing up my music in the last year to OneDrive after Crashplan stopped its consumer plan. I realised that since I have an Office 365 subscription (for Outlook, Word, Excel, etc) I had 1 TB of cloud storage sitting there doing nothing.

If you also have OneDrive with enough free space (I realise your Google Drive is limited) or can get some cloud storage cheaply/free, there are now a number of apps on iOS that play music directly from the cloud. I tried several, and settled on CloudBeats. There’s a free trial version. Paid version is about AUS $8.

I find this solution easy, almost free (for me) and I only have to have my iPhone with me. I can play my songs at full resolution. My music is nicely sorted with art work and genre. As I write this it’s sounding like an ad for the app. It isn’t. I have no affiliation. It’s a vote for the solution. 😊

I hope this is of some assistance. Cheers.

Edit. Apparently this app also plays from a home server. If that helps.

• 2 weeks later...