IGNORED

Audio Store Server - Power Upgrade?

Hi All.

I am currently using this to power my Roon experience: https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Audiostore_Prestige_3/p317978_16932231.aspx

It's running the stock SMPS. I am thinking about replacing that with either an appropriate HDPlex supply, or one from MCRU/Long Dog Audio. Have any of you taken this step? In your opinion was there any improvement as a result? Do you feel the improvement justified the cost?

Simple questions hopefully!

TIA.

4 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

Thanks Davide, but I wouldn't want to wait. The Paul Hynes threads don't make good reading, even if the product itself seems to be excellent. Or has he now sorted his production issues?

As best I can tell from buyer reporting on CA,  he runs about 3-4 months behind. The wait has me sitting on my hands also.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

The HDPLEX 200w definitely helps with clarity vs stock 19v DC SMPS supply for a NUC in a Roon/AL or Roon/Euphony environment.  But getting on the wait list

for a Paul Hynes SR4 could be a better choice for similar amount of money.

The Hynes SR4 is rated at 2A. So it is highly unlikely that it will be enough to power @George Hincapie‘s music server.

16 hours ago, Superdad said:

The Hynes SR4 is rated at 2A. So it is highly unlikely that it will be enough to power @George Hincapie‘s music server.

Drat.  As far as I've been able to tell from reviewers I trust, that only leaves your Uptone Audio JS-2 but  that's double the price ( for a double power supply).

Any thoughts of making a JS-2 "slim" for those of us who only need 1 high quality 19v DC supply?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:47 AM, George Hincapie said:

I think I will go with an MCRU LPSU. I already own two of their supplies for my Auralic Mini and my PC DAC/HPA. Didn't realise they made larger ones and feel a bit silly I wasted everyone's time posting the thread. Sorry!

And the electrical specifications for these units are ???

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

44 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

Contact Long Dog Audio via their web site and ask them.

I didn't buy one in the end; I've ordered the Farad supply that AustinPop has instead.

The purveyors of quality power supplies normally  give some specifications to show that their power supplies are superior to the generic typically LM317 etc. types available on ebay

Very few members would buy a power supply from a source where this information is not provided on their site., or at least an overview of the type of construction such as the use of large amounts of capacitor filtering etc. given .

In other words, what is special about their product.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

The purveyors of quality power supplies normally  give some specifications to show that their power supplies are superior to the generic typically LM317 etc. types available on ebay

Very few members would buy a power supply from a source where this information is not provided on their site., or at least an overview of the type of construction such as the use of large amounts of capacitor filtering etc. given .

In other words, what is special about their product.

Have you looked on their site? Some info here. You can look yourself and see what else there is.

http://www.longdogaudio.com/project/longdog-audio-linear-psu/

27 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

Have you looked on their site? Some info here. You can look yourself and see what else there is.

http://www.longdogaudio.com/project/longdog-audio-linear-psu/

Yes, I did originally, and there is no technical information to compare with other PSUs.

GBP225 is a lot of money to pay for such a small PSU.

The small size of the smaller box suggests also that it has limited current capabilities.

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

Yes, I did originally, and there is no technical information to compare with other PSUs.

GBP225 is a lot of money to pay for such a small PSU.

The small size of the smaller box suggests also that it has limited current capabilities.

Why post that? Get in touch and ask them yourself, then you'll know. And that figure is nothing fir a PSU. I've just spent the best part of £800 on a PSU for my server. Easily possible to spend more.