R1200CL

Compare the Bartók to DAVE

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, skatbelt said:

Before I purchased the dCS Network Bridge I did this comparison and to be honest, the ultraRendu did not come close. This was with Uptone LPS's so may be some improvements could be realised with even better LPS's.

I strongly believe in (extreme) electrical isolation, so I can fully appreciate the direction you have taken with your new optical products. To my understanding and compared to the opticalModule, the EtherREGEN will deliver even more isolation and a 'clean' ethernet signal so that is why I am thinking about that route.

BTW, my Chord DAVE accepts dual BNC, so this is not a dCS DAC's only feature.

Have a look at Darko’s latest video. I think you will like it. 😀

(DCS review and compared to DAVE). 

56 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Have a look at Darko’s latest video. I think you will like it. 😀

(DCS review and compared to DAVE). 

Thanks for pointing me to this. I actually had the opportunity to compare the Bartók to DAVE and I had the same conclusion when looking at it from a headphones perspective. The DAVE's headphone amplifier part is its weakest link, especially with difficult to drive headphones. That is why I use a dedicated headphone amplifier (see signature).

When I compared the dCS NB/DAVE combo to the Bartók as streamer and DAC only in a loudspeaker setup, I preferred the first. DAVE - for me - is the better DAC. But the Bartók is a beautiful 3-in-1, that goes without saying.

Sorry for the OT 😬

Roon server (Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/external SDD via firewire/Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS) Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Cables CAT6 UTP ethernet, Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom power cables Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) | Audio-technica ATH-M50 Software High Sierra | Roon 1.6 | Tidal hifi Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, 0.0001pf, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Emo Systems EN-70HD network isolator | Jensen CI-1RR isolator

10 hours ago, skatbelt said:

The DAVE's headphone amplifier part is its weakest link, especially with difficult to drive headphones. That is why I use a dedicated headphone amplifier (see signature).

Hi, which headphones in particular have you found struggle with Dave’s headamp?

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi, which headphones in particular have you found struggle with Dave’s headamp?

Audeze LCD-3 and LCD-4.

Roon server (Mac Mini/i7/SSD/16GB/Uptone DC mod/external SDD via firewire/Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS) Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Cables CAT6 UTP ethernet, Transparent premium AES/EBU, Nordost Leif Red Dawn analog RCA, Kimber 8TC speaker cables, custom power cables Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) | Audio-technica ATH-M50 Software High Sierra | Roon 1.6 | Tidal hifi Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, 0.0001pf, balanced) | Vibex one 6R power distributor | Emo Systems EN-70HD network isolator | Jensen CI-1RR isolator

Someone on Head-Fi asked for measurements comparing the two DACs and it seems DAVE measures better on Hi Fi News

https://www.hifinews.com/content/dcs-bartók-network-dacheadphone-amp-lab-report

https://www.bluebirdmusic.com/edit/files/pdf_documents/chord_electronics/hfn_chord_dave_lowres.pdf

I like DAVE better and I haven’t listened to Bartok which I should. I think at this price range, one should always audition the product and whatever people prefer is the “right” DAC for them.

ultraRendu > Chord Blu Mk. 2 > Chord DAVE > Chord Etude > Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature + Sunfire TS-EQ10 subwoofers