rando

CD Reviewers Wanted

Rate this topic

Looking through some emails on a spamcatcher account today there was one pointing to an open call at MusicWeb for reviewers. 

Minimum 4 discs a month with one month to complete each submission.  There was language suggesting you get to choose for yourself off a group distributed list and of course then own the discs.

Might be a good opportunity for the right person(s) desirous of new and pre-release material.  

Quick phone search failed to yield results.  Can post direct link tomorrow with contact info and full details.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:15 PM, AnotherSpin said:

People who still listen CDs are either: a) not able to write reviews; b) have no interest to anything written.

Based on what exactly? Only a fraction of current music is available on Hi Res formats, not all of sufficient quality to make it worth the cost, and it is always expensive. And, even when streaming using a service like Tidal or Quobuz (the only available  cd quality streams) the only way the artists receive any remotely decent compensation is when you support them by buying a cd of the music you enjoyed when streaming.

Exactly what other formats are there which allow you to own an album in your music collection? I know of nothing save the even smaller percentage of ridiculously priced, and antiquated vinyl records that are sometimes available? 

JC

I'm doing a perfectly good job of leaving our friend AS to his designs in peace.  The above was too bald faced to beggar a reply from any member.  😶

I don't think it's in the interest of the readers when reviews are written by people who are mainly interested in receiving free review copies.

Check the reviews at Audiophile Audition https://www.audaud.com. They read like promo texts. Hardly any critical word. Which is very unhelpful for example when people want to know if a new expensive reissue is worth the upgrade in terms of sound quality, 

Claude

@CatManDo

Intent was to make aware those with active interest (desire) in new recordings of a potentially fun opportunity.  One offering selections they may not have discovered or considered.  In other words advancement of their listening hobby.  Which would still require applying and being selected.

Perhaps my wording had elements insular to the small group here that are always hunting down or asking for help discovering more recordings worth owning.  Those for whom dwelling on a few recordings a month would be a pleasure balanced against the large stack of purchased disks always waiting to be ripped.

17 hours ago, rando said:

I'm doing a perfectly good job of leaving our friend AS to his designs in peace.  The above was too bald faced to beggar a reply from any member.  😶

wise choice