IGNORED

Never-ending threads on Audiophile Style.

47 minutes ago, jabbr said:

You are free to ask a question because the advice, from my perspective, in 2019 has changed slightly from 2015. 

Equipment further improves in the space of a few years, with prices often becoming more affordable as new tech slowly trickles down into more affordable products. Even Class D has further improved in recent years, with the main problem as I see it being lifestyle changes such as " fast food" which led to obesity, and now streamed music which means you don't even need to get up off your arse to search for a favourite album, whether on CD or vinyl. We are getting lazier and demanding instant gratification, albeit usually at the cost of a slightly less high quality listening experience.

This has led to unwanted developments such as MQA, which would never have become in the least viable before "we"  demanded a " pay per view" model like the record companies wanted.

Who in their right mind would have gone to the trouble of purchasing new MQA  encoded CDs or DVDs of their favourite material from their younger years ? :o

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 7/18/2019 at 7:04 PM, Sloop John B said:

Is it  an editorial decision or something unique to the members here  there are  threads in practically every forum that were started several years previously which most of the other Hi-Fi fora I frequent don't have.

image.png.0b9351ffdd8d0e04584a5f6e6482e63b.png

image.png.aada3b7ba446d83715160c537afba5d5.png

image.png.816f20c762eb4a6710c5df39bb2fca9d.png

I'm not doing a thesis, what am I meant to do with a 610 page thread?

It would be easier if there was a super intelligent way to search threads but if there is it has passed me by.

Does anyone else find these looooooong threads daunting and counter productive or should I just get my coat?

.sjb

You can search within threads. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

Equipment further improves in the space of a few years, with prices often becoming more affordable as new tech slowly trickles down into more affordable products. Even Class D has further improved in recent years, with the main problem as I see it being lifestyle changes such as " fast food" which led to obesity, and now streamed music which means you don't even need to get up off your arse to search for a favourite album, whether on CD or vinyl.

Equipment might improve a bit, more so when new innovative products are introduced eg  in the class D space as you mention, but often there aren’t major improvements — power supplies are power supplies for the most part and eg R2R DACs hit a peak with the PCM1704 era. Despite the hype we haven’t seen many breakthroughs in the last few years. 

Its great to see some technologies getting implemented but they aren't new in the technology world. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

26 minutes ago, fas42 said:

You mean that the search can be restricted to a specific thread, this one, for example? If so, how does one specify this?

On a desktop computer visit the thread you want to search then click in the search box in the upper right. It will give you the option of selecting This Topic. 

Not it sure about on mobile at the moment. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ah-hah! For the width of the window I'm using for viewing AS, the search box is not displayed; only the search icon is visible, which is what I was using, unaware of the other ...

Strange it doesn't show this option on the advanced search, after clicking the icon.

21 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

On a desktop computer visit the thread you want to search then click in the search box in the upper right. It will give you the option of selecting This Topic. 

Not it sure about on mobile at the moment. 

It works the same way on my iPad.

Note that I use a certain width for AS viewing, for two reasons: I don't get a whole column of 'noise' shrieking at me on the right hand side :); and all the posts don't get squashed into a portrait format, taking up too much screen estate, as compared to my preferred landscape flavour ...

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Note that I use a certain width for AS viewing, for two reasons: I don't get a whole column of 'noise' shrieking at me on the right hand side :); and all the posts don't get squashed into a portrait format, taking up too much screen estate, as compared to my preferred landscape flavour ...

You can subscribe and get rid of the “noise” and get an almost full width screen.