IGNORED

Never-ending threads on Audiophile Style.

Is it  an editorial decision or something unique to the members here  there are  threads in practically every forum that were started several years previously which most of the other Hi-Fi fora I frequent don't have.

image.png.0b9351ffdd8d0e04584a5f6e6482e63b.png

image.png.aada3b7ba446d83715160c537afba5d5.png

image.png.816f20c762eb4a6710c5df39bb2fca9d.png

I'm not doing a thesis, what am I meant to do with a 610 page thread?

It would be easier if there was a super intelligent way to search threads but if there is it has passed me by.

Does anyone else find these looooooong threads daunting and counter productive or should I just get my coat?

.sjb

Are you suggesting that threads on popular topics be closed out after a certain time period has elapsed or page size reached and new threads started if there is continuing interest? How would this help with the search? ;) . 

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

4 minutes ago, EdmontonCanuck said:

Are you suggesting that threads on popular topics be closed out after a certain time period has elapsed or page size reached and new threads started if there is continuing interest? How would this help with the search? ;) . 

Perhaps threads should be locked after a specific period of inactivity ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

34 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps threads should be locked after a specific period of inactivity ?

I don't see how that would help much. The idea isn't to completely shut down discussion, and locking it would only encourage the spawning of multiple threads on the same topic if interest should start up again (e.g., a new version of HQP in the HQP thread). Multiple threads wouldn't help the searching issue.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

2 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

Is it  an editorial decision or something unique to the members here

Very much the first.  Very much characterized by dealing with unique members ability to fill a dozen pages in a day.  Very much unregulated by forum software that doesn't regurgitate the whole mess as they were wont to do in years past.

Does it actually matter to you how thick the newspaper lining a section of cage that interests you is?  Nobody else has any problem fouling the topmost one so long as a fresh layer rolls out on top of it.

It would be easier if there was a super intelligent way to search threads but if there is it has passed me by.

Forensic examination of above mentioned stains long since mingled with credible evidence of intelligence is the jurisdiction of hate crimes and nostalgia.  Also a single labor of love and the sickeningly sweet compost pile where overcooked posts get hidden away.

Does anyone else find these looooooong threads daunting and counter productive or should I just get my coat?

Next time the latch clicks nuzzle the hand that feeds.  Just don't rub up against the nerve everyone jumps on after a site update.  If you really need to know why.  Tunnel down to an article nearer the bottom.  I promise nobody will complain if you leave a few fresh links in there.

One long thread approaching 600 pages has tried to address this issue by indexing some of the most useful posts by topic.  Scroll down to the bottom of the initial post to see the index.  This is an initiative by @austinpop in this particular thread.  It's a lot of work, but it's incredibly helpful.

Really it's up to the OP or any contributor authorized by the OP to take on the task.  The alternative is a lot of fragmentation of the discussion in multiple threads about the same topic.

I certainly agree it's a massive challenge to search for answers in these huge threads. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?tab=comments#comment-613370

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

These long threads do have some good info in them perhaps having posts linking the pages to the first that have significance so those don’t have to read through hundreds of posts to get to the tip or best practice.  Some do that but not all posters of these huge threads.

As the OP of one of the example threads, I'd have to agree that it can be daunting. I've actually been considering starting a new HQPlayer Desktop 4 thread for a fresh start.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

@Sloop John B

This topic, or nearabouts, has come up on every technical forum frequented by industry or highly experienced people.  Imperfect questions and the nature of conversation tend to mix informative with personal with everything else in one post.  Extracting grade AAA material to be sorted and presented in a meaningful way quickly becomes outsized effort for minimal gain.  

Chris's answer is the ability to individually favorite posts.  On the other end you can ignore large tracts of information by unfollowing members.  Both are easy and easily reversible if you chose to temporarily use them as a tool to condense a thread.  

For his own good he decided against a growing wall of (people still complain about an ad that ran for all of a day months ago! 😄) stickied subjects that need to be scrolled past on every page load.  

On 7/19/2019 at 6:25 AM, mansr said:

Maybe it would help if search results could be sorted by number of upvotes.

While an upvote (as opposed to a like, thanks, funny, etc.) should signify the post is relevant to the original topic and helpful, this may not be apparent to members. Therefore, I would suggest either changing the term 'upvote' to 'relevant' or otherwise creating a new category called 'relevant'.  And, of course, it would be useful to be able to sort thread posts by a specific category (relevant, disagree, etc.) just like reddit.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

some carefully edited threads could be made into a 'reference' with a special section for them

some fora use a "sticky" method that keeps some threads always at the top of a page, but I dislike that as cannot easily see what is new with all the sticky clutter

You only need to sticky one post. The thread originator should be able to edit and add to it as needed.  Dates should be added to sections as it's added or when last updated. One can also include links in the sticky post to other posts.

mQa is dead!

As soon as these are available, it'll be way easier.

image.png.88125f0d7852ca2e171b2e7f8a348fa4.png

Seriously though it is very challenging to search and sift through these mega threads (actually not even the mega threads) and personally, it comes down to time.  Its great to have so much info, but I honestly dunno how people have the time to create so much data in a day. 

My rig

On 7/18/2019 at 8:04 PM, Sloop John B said:

Is it  an editorial decision or something unique to the members here  there are  threads in practically every forum that were started several years previously which most of the other Hi-Fi fora I frequent don't have.

image.png.0b9351ffdd8d0e04584a5f6e6482e63b.png

image.png.aada3b7ba446d83715160c537afba5d5.png

image.png.816f20c762eb4a6710c5df39bb2fca9d.png

.sjb

Its rather easy to be a critic, but much more difficult to say something constructive. 

Indeed you have stated you are against allowing the OP to moderate a thread:

Perhaps you should go buy a book in a local bookshop on how to best use the Internet, but google and site search are both effective.  No one is forcing you to read through entire threads, or any threads at all.

Remember that both I and (I’m guessing @4est ) aren’t here to make $$, and in fact if I cared to write a book about best network practices, I would, or else I’d set up a focused blog etc on the topic. Instead I started the thread and both try to answer questions in the topic when I know, and also try to gently keep it on topic. I’m not interested in preventing anyone else from posting their own experience — rather encourage it— nor am I interested in transforming the thread into something else. If I was I would. 

So the question is: do you have a specific suggestion that you are willing to spend time implementing? If so go for it. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

20 hours ago, jabbr said:

Its rather easy to be a critic, but much more difficult to say something constructive. 

Indeed you have stated you are against allowing the OP to moderate a thread:

Perhaps you should go buy a book in a local bookshop on how to best use the Internet, but google and site search are both effective.  No one is forcing you to read through entire threads, or any threads at all.

Remember that both I and (I’m guessing @4est ) aren’t here to make $$, and in fact if I cared to write a book about best network practices, I would, or else I’d set up a focused blog etc on the topic. Instead I started the thread and both try to answer questions in the topic when I know, and also try to gently keep it on topic. I’m not interested in preventing anyone else from posting their own experience — rather encourage it— nor am I interested in transforming the thread into something else. If I was I would. 

So the question is: do you have a specific suggestion that you are willing to spend time implementing? If so go for it. 

Apologies if you took my post personally, I merely chose a few long threads as examples. 

I find them unwieldily, some others do, some don’t, that’s life. It makes AS less useful for me, but hey, who really cares about SJB except his mother and she could be jiving too. 

.sjb. 

As an example of how I would look in the 'worst' thread on AS, :), to find references to the Nordic recording company, type in Google:

"mqa is vaporware page" "2L" site:https://audiophilestyle.com

Note whole name of thread followed by the word "page", all in quotes, to eliminate posts by people mentioning this thread elsewhere; and then using quotes around search words - this forces Google to not second guess what I want.

Brings up what I want; some pages may be missed, but I'm a lot closer to finding "good" areas of the thread.