IGNORED

Humps at 43Hz, 90Hz, and 110Hz

Hi Guys - I'm moving my new speakers around before a rep from Wilson arrives to complete the setup and did some measurements. I have elevated humps at 43Hz, 90Hz, and 110Hz.

I looked at some bass traps like these with a range limiter and they look pretty cool. https://www.gikacoustics.com/product/gik-acoustics-tri-trap/

Does anyone have suggestions how to tame these humps?

I'll do much more thorough measurements once the speakers are in their final places but want to do a bit of research beforehand. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, rando said:

This is based on head level measurements in listening chair or a few places in the room? 

Such as desk chair or the most natural place to stand.  Places that could conceivably be of secondary concern or prove insightful toward refining primary listening position.  

I'm sure you'll get plenty of experienced people offering solutions.  Best of luck getting everything sorted painlessly.

Just took a few measurements with microphone places at ear level on listening chair. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

What did you use to get the measurements?  As in which software.  And could you show at least the lowest 300 hz.  Maybe using REW or something similar.   And remind us of your room dimensions.  I remember you ad the sloping ceiling.   And how big are the humps?

Moving the speakers and/or yourself around is the first step.  

I used REW.

I just ordered some of these ATS Acoustics Corner Bass Traps on the suggestion of @mitchco - https://www.atsacoustics.com/corner-bass-trap-b.html

Here's a screenshot of 10-200 with 1/12 smoothing

10-200-1-12smooting.png

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

I'd think it is related to the length mostly.  I'd try moving them 2 ft forward or backward.  2ft forward if you are less than 6.5 feet from the rear wall.  Of course I don't know where you have them and that may not be practical.  Before moving them I'd shoot tones at 44 hz and 88 hz through them, and go walk around the speakers.  You'll likely be able to find zones where the tones are louder vs softer.  If you can find one where both tones are softer, then put the speakers there.  In this case, if it is mostly the length mode, the left and right position is going to be less critical on these two humps.  

Of course those aren't easy to move speakers.  Even if you don't move them, shoot the tones thru them and walk around to see where peaks and dips are.  You may have the double whammy of speakers in a hot zone for those frequencies and your LP in a hot point for those.  So you might benefit some to move your LP to a place where there isn't a peak in the problem frequencies of 88 and 44 hz. 

Thanks a ton Dennis!

1 minute ago, firedog said:

Hi Chris-

I have a big hump at around 40hz in my room, and Roon does a good job with it's EQ fixing the problem for the most part. . I will probably invest in a mic and some RC software soon to fix that node more precisely. 

My personal experience is that those triangle bass traps make a big positive difference. They won't solve all the problems on their own, but I bet they will help. 

I'm also investigating some room correction options. I have the UMIK-1 for measurements. I've also been talking to @mitchco who is so helpful it's incredible.

I have an email into Jon at Trinnov to check out one of its two channel devices. I want to try the digital output of one so I can use the DAC of my choice. 

All neat stuff to try.

Looking forward to the bass traps.