IGNORED

Does the iMac support 24/96 and 24/192?

I'm contemplating the purchase of some 24/96 and 24/192 encoded music that I've notice under the music link here at Computer Audiophile. The thing is, will I be able to get any benefit from suych a purchase with an Intel iMac and iTunes? I'm not even sure if my iMac supports 24/96 and 24/192?

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

Thanks watchnerd.

So let me see if I understand this right. If I make the correct adjustments in Audio Midi Setup, iTunes will playback 24-bit/96 khz encoded files using my iMacs inbuilt sound? I don't need any special device connected to it, like say a DAC or something?

--

djp

Intel iMac + Beresford TC-7510 + Little Dot MK III + beyerdynamics DT 231 = Computer audiophile quality on the cheap! --- Samsung Q1 + M-Audio Transit + Sennheiser PX 100 = Computer audiophile quality on the go!

Well, that depends.

What are you using as speakers? The built in speakers in the iMac, or something else?

The midi settings just control the output. But what the output is going to also matters.

By the way, you should first confirm within iTunes that files themselves are of a higher bitrate and higher sampling rate. Check under the Info for a song, first tab. If it doesn't show up here, then mucking around with the midi applet won't help.

MacBook Pro -> AppleTV ->Rotel RSP-1570 -> Martin Logan Electromotion[br]MacBook Pro -> Icon HDP -> AKG K701[br]Apple Lossless all the way

The built-in optical output and the onboard DA converter in Macs support up to 24/96. Apple has told me they support 24/192, but nobody including Apple has been able to select 24/192 in Audio Midi. I've talked to them several time on this frustrating topic :-|

If you don't use an external DAC and audio system there won't be much benefit to playing back 24/96 tracks. The interal speakers just don't impress :-)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Well I'm currently using a pair of beyerdynamic DT231 headphones plugged directly into the iMac but on Monday I hope to connect my old Creek CAS 4040 amplifier to my iMac and then listen using the same pair of 'phones via the amp. Would such a setup see any benefit/be possible with 24/96 files?

A pair of speakers will follow by the way, to connect to the amp.

--

djp

Hi djp - You really should get the digital stream out of the iMac and have it converted by an external DAC. Outputting an analog stream from the iMac is not something I would do other than for a temporary proof of concept scenario.

Of course the term benefit is very subjective and only you will be able to tell is you hear a benefit :-)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hiya Chris. :)

So would putting a DAC between the iMac and the Creek amp be a good solution? If so I'll need to get looking at some DAC reviews at Computer Audiophile! ;)

--

djp

In the straight iMac->Creek scenario, I don't think using 24/96 files will make a noticeable difference, as you're using the analog out of the Mac to go to an analog amp.

In other words, the quality bottleneck is going to be the quality of the analog amp in the iMac's headphone jack, not the file bitrate.

MacBook Pro -> AppleTV ->Rotel RSP-1570 -> Martin Logan Electromotion[br]MacBook Pro -> Icon HDP -> AKG K701[br]Apple Lossless all the way

I think I've been told to use the other ouput minijack on my Intl iMac, the one next to the headphone jack. I think it's used for amped speakers but I'm not sure. Don't know whether that makes any difference or not? Looks like a DAC is going to be needed between the two anyway. Do any forum browsers have any experience with one of these?

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-micro-line/headroom-micro-dac.php

--

djp

I'm sure you saw my newest review on the Ultra Micro components, but I'll post the link anyway. You may be able to at least glean something from it even though there is a difference between the Micro and Ultra Micro. Plus others may be interested as well.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/headroom_ultra_micro_dac_amp_review