IGNORED

minimum quality IEM

porto

Question

Hi all,

So, I bought the Cowon Plenue D2 DAP and I would like to know your thoughts about which would be the minimum IEM for them....I mean in terms of quality and money 

Do you think to have a good decent pair of IEMs we should spend AT LEAST like 300, 500, 1000usd....

Thoughts and opinions please

7 answers to this question

+1 for Etymotic IEMs.  Been using EM4s for many years then recently picked up a pair of ER4XRs.  The cables are much more pliable than the older EM4 cables and the sound quality is an upgrade for sure.  I tend to use IEMs on the go, and I don't think you can beat the simplicity of the EM4s.  Foam tips all the way for me.  They seal so well that you'll never even look at noise cancelling tech again.  I also have a set of Westone W40s which sound great, but they are fragile and I find myself hesitating to bring them into environments that I use the Etymotics in.

Hope this helps.

I have had multiple each of Shure and  Westone.  I like the sound of Westone’s but they are fragile.  All three had issues after a year (cables and one stopped working).  Shure is ok but I have not had the 425 which had sound above their price point per reviews.  Currently I use Etymotic ER4sr and I like them a lot and they are just under $300 on Amazon.  Only thing I do not like is it can be difficult to determine R or L.  But that is minor.

if you have not had IEMs note that fit is paramount for best sound.  If you have had IEMs...never mind.

Personally i see no point spending more.  I use for cutting grass, riding on my bicycle trainer, and travel.  Even with the best isolation noise gets in.  If you are listening at home and plan to use a lot, customs might be worthwhile.

hope this helps.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I've used many pro IEMs over the years on stage.  I have Westone custom ear molds for them, which I use regularly with the Shure system at the club where my blues band is the house band.  But I discovered consumer IEMs for under $100 that are really fine.  I found the JBL Reflect line while checking out earbuds at a local big box store, where I really liked (and bought) the Contour 2.  The Mini 2 is the same unit without the over-the-ear cable routing that helps hold them in place. 

The SQ is quite good, with surprisingly tight and solid deep bass anchoring a nice, neutral presentation with great dynamics and spatial presentation.  Comply tips make a very comfortable and secure seal that brings out the best from the bottom end. I wear them for hours at a time while traveling and have absolutely no discomfort.

I really do not know how to answer the question...  One person's "minimum" might be another person's absurdly expensive model...

Do you need a sealed system for sound isolation?

I have a pair of Audeze iSine 20s that sound fantastic, but they are open backed, so not really suitable for loud environments.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I have recently bought RHA T20 from big A's warehouse for under 100 USD.

They sound fantastic and feel very comfortable once they are set up in-ear and behind ear (for me as an IE-Hater), offer a set of 3 exchangeable filters with different sound signatures and have connectors build like a tank.
Downside, they aren't the newest design, no exchangeable cables and therefore do not offer a wireless use. 

Best, Tom478148895_RHAT20.thumb.jpg.4480d94d5355c3f9559413cb56d04ffe.jpg

What I cannot understand is how you buy expensive IEMs. Lets say over 1K $, £, euro.

With a fairly inexpensive item I may just take a chance  as , unlike headphones, IEMs are not ( or should not be) available for buyer audition for hygiene reasons. With expensive IEMs ( of which there are many) I would not be prepared just to take such a chance.

So, do you just hand over your , say, $1500 and just bin them and chalk it up to experience if they turn out not to be to your taste?