IGNORED

Anatomy of a Nearly Perfect Song

7 hours ago, Doak said:

You have company.

Bought the album when it first became popular.

Still have the LP. May have it on digital.

Still cannot listen to it.

Been 30+ years and not enough time has passed ... not yet, maybe never. 

Felt the same way for years about "Stairway to Heaven". Lots of radio stations had playlists where the only LZ song the DJs were allowed to play was "Stairway". I remember once just before LZ hit town on a tour, my friends and I were in a car after school, and when we dialed across the radio dial, "Stairway" was playing on 5 radio stations simultaneously. Pretty much on every popular music station available. Jeez. 

Couldn't listen to it for years. Now I can, and I can even appreciate what a good song it actually is. 

As far as Boston, that album was mostly a self recorded solo album by Tom Scholz for all intents and purposes. The band that got put together to promote the album went on tour and the album was a smash hit. I remember a story about how after one show a record company exec walked up to the band and handed them a $100000 check as a bonus, because the sales were so phenomenal....Of course, nowadays I wonder if the label later deducted the 100K from royalties to the band. Probably did.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'll have to listen to the Boston album on Qobuz. Haven't heard it for a long time. I seem to remeber the SQ was really good.  And it must be a really good recording, b/c even over the video on laptop speakers those hand claps sound pretty realistic. Impressive. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)