IGNORED

M-Audio Fasttrack C400 clipping and crackling

mihaelkyeah

Question

Hello everyone.

This is a particular situation, I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question.

A friend of mine has an M-Audio Fasttrack C400 audio interface, and a Samson C01 condenser mic. They use Ableton Live (9 I think?) to record.

To practice for a recording, this friend likes to open up Ableton to set up a recording track with monitoring, and open up YouTube on Chrome to play the backing track they have for practicing, and they practice with that setup.

Apparently, they were able to do this without an issue before, but now, when they sing and the input clips, it clips really harshly doing a nasty crackling. Someone suggested changing the output's bit depth from 24 to 16, and it reduced the crackling a little bit, but it didn't go away.

We tested doing a little bit of saturated input within Ableton Live, without YouTube playing, and it didn't crackle.

A detail to take into account is that, before, they formerly used an older version of the interface's drivers, version 1.0.4 if I recall correctly. Recently, the interface would sometimes crash, it would go mute if some programs weren't opened and closed in the right order, and they had to restart the computer to get it working again. Because of this, I updated the driver to version 1.1.7 and that stopped happening. But now there's this clipping issue. Could it be directly related to this?

I await your answers. Thank you all in advance.

3 answers to this question

9 hours ago, yamamoto2002 said:

There is more appropriate forums, such as gearslutz for this kind of question.

Maybe enabling pad switch to reduce input signal magnitude by 20dB and cracking problem will be solved.

Or reverting driver to version 1.0.4, and check if your hypothesis is correct or not.

I'll try that out and check out gearslutz. Thank you, yamamoto.