IGNORED

USBridge and Matrix X-Sabre Pro (MQA)

Hi,

I am considering upgrading my DAC and Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA version) came up as a good candidate. However, it uses XMOS XU216 chip for its USB interface instead of the XU208 as in my current Topping DX3Pro. I am actually not interested in MQA playback support but PCM via USBridge is important for me. Any experience with connecting Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) to USBridge with Sparky SBC running DietPi, anyone? Note, this is an updated Matrix model; older one with the same name had no MQA support and was using XMOS U6 for its USB interface. That model seemed to work fine with Allo USBridge but it has been recently discontinued by Matrix Audio.

Thanks,

bamyasi

• 1 month later...

Just in case someone would be interested, here's the follow up: I have received my X-Sabre Pro (MQA) DAC today and connected it to my USBridge running DietPi v6.25.3. DAC was immediately properly recognized and the system had no issues playing back FLAC files ranging from CD-quality (16bit/44.1kHz) to 24bit/192kHz Hi-Res. Also, streaming Spotify and Qobuz via USBridge seems working without problems. I do not have Tidal subscription, so have not tried MQA streaming yet. May try it later out of curiosity, even though I am not a fan.

--bamyasi

One more piece of information. While DietPi OS on my Sparky USBridge was able to see and connect to the Matrix DAC successfully, kernel apparently does not recognize XU216 hardware and ALSA does not provide any hardware controls to the OS. So you are limited to ALSA dmix interface for software volume control, hence no bit perfect playback is possible at the moment.

• 2 months later...

Nope, but I disabled ALSA mixer on my USBridge completely and switched to using DAC's digital volume control instead, which guarantees bitperfect playback. As far as I am aware, none of the media renderers (players) on this device uses ALSA USB controls even when they are available, anyway.