IGNORED

Some insights on the MiniDSP SHD

• 5 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, smolteni said:

Just beautiful report i'm going to buy a SHD (i own a SHD Studio with RME ADI 2 PRO) to simplify my setup.

I'm curious to know if you notice some improvement changin with a Linear PSU...

Did you try also as pre-ampli section?

Regards.

Thanks! I have not managed to do the linear power supply mod just yet. Life has been far too busy! 

Yes, the unit is used as a preamp powering my DIY Neurochrome power amplifier. The volume control is great and the remote for this works perfect, giving the ability to switch between Dirac on/off and 4 profiles on the fly. Though, I suspect this is the same as the Studio. 

The PSU is 85W without the heatsink, so it should mean 24V 3.5A, which should easily be possible with supplies like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-Ultra-low-Noise-100VA-LPS-R-core-Linear-power-supply-DC-5-24V-Optional/133061111162

And then, yes, a 5V supply, which are also easily available. I've been following the threads on Allo's new 5V supply, Shanti, and reports are terrific. 

As for connector, both the 24V as well as 5V is provided through a harness. I would recomment keeping those intact and making your own harness end-point for the supplies. Note that the 24V supply is dual, so either you jumper the positives and negatives to supply them from a single 24V source, or you find a dual 24V source (it may be designed in dual mono, who knows). I suspect the former is simplest and best though.

I recently acquired a Micromega M150, so sold the MiniDSP, so sadly no more experiments from me.

6 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Brilliant  write up.

Is limiting the DSP to a certain range easy?

Could you show a screenshot/photo of how/where these limits (whether 1kHz or 500Hz) are applied?

Thanks again

Thank you! As smolteni points out, this is easy to do in Dirac in the step after taking measurements. You drag the “active” window from the right. Here’s a screenshot I stole off the Internet showing what it will look like after. If you can’t move it left, it is because there’s a marker for where you’d like the target curve to be. It’ll be a yellow diamond on a yellow curve. Double click the diamond and that will unblock the window resizer. 

51F646E9-7354-475B-A10F-08A4261EE6D4.jpeg

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, audiobomber said:

I just ordered an SHD and I've bookmarked this awesome post! 

Any update on the PSU upgrade? I have a power supply I had built for my previous DAC, which looks to be very suitable for the SHD; two Welborne Labs PS-1 power supplies ( +/- 5) to +/- 24V) and a PS-Reg (+5V to + 24V). I will tackle this eventually but voids the warranty so I don't want to rush it. 

Thank you!

Sadly I never got around to the PSU upgrade because I sold the SHD a few months later. I found another product that fit the bill - the Micromega M-One (M150) - that included a *very good* 150 wpc Class AB amplifier. At ~$7k new ($4k used), it was a no brainer to replace 2 boxes (one of which was big) with one. 

I would later go on to selling even the Micromega, to have a simple system where a Chord Hugo TT2 drives my speakers directly with its 7wpc!

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

OK. Thanks for the detail and photos anyway, very useful.

@AbsolutK, just wondering if you actually measured 24V in the power supply, or are you just going by the writing on the Meanwell cap? I thought saw elsewhere that the SHD was +/-15V internally, and the Studio used a 12V wall wart.

@audiobomber I measured the harness with a DMM to confirm that 24v was being output by the PSU. On the main PCB there might be a network of LDOs in the power path that drops it to a +/- 15v rail.

35 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I believe I misread or misremembered. Here's the post I was looking for: 

https://www.minidsp.com/forum/shd-series/15661-power-supply-for-shd-vs-shd-studio#41754

Happens to the best of us! What I believe the author of the quoted post was trying to say is that analog sections are often powered by +/- 15v rails. The SHD very well might also (doing its own regulation from 24v to 15v on board).  

• 2 months later...