Jump to content
Metnoc

Comparison of Sonore Optical Rendu and SOtM SMS200ultra.

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

What you describe may point more the power supplies than the endpoints.  What happens when you use the CI supply with the sMS-200ultra?

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

What you describe may point more the power supplies than the endpoints.  What happens when you use the CI supply with the sMS-200ultra?

 

I have the 12V version of sms200ultra, not sure its advisable to try to power it by Ci 7V power supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Metnoc said:
I have compared:
1. Sonore optical rendu with both copper ethernet and optical ethernet (optical module) with CI Audio VDC•7 MKII power supply.
2. SOtM SMS200ultra with Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 power supply.
 


Why use different power supplies ?

 

If the test shall have any meaning use only one of then, and preferably the LPS-1.2 set at 9 V, as that works well with the OpticalRendu. (Unless Vbus is above 100mA).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Metnoc said:

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to use the same power supply for both streamers, since lps 1.2 doesn’t work with OR.


It does. But it depends on how much Vbus power is required, and that can be fixed with either two power in parallel plus an extra box, or even better a separate Vbus power, but only if that Vbus power also is an LPS-1.2.  

What DAC do you use ?

 

Did you ever tried power up the OpticalRendu with the LP-1.2 ?

(and no DAC attached). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Metnoc said:

 

I have the 12V version of sms200ultra, not sure its advisable to try to power it by Ci 7V power supply.


What happen if you put 9 V to it from the LPS-1.2 ?

Will it start ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R1200CL said:


Why use different power supplies ?

 

If the test shall have any meaning use only one of then, and preferably the LPS-1.2 set at 9 V, as that works well with the OpticalRendu. (Unless Vbus is above 100mA).

Its over 100mA, If it wasnt I would have used uptone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Metnoc said:

 

I have the 12V version of sms200ultra, not sure its advisable to try to power it by Ci 7V power supply.

 

Did you consider to get a 12V CI PS as loaner for your Sms200ultra?

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matthias said:

 

Did you consider to get a 12V CI PS as loaner for your Sms200ultra?

 

Matt


Yeah I have considered different solutions.
Will report back if I find one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Metnoc said:


Yeah I have considered different solutions.
Will report back if I find one.

 

Thanks,

please repeat the comparison with same manufacturer and type PSs for both.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Metnoc said:

Its over 100mA, If it wasnt I would have used uptone.


Well, you should probably leave the LPS-1.2 out of the comparison then. 
Also if that picture is an OpticalModule, power it with the LPS-1.2. 
Then I think you’re getting a fair test.

Still, you may like to stick with the SoTM, as powering the opticalRendu with the same quality of power, will require two LPS-1.2 and two of these boxes

https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm

So it’s getting expensive. 

The other option is one of these (still two LPS1-1.2)

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/various-adapters/usb-b-adapter-cable-for-55-21mm-female-power-supply-p-8332.html
And one of these as well, just to be sure

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/vbus2-isolator/


(If your oM is for sale, pm me 😀). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R1200CL said:


Well, you should probably leave the LPS-1.2 out of the comparison then. 
Also if that picture is an OpticalModule, power it with the LPS-1.2. 
Then I think you’re getting a fair test.

Still, you may like to stick with the SoTM, as powering the opticalRendu with the same quality of power, will require two LPS-1.2 and two of these boxes

https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm

So it’s getting expensive. 

The other option is one of these (still two LPS1-1.2)

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/various-adapters/usb-b-adapter-cable-for-55-21mm-female-power-supply-p-8332.html
And one of these as well, just to be sure

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/vbus2-isolator/


(If your oM is for sale, pm me 😀). 

 

I would leave the opticalModules out of the comparison and would feed the opticalRendu via an Ethernet SFP.

This is much more fair because then both renderers are in the same price range.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, matthias said:

 

I would leave the opticalModules out of the comparison and would feed the opticalRendu via an Ethernet SFP.

This is much more fair because then both renderers are in the same price range.

 

Matt


That doesn’t make sence at all. Really. 
 

Part of a possible SQ uplift is the optical isolation. 

What make more sense is to include the opticalModule in the Sotm as well. 
That’s a very fair way to compare. Maybe the only way. 

But that requires you to have optical interface available. You have ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, R1200CL said:


That doesn’t make sence at all. Really. 
 

Part of a possible SQ uplift is the optical isolation. 

What make more sense is to include the opticalModule in the Sotm as well. 
That’s a very fair way to compare. Maybe the only way. 

But that requires you to have optical interface available. You have ?

 

Sorry, I disagree.

Some  people like me have no interests to go optical.

The oR is in a sensible price range and if one want to spend more money he/she can "upgrade" later to optical.

Even @vortecjr admits that the Ethernet SFP opticalRendu sounds fantastic.

IMO, it is a matter of taste to go optical, please have a look at the post of @romaz from March 24.

 

Matt

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matthias said:

IMO, it is a matter of taste to go optical, please have a look at the post of @romaz from March 24.


Of cause, your choice. Still I find it a bit odd claiming optical makes the SQ worse. But maybe you’re not saying worse, only different, and that’s probably a fact 😀

 

Some equipment color sound. And it may even be that the opticalRendu reveal things in your system the SOtM doesn’t. 

And I need a link. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, R1200CL said:


Of cause, your choice. Still I find it a bit odd claiming optical makes the SQ worse. But maybe you’re not saying worse, only different, and that’s probably a fact 😀

 

Some equipment color sound. And it may even be that the opticalRendu reveal things in your system the SOtM doesn’t. 

And I need a link. 
 

 

 

Thanks for the link.

With optical you have two additional conversions which I do not like.

The sweet spot for me is Ethernet SFP opticalRendu and @Metnoc prefered it over optical.

So comparisons in a more expensive price range do not make sense for me.

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, matthias said:

 

Sorry, I disagree.

Some  people like me have no interests to go optical.

The oR is in a sensible price range and if one want to spend more money he/she can "upgrade" later to optical.

Even @vortecjr admits that the Ethernet SFP opticalRendu sounds fantastic.

IMO, it is a matter of taste to go optical, please have a look at the post of @romaz from March 24.

 

Matt

 

 

 

I don’t see how what was reported back in March is relevant when assessing a brand new product from Sonore that was designed by John Swenson to address the shortcomings of optical solutions not intended specifically for high end music reproduction.  To purchase the opticalRendu and not take advantage of what the designer considered an important part of getting the best from this product based on a quote not specifically referring to this product’s implementation seems short-sighted.

 

This thread should probably be renamed to “Comparison of crippled Sonore opticalRendu and SOtM sms200Ultra”. LOL

 

(I say that in jest).


Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Alpha USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Anaconda interconnect, MIT Oracle speaker cables, GIK bass traps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2019 at 7:34 AM, Metnoc said:


Yeah I have considered different solutions.
Will report back if I find one.

Just curious, - would you mind telling us what your DAC, amplification and speakers are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Albrecht said:

Just curious, - would you mind telling us what your DAC, amplification and speakers are?

DAC: Aqua la scala mk2 with mullard tubes.
Integrated amp: Karan 180
Speakers: Verity Parsifal

Only copper cables, a mix of audience and some others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Metnoc said:

DAC: Aqua la scala mk2 with mullard tubes.
Integrated amp: Karan 180
Speakers: Verity Parsifal

Only copper cables, a mix of audience and some others.

Thanks for info.... nice equipment, FWIW, - I'm a big fan of Verity speakers.....I only heard the La Scala once... would love to hear it with the mullards...   Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...