Danny Kaey

Article: Playback Designs MPS-8 CD/SACD player, DAC and Streamer Full Review

Rate this topic

Death by a thousand cuts... J/K. Look, I’m sure you can find all sorts of issues with any product. The LessLoss I reviewed a couple months back was this, that, the other, yet sounded very, very good. In the end, what matters only is, do you like it, do you want to own it. Like all PD products, its built here in the US, California no less. The drive is an all new OEM design from Denon, which dCS amongst others, also uses. It’s the only commercially viable CD/SACD drive available today, built with metal parts as far as I can tell.  What’s it all mean Basil? 

I do enjoy the activity of these threads and the engagement they produce... cheers!

On 7/14/2019 at 11:24 AM, matthias said:

Interesting that in the Dream Series all files with the exception of DSD256 are first converted to DSD128, then with PDs own algorithms upsampled to DSD2048 before the conversion to analog.

Matt

Indeed.  This very high final rate of 90.32 MHz (1 bit) makes the "work" of the final D/A conversion stage easier.  It is reassuring to me to see that PD is now running the conversion stage at this high a rate.  I wonder what, exactly, the conversion stage is comprised of though-likely some implementation of a low pass filter, but i wonder if it just a simple filter (R-C) or something like @Miska's DSC approach.  The Mola Mola DACs run their final A/D conversion at a similar rate (100 MHz, 1 bit) and use what appears to be a similar FIR filter implementation (shift registers and resistors) as Jussi's design.  In any case, having been very impressed by the sound of Mola Mola DACs, I am very interested in hearing the Dream Series DACs. 

ROON: DSD 256-Signature Rendu optical--Buffalo PRO (ESS 9038) or DSC-2--Ncore 400 Stereo-Focus Audio FS888-JL E-112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, Cardas Clear AC, XLR, & speaker cables-Synergistic Blue & Hi Fi Tuning Supreme Cu Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.    Design/Build Consultant with Sonore

SONORE computer audio

13 minutes ago, barrows said:

Indeed.  This very high final rate of 90.32 MHz (1 bit) makes the "work" of the final D/A conversion stage easier.  It is reassuring to me to see that PD is now running the conversion stage at this high a rate.  I wonder what, exactly, the conversion stage is comprised of though-likely some implementation of a low pass filter, but i wonder if it just a simple filter (R-C) or something like @Miska's DSC approach.  The Mola Mola DACs run their final A/D conversion at a similar rate (100 MHz, 1 bit) and use what appears to be a similar FIR filter implementation (shift registers and resistors) as Jussi's design.  In any case, having been very impressed by the sound of Mola Mola DACs, I am very interested in hearing the Dream Series DACs. 

At least earlier PD devices have been somewhat similar to the DSC, so I would find it likely that is the case here too...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

45 minutes ago, barrows said:

Agree,

the question is why they do not upsample or convert all files in a first step to DSD256 and then to DSD2048. IMO, converting of 32/384 for example to DSD128 seems not to be a perfect solution.

Matt