IGNORED

Nube looking for entry level stereo receiver

I want to spend $2-300 on a stereo receiver. I've been researching for days on Google and not able to understand the differences. Is AV bad if I mostly plan on listening to music? I like folk Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan etc. I plan to stream music from online. What types of technology should I consider blue tooth,wifi, etc? Even if I I do Hook the TV up I don't plan on buying 5+ speakers anytime soon or ever. I've been looking at entry-level level Sonys, I had one in the early 2ooos that met my needs, but really don't understand at all what I should get.

Maybe you can start to have some guidance from links like this http://stereobarn.com/how-to-connect-a-stereo-system1/ so that you know what to get within your budget. 

If you are only interested in music then the source connected to int amp which will be connected to the speakers are more than enough. 

If you want to enjoy music and movie with good sound then the best way is to go is receiver. Unless you have a dedicated room for audio or video, the current receivers are good enough to satisfy most music lover in a typical living room. 

Integrate amp is power amplifier and pre amplifier mixed in one. A good second hand receiver is good enough to drive the Cambridge speakers. 

My advice is to save first so that you can buy the speakers at the same time. 

Take a look at Denon S series. The DACs and amps in most entry level AVRs are pretty good these days. They also have streaming built in.

There's a leaning curve to getting them setup, and it requires hooking up to a TV to work thru the setup menus.

If you are only going to stream using a phone or tablet, maybe consider an integrated 2 channel amp and a Chromecast Audio. It's been discontinued  but there are still plenty around.

4 hours ago, Bryan308 said:

What's an integrated amp?

an integrated amp is a receiver without the tuner. there aren't many stereo receivers any more -- they're almost all home theater receivers.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Looking through the listings here at Superphonica could be instructive in its own right.  Categories are clearly broken down which will allow observation of good quality equipment to research on Google.  A good run through should revise your plans a few times before deciding how best to proceed within your budget and the order of assemblage.

You don't appear to require a receiver.  Based on your description it appears making music enjoyable is your first priority.  The most straightforward chain from source to output might accomplish this for you to an enjoyable level.  With source being your computer or phone directly feeding a DAC that in turn outputs music through powered speakers.  You might be surprised at the low total cost of intelligently selected components and large improvement to sound that can be had to form a base upon which to grow from.

For example:

$10 high quality shielded USB cable without ferrites to connect computer (or phone) to DAC.

$80 KORG DS-DAC-100M

$10 RCA cable

Any number of $200-$500 powered speakers we could suggest investigating.  Some of which have built in WiFi or BT.

A few free, or at least free trial, music player programs capable of cataloging and playing bit perfect copies of your music.