IGNORED

ALLO Shanti Power Supply

1 hour ago, uniquesnowflake said:

Hi Den,

Yes I meant Studer900, typo :) The Jung type super reg is diy based on the "ucc golden reference regulator" kit. TBH I was very happy with my old setup, but I felt Shanti took it to a different level.

I've had my share of experience with different supplies. Take the famous Paul Hynes SR for example. Used it on the I/V of my old Buffalo DAC, there was an improvement over the "golden reference", though not as dramatic as what the Shanti did to my Digione sig player. This is obviously comparing apples to oranges, but I feel that Shanti is great at what it does regardless of price.

Thanks for sharing.

Which DAC do you use now?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, uniquesnowflake said:

Hi Matt,

I've had several DACs in my system through the past few years, including the excellent T+A DAC DSD 8.

I'm currently infatuated with the Sparkler S504u, an antithesis of the state-of-the-art T+A DAC. I have a similar source+amp combo as this review, except (obviously) I have a standalone RPi+Digione Signature transport.

I'm still amazed by this particular implementation of the TDA1543. The truthfulness of its presentation makes the sound feel a lot closer to real performance compared to anything else I've auditioned. 

This may be pure speculation, but I find the S504u a lot more sensitive to transport quality (or IOW susceptible to jitter) compared to DACs with modern chips. Every improvement I make to the Digione Sig player seems to have a magnified effect on the sound. After upgrading to the Shanti, I feel that the Sparkler combo is now comparable with the T+A in terms of "hi-fi qualities", i.e. details, sound staging, imaging.

Thanks for reading,

Alex

Hi Alex,

I really appreciate that you have Sparkler Audio gear.

I came across this manufacturer at last years X-Fi Show in the Netherlands and like it very much from all I have read about but have not been able so far to listen to it.

After your description of the musical presentation and the review on PTA I am more curious than ever.

So may I ask you where did you get your Sparklers from?

Did you manage to have some listening prior purchase?

Thank you.

Matt

4 hours ago, rruffin said:

Needless to say, I was not disappointed when I returned home to this simple system which uses the Allo as part of a networked Macintosh running Audirvana.

Hi @rruffin,

which software do you use for your Allo/RPi set-up when you are streaming from Mac/Audirvana?

Did you have any issues with streaming from Audirvana?

Thanks

Matt

1 minute ago, rruffin said:

Streaming with Audirvana has been trouble free. It is kinda embarrassing how simple it has been. And so inexpensive. Friends who come over are quite surprised at my good sound, ease of streaming (Tidal) and small investment. I really don't know why the combination is not more popular...

I have plans to do streaming with Audirvana as well:

MBP/Audirvana streaming Qobuz to the upcoming Shanti powered USBridge Signature.

Matt

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, uniquesnowflake said:

Thank you for the info. Looks like Sparkler made a nice workaround to make their DAC compatible with multiple types of Inputs.

It would probably work great with sources that have a high quality i2s output (can't say that about the RPi), take their S507 for instance. However, I'd much rather have the conversion unit built with proper power delivery and ample space inside the DAC compared to say, a small adapter on the digital cable.

Maybe I'm too quick to judge, but I don't think this would be a sonic improvement in my setup with Digione Sig+Audiophile Pi.

Interesting that the description of the new S512 is not DAC but DA processor.

AFAIK, the conversion units are powered from the main unit.

Would be nice to compare S512 to S504.

Matt

• 4 months later...