IGNORED

ALLO Shanti Power Supply

12 hours ago, rruffin said:

So, anyone receive a Shanti power supply and able to compare it to your previous power supply system (batteries, linear power, switching power or anything else)?

The "dirty side" of my DigiOne Signature was powered by an ebay'd "Studer 800" lps, and I used a Jung-type super regulator for the "clean side". The Shanti wiped the floor with my previous setup without mods or burn-in. It wasn't even close.

Having recently auditioned the popular dCS Network Bridge, I feel that with the Shanti, the DigiOne Signature player can finally play with the big boys. Will return with more details and mods performed on my Shanti.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:22 PM, dtossan said:

Hi unique

Do you mean Studer 900?

Is you Jung-type super reg DIY or a purchased product? Which?

When you say Shanti wiped the floor with the previous setup - you mean Shanti was dramatically better?

I'm considering Studer 900 as well as Jung-type super reg. But maybe Shanti is the better way.

Den

Hi Den,

Yes I meant Studer900, typo :) The Jung type super reg is diy based on the "ucc golden reference regulator" kit. TBH I was very happy with my old setup, but I felt Shanti took it to a different level.

I've had my share of experience with different supplies. Take the famous Paul Hynes SR for example. Used it on the I/V of my old Buffalo DAC, there was an improvement over the "golden reference", though not as dramatic as what the Shanti did to my Digione sig player. This is obviously comparing apples to oranges, but I feel that Shanti is great at what it does regardless of price.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 4:34 PM, matthias said:

Thanks for sharing.

Which DAC do you use now?

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've had several DACs in my system through the past few years, including the excellent T+A DAC DSD 8.

I'm currently infatuated with the Sparkler S504u, an antithesis of the state-of-the-art T+A DAC. I have a similar source+amp combo as this review, except (obviously) I have a standalone RPi+Digione Signature transport.

I'm still amazed by this particular implementation of the TDA1543. The truthfulness of its presentation makes the sound feel a lot closer to real performance compared to anything else I've auditioned. 

This may be pure speculation, but I find the S504u a lot more sensitive to transport quality (or IOW susceptible to jitter) compared to DACs with modern chips. Every improvement I make to the Digione Sig player seems to have a magnified effect on the sound. After upgrading to the Shanti, I feel that the Sparkler combo is now comparable with the T+A in terms of "hi-fi qualities", i.e. details, sound staging, imaging.

Thanks for reading,

Alex

On 8/29/2019 at 5:04 AM, dtossan said:

Thanks for the reply. Understand what you say about apples and oranges. I also believe that great power supplies make big difference. It's notable that the improvement the PH PSU brought to the credible Buffalo DAC is less dramatic than the improvement Shanti brought to the DigiOne Sig.

(BTW, which Paul Hynes? SR4? SR1? Probably not SR7 right?)

Shanti's topology and use of R-Core, choke, superlow noise reg, super capacitor etc is attractive enough. Did you open up the Shanti to see the actual parts used?

Sorry if I was unclear in my previous post. I didn't use full Paul Hynes SR supplies. I ordered shunt regulators PH designed for the Buffalo I/V stage (I believe it was Legato II).

I opened up the Shanti to direct-solder DIY Type-C cables to the PCB and upgrade the IEC socket, but didn't really take notes of the specific parts used.  

The stock cables and connectors are alright, but the mod is inexpensive and brings significant sonic improvement.

fef507dfd0982468ffa49c946e10cf63.jpg

4780025e6d52e96cd040182bf96921ef-2.jpg

629b977ddc295d6644911423c4b95ef6-2.jpg

1 hour ago, zacho said:

where do you source your usb c connectors from? And any idea what the maximum awg they can accommodate?

I got mine from a local store.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/usb-connectors/gold-plated-male-usb-c-31-diy-connector-p-13541.html

This looks similar to what I have. It’ll probably work with up to 18awg wires. I once tried 16awg solid core and it didn’t end well lol.

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Hi Alex,

I really appreciate that you have Sparkler Audio gear.

I came across this manufacturer at last years X-Fi Show in the Netherlands and like it very much from all I have read about but have not been able so far to listen to it.

After your description of the musical presentation and the review on PTA I am more curious than ever.

So may I ask you where did you get your Sparklers from?

Did you manage to have some listening prior purchase?

Thank you.

Matt

Hi Matt,

I've been very impressed by the work of Mr. Tsukahara even before Sparkler Audio was founded. Technically, it wasn't even a finished product, but sold as a kit under the 47 Treasure brand.

While it wasn't as refined or detailed as my main amp at the time (a Brinkmann integrated), the liveliness of the presentation made the music enjoyable enough that I almost didn't care about the shortcomings. Well, almost.

The Sparkler Ether retains the great qualities of the 0347, and checks enough boxes on the "hi-fi" list to earn a permanent spot in my main system. 

I ordered the equipment directly from Sparkler Audio. There seems to be a distributor in the EU, so that's also an option. I was familiar enough with Mr. Tsukahara's design philosophy that I didn't bother to listen prior to purchase, though I probably could have.

Hope that helps,

Alex

9 hours ago, zacho said:

I'm actually using a Ciunas ISOPS w/ a Gotham GAC4. I am currently considering other DC cable options just to feed my curiosity. The Gotham GAC 4 presents a more palpable sound with a more liquid midrange compared to the stock cables that came with the ISOPS.

I currently am thinking of trying the VH Audio CU21 and the Oyaide FTVS-910.

Speaking of VH Audio, I’ve had great results using their cotton-insulated silver wires (as interconnects). May be worth considering.

7 hours ago, mtavares said:

Did anyone has the Shanti and previous Allo PSU?

Could describe the difference feedding the Shanti clean side of the Digione Signature and swapping the "dirt" side of the Digione Signature with the Shanti and the original Allo PSU?

Thanks,

QJA

Marcos

I still remember being impressed by the Digione sig using its stock adapter and iFi iPower.

Now that I have listened to the player powered by the Shanti, the old configuration sounds broken. It’s simply not on the same level.

3 hours ago, Pablor said:

This may be the wrong place to ask but here it goes...

my shanti power supply came with 2 adapters, usbc and one that fits the raspberry pi. It did not come with 2 usbc’s to power the clean and dirty sides. I thought you had to power the hat and that would power the rpi. It works fine without dirty power to the hat but it’s different from all instructions. Do I need a second usb-c? Should it have come with it?

thx!

Mine came with only one 5.5x2.1mm to Type-C adapter as well. So no, it's not a QC issue, but it would've been nice if Allo included two. You need to buy another for the dirty side. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2019 at 5:51 AM, matthias said:

Hi Alex,

OT, but there is a new one, S512.

Matt

Hi Matt, 

Thank you for the info. Looks like Sparkler made a nice workaround to make their DAC compatible with multiple types of inputs.

It would probably work great with sources that have a high quality i2s output (can't say that about the RPi), take their S507 for instance. However, I'd much rather have the conversion unit built with proper power delivery and ample space inside the DAC compared to say, a small adapter on the digital cable.

Maybe I'm too quick to judge, but I don't think this would be a sonic improvement in my setup with Digione Sig+Audiophile Pi.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, suzywong said:

With your new figure of 2000 hours at 105C, then derated accordingly, I would agree.

However your post 115 stated 1000 hours at 105C, then derated accordingly. Hence by your own maths in that post:

Shanti at full load is around 45C inside ...so 1000 x 2x2 x2 x2 x2 = 32k H = 4 years

However at no load Shanti is at 35C (dont remember the exact number) = 8 years

I suggested in post 116, that 10 years was more likely (which I consider acceptable for consumer electronics). Your maths now appears to agree. 

We have pretty different expectations. I’d be quite happy if my flatscreen lasts over five years.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dtossan said:

Dear Superdad, a number of people have been experimenting with adding ultracaps to the output of LPS and found sonic benefits.

Several LPS have UCs as part of the design, including Allo's Shanti and Farad's Super3 etc. IanCanada has done a lot of work and reported SQ benefits with UCs. See https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/327105-develop-ultra-capacitor-power-supply-lifepo4-battery-power-supply.html

Greg Stewart has found that increasing the capacity of UCs delivers better SQ. See #430

Of course, we must not forget the venerable LPS-1.2.

Denis

And since Superdad runs the company making the LPS-1.2, you may want to heed his advice ;) 

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 8:21 PM, matthias said:

Interesting that the description of the new S512 is not DAC but DA processor.

AFAIK, the conversion units are powered from the main unit.

Would be nice to compare S512 to S504.

Matt

This is long overdue, but big thanks to Matt for bringing up the S512. 

The S512 deserves "D/A processor" or whatever name Sparkler Audio deems appropriate, for it is deserving of its own category! 

I've auditioned a number of DACs at different price points over the past few years, including the highly regarded dCS Bartok and T+A DAC8 DSD. The S512 sets itself apart in terms of tonal correctness and involvement. Yes, there are hi-end DACs that can pump out more details and soundstage, yet somehow with the S512, the sound (especially vocals) is so "real" to the point that I can feel the emotions the musicians are conveying.

A recent trip to the local Focal dealer gave me an even better perspective of the performance of my electronics.

I've been itching for a speaker upgrade for quite a while, and the Sopra 2 seemed to be a good fit. The mids and imaging was full, and the bass performance was impressive for its size, but the treble didn't meet expectations despite the supposedly great IAL3 tweeter design.

The dealer recommended the Diablo Utopia, and I was immediately impressed. It was clearly a step up from the Sopra 2 in every way except for bass and the sense of scale. The clarity and amount of details was astonishing. However, fatigue starts to set in after a few songs, which immediately raised a red flag.

I did a bit of internet research after getting home, and there seems to be a consensus amongst users that the Diablo Utopia is "ruthlessly revealing" and "require expensive components and cabling". The dealer paired a YBA CDP and an Aavik integrated with the Diablo, which I believe qualify as expensive (at least relative to Allo and Sparkler). I felt discouraged and almost backed away from the purchase. 

Then my very supportive wife, who has little interest in audiophoolery but blessed with golden ears, told me what we had sounded great, and the new speakers should feel right at home.

And she was right again! My new system sounds open, fast, extremely detailed with pinpoint imaging and sparkling highs. Yet at the same time it felt natural, tonally correct, involving without a hint of harshness. Wow. From what I read, I was expecting a 100hr-500hr run-in period that's supposedly unlistenable, but I've been enjoying the music from the very first minute. 

I always knew that Allo and Sparkler products punch far above their weight, and now I'm certain their place is among the truly high end.

IMG_3149.jpeg

20 hours ago, matthias said:

@uniquesnowflake

Congratulations,

superb set-up and a minimalist listening room, I like it.

Which version of the S512 do you have, I suppose USB?

Which Sparkler amp? Ether or Fluegel?

Thanks and enjoy.-)

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the kind comments. I wish I had a listening room like that, my system is in an oddly shaped living space. I’ll upload more photos later and you’ll see what I mean ;)

I ordered a custom spdif version with BNC connector. I own a Digione Sig mounted on a Usbridge Sig, and I’d take WM8804 over PCM270x any day of the week.

I asked Mr. Tsukahara the very same question, and he told me that in terms of SQ, the Ether is superior. I do wonder if my space and speakers can use a bit more power, and would like to try the Fluegel. 

The problem is my video shares the same system, and I don’t want to switch S512 modules or add a preamp/source selector. Oh well.

This is what the space actually looks like. Asymmetrical shape, *huge* glass windows, and double height ceiling. 

I love this living space. But back when we were renovating, I dreaded that the space would make my system unlistenable. 

...yet it turned out fine. In fact more than fine. The little 7w Sparkler Ether somehow fills the entire space with great sound (barring torturous stuff like Mahler Symphony No.8 😉). 

IMG_0085.thumb.jpeg.d562e357a1c9ec2139e08a30c13b03a8.jpeg

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, mhhd said:

Hi,

May I ask where you optained the cables and the IEC socket?

I am in the mood to do some mods :-)

Thank you very much.

I've since updated the Shanti with new cables and plugs from VHAudio and Oyaide, respectively. The VHAudio V-Quad works great for DC applications, even better than the OCC silver wires I used previously.

The 3-in-1 IEC are from Aucharm. I'd use a Furutech NCF, but adding a separate fuse holder and switch was too much of a hassle.

Hope this helps!

IMG_1671.jpeg