AudioDoctor

McIntosh debuts new C53 preamp and DA2 DAC Module

Rate this topic

I was surprised to see the news of a new DAC module from McIntosh, I was not expecting this to come soon at all. Now to figure out how to get my hands on the new DAC module.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marksparrow/2019/07/10/mcintosh-unveils-its-new-preamplifier-with-upgradable-dac-module-and-multiple-inputs/#2691e1d7d57c

“Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be One.” – Marcus Aurelius

what are all those things between the AC in and the DAC module?  - they look like rubber grommets

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

what are all those things between the AC in and the DAC module?  - they look like rubber grommets

It's a secret, you have to buy a Mcintosh amp to find out...  

“Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be One.” – Marcus Aurelius

Just heard back from the dealer here, they don't know how to get the DA2 module yet either, but they're going to find out.

with all that blue light it must be packed full of MQA!!

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

So, where’s the RJ45 or AES3 connectors?

There aren't any...

15 hours ago, One and a half said:

At least an RJ45 would be a minimum, is Macintosh a Roon end point?

No.

Looks like the new DAC might be an ESS Sabre 9038 Pro. I couldn't find it written anywhere yet, but looking at the DAC performance specs listed around, they look like top-end Sabre ones. Not that that means a whole lot, but it's something to mention. 

I'm always on the fence about the MHA150, which I feel is pretty similar to the their low range pres. This C53 has a headphone amp onboard too. 

I suspect the analog section is what makes the men or mensch different form the boys.

Mac makes high quality products, but this looks like it is aimed primarily at the rich guy wants a sound system market, not the "best SQ market" - Note that it was first covered by Forbes (maybe embargoed a day or two to others?), and the lack of certain facilities such as Roon.

55 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I suspect the analog section is what makes the men or mensch different form the boys.

Mac makes high quality products, but this looks like it is aimed primarily at the rich guy wants a sound system market, not the "best SQ market" - Note that it was first covered by Forbes (maybe embargoed a day or two to others?), and the lack of certain facilities such as Roon.

Actually the news was everywhere that day, I just saw the Forbes link first. I don't think that is a fair characterization of the C53 either.

3 hours ago, Ben-M said:

Looks like the new DAC might be an ESS Sabre 9038 Pro. I couldn't find it written anywhere yet, but looking at the DAC performance specs listed around, they look like top-end Sabre ones. Not that that means a whole lot, but it's something to mention. 

I'm always on the fence about the MHA150, which I feel is pretty similar to the their low range pres. This C53 has a headphone amp onboard too. 

I am going to wait on the DA2 module until I know that it is a worthwhile upgrade and that the fade in problem has been solved.

I like new shit. The DA1 module got better reviews than I expected, and if they've moved on to a DA2, that's awesome. The more varieties and configurations that're out there, the happier I am. 

On 7/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Actually the news was everywhere that day, I just saw the Forbes link first. I don't think that is a fair characterization of the C53 either.

my comment was based on my own Google news feed - it brought up the Forbes article, and a search hit nothing else

to understand the market for an tiem, I look at where ads are placed (those these weren't ads)

I'm not dissing Mac - I own stuff from a sister company