IGNORED

McIntosh debuts new C53 preamp and DA2 DAC Module

Looks like the new DAC might be an ESS Sabre 9038 Pro. I couldn't find it written anywhere yet, but looking at the DAC performance specs listed around, they look like top-end Sabre ones. Not that that means a whole lot, but it's something to mention. 

I'm always on the fence about the MHA150, which I feel is pretty similar to the their low range pres. This C53 has a headphone amp onboard too. 

I suspect the analog section is what makes the men or mensch different form the boys.

Mac makes high quality products, but this looks like it is aimed primarily at the rich guy wants a sound system market, not the "best SQ market" - Note that it was first covered by Forbes (maybe embargoed a day or two to others?), and the lack of certain facilities such as Roon.

55 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I suspect the analog section is what makes the men or mensch different form the boys.

Mac makes high quality products, but this looks like it is aimed primarily at the rich guy wants a sound system market, not the "best SQ market" - Note that it was first covered by Forbes (maybe embargoed a day or two to others?), and the lack of certain facilities such as Roon.

Actually the news was everywhere that day, I just saw the Forbes link first. I don't think that is a fair characterization of the C53 either.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, Ben-M said:

Looks like the new DAC might be an ESS Sabre 9038 Pro. I couldn't find it written anywhere yet, but looking at the DAC performance specs listed around, they look like top-end Sabre ones. Not that that means a whole lot, but it's something to mention. 

I'm always on the fence about the MHA150, which I feel is pretty similar to the their low range pres. This C53 has a headphone amp onboard too. 

I am going to wait on the DA2 module until I know that it is a worthwhile upgrade and that the fade in problem has been solved.

No electron left behind.

On 7/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Actually the news was everywhere that day, I just saw the Forbes link first. I don't think that is a fair characterization of the C53 either.

my comment was based on my own Google news feed - it brought up the Forbes article, and a search hit nothing else

to understand the market for an tiem, I look at where ads are placed (those these weren't ads)

I'm not dissing Mac - I own stuff from a sister company

• 6 months later...

I received my upgrade recently.

The good news? The fade-in issue is solved versus the DA1. Plus, my Linux-based devices can now directly stream DSD128 and DSD256 (I don't have any DSD512 content to try yet). I do love that.

The sound quality isn't appreciably different from the DA1. It does seem that it isn't as well level-matched as the DA1 (I seem to need 1.5 dB of gain to get it to be equal to the analog inputs), which is....odd.

It uses the ES9028PRO DAC, not the 9038, which might explain the lack of appreciable sound improvement over the DA1. It also has a Cirrus Logic CS495314-CVZ onboard, ostensibly to take care of the DSP and HDMI features that are touted.

6 hours ago, ddps said:

my Linux-based devices can now directly stream DSD128 and DSD256 (I don't have any DSD512 content to try yet).

This is good news.  Does it use an XMOS chip?  That would really help with Linux compatibility.

Disclosure: We have McIntosh users using our streamers so I really care about that.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 4 months later...