IGNORED

Article: PS Audio DirectStream DAC (Snowmass) Full Review

4 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I’m not sure how best to answer your question. In my various systems I feed the DACS with an opticalRendu, ultraRendu and microRendu. I certainly don’t expect every DAC reviewer to feed the review sample with one of those but I would suggest that my setup or similar is far more common than yours. 

“All I can say is that in my listening experience, this part of the chain makes a profound impact on sound quality, and I have invested accordingly.”

I don’t follow your “massively improve” thread closely but have skimmed it enough to know that the belief is that various tweaks and modifications affect different components in different ways. That is to say, with the three DACS you compared, your finely tuned upstream might have lifted two veils with one DAC, four veils with the second one and no veils with the third one. For me at least, that removes some of the value of the comparison. 

You did some listening with the DirectStream the way most people would, didn’t care for it and finished the rest of your review with your modifications. I personally would have preferred a different methodology but that certainly doesn’t negate the validity of your conclusions. Thanks for taking the time. 

Fair enough. Thanks for your comments.

7 hours ago, chrille said:

Nice read though from austinpop again,although I would have preferred more recent hi res symphonic classical music than Solti's Mahler 8?

Imho MTT's Mahler 8 with the SSF is a better recording than the 70s DECCA.

It is if I am not wrong also a native dsd recording?

I do rank MTT/SFS's Mahler's cycle as my favorite, because BOTH the recordings and the performances are wonderful, but there are exceptions for individual symphonies. For the 8th, Solti's version, for me, beats all others on the sheer beauty of the performance. Yes, the 70's Decca recording is - adequate - but I will say that the 24/96 remaster on the Blu-ray release does have much better SQ.