The Computer Audiophile

Article: My New Speakers Have Arrived!

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Still not the wide path you are on with the Wilsons and room treatment.  

The drivers in the TADs , like the drivers in the Wilsons , disperse.   In the above photo you are not addressing timing issues, first reflections, as you are in your new set up.  

This is is exactly why I feel an ab comparison is of no value.  

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

3 minutes ago, HIFI said:

Still not the wide path you are on with the Wilsons and room treatment.  

The drivers in the TADs , like the drivers in the Wilsons , disperse.   In the above photo you are not addressing timing issues, first reflections, as you are in your new set up.  

This is is exactly why I feel an ab comparison is of no value.  

The acoustic diffusers and absorbers went in shortly after that article. 

Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The acoustic diffusers and absorbers went in shortly after that article. 

So.... Now I’m thinking.  

You have two different , somewhat, approaches to helping you set up your speakers in your room.  The first people used, as you said, some of the same voicing technics to place the TADs as did the folks from Wilson.   With that said I would assume the baffles of the Wilsons are likely in a near identical spot (distance from front wall) as the TADs were.  Please tell me if I’m accurate.

What are you thinking about your approach to bass room management?

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

12 hours ago, Paul R said:

What you need to do is throw an audiophile listening party. I am sure you would be many volunteers to come listen and help!  :) 

-Paul 

At 260 pounds per speaker, he'll need those friends to help him move them around. 

Little locking casters, screwed in where the spikes will go, would be quite a useful customer nicety.  Once you find the location, mark and swap spikes for casters.

They came with casters installed and spikes in the toolkit.  The manual quite sensibly suggests carefully laying the speaker on its side to switch them out.

I've been waiting expectantly to see if the Wilson installer arrives carrying one of their Wilson speaker jacks or goes by the book.  Practiced skill vs customer ease of mind.  This is a serious question if @The Computer Audiophile cares to address it in his article.

19 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I can’t say never, but the better models are all very large. I don’t have the height in my room for even the next model up, the Alexx. 

Yeah, it looks like your room would not accommodate a pair of WAMM Master Chronosonics.

Thanks for the superb Adcom insight. Must, however, question your new speaker choice. A pair of (e.g., Walnut) Klipschorns are 15k, not 20k, and certainly not 57+k. If your goal is to approach live listening, and you have the room for them (57+k implies you do), have you ever actually listened to a proper demonstration (with center-fill?) of the K-horns playing your taste in music?

6 minutes ago, djwusmc said:

Thanks for the superb Adcom insight. Must, however, question your new speaker choice. A pair of (e.g., Walnut) Klipschorns are 15k, not 20k, and certainly not 57+k. If your goal is to approach live listening, and you have the room for them (57+k implies you do), have you ever actually listened to a proper demonstration (with center-fill?) of the K-horns playing your taste in music?

I haven’t heard Klipsch horns in a long time. I’m a big fan of Klipsch. Some of my first speakers in college were the KG 5.5. Loved them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

Congratulations on your purchase.

I purchased a pair of Alexia 2s shortly after they were released.  I still love them.  They reward careful installation, careful room setup, improvements in upstream components, and well-recorded vinyl and digital sources.  Interestingly, in my room (which suffers from excess wall and floor vibration) they sounded better on Aurio Pro isolation devices than on spikes.

When is Wilson coming to perfect your setup?

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

Would love to hear your system. 

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

Was merely pointing out the subs aren't the model you mentioned.  Instead one specially designed for those $645K monstrosities.  Promise, I don't go in for anything quite that outlandish.