The Computer Audiophile

Article: My New Speakers Have Arrived!

Rate this topic

Damn, those crates!  That's going to be a hell of a test of friendship finding someone who can store them. Know anyone who runs a storage business?

I take continuing abuse from my family because I have every box (with all contents) for all the camera gear I own, and for all the audio gear acquired in the last decade. I've done a couple of upgrades in the last few years, and always make a huge point (to the point of my wife saying STFU about it...) of having the boxes and packing material. It definitely increases sales prices, and definitely makes me more relaxed about whether stuff is properly packed for shipping.

Those speakers are huge. I'll be interested to see how the work in your new listening space. I upgraded from GoldenEar Triton 2 to Triton Reference in our NJ home - where the listening area was large end to end and side to side, ceilings a couple stories up. In our new place, with lower ceilings and one long room, without being open on each side, the speakers are noticeably overkill. 

much nicer color!

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

I like this color.  Lucky you on a ground floor (or maybe not, if that ivy is on a roof gable).  If I recall those bass cabinets were about 200 pounds each, and we had to use an electric lift to get them upstairs.

will it be able to rattle that access door?

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

Where is the Turntable?  In matching red?

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->Topping NX4 DSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...

30 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

I like this color.  Lucky you on a ground floor (or maybe not, if that ivy is on a roof gable).  If I recall those bass cabinets were about 200 pounds each, and we had to use an electric lift to get them upstairs.

These are up 14 stairs on the second floor. The piano movers called it a nasty stairway 😁

Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

What’s needed here is a break in party:)

Would you believe the police here are so nice that once you've asserted commitment.  They register you for elite services where you can win all sorts of special prizes on each and every visit.  🚔     🎰    🚔

@The Computer Audiophile "Arrest Me Red" was a good choice for the new listening room.  Stay cool up there this weekend.

OK, enough about the toil and bling and such.  I’m sure you have fired them up by now so tell us how your first listen was! 😎

Analog:  VPI Scoutmaster / Shelter 501MkII, Sony XRD1 HD FM, Nakamichi BX-300  Music Server:  i7-6700K/Asus RTX2080 OC Gaming, HQPlayer

DACs:  dCS Debussy, Lampizator Golden Atlantic, McIntosh D150 / MCT450 CD/SACD

Digital Add-ons:  Uptone JS-2s and LPS-1s, ISO REGENS     NAA:  NUCs (2), SoTM SMS-200 Ultra / tX-USB Ultra / Network Switch Clock Mod

Preamp:  McIntosh C500P (SS)   Amp:  McIntosh MC452

Speakers:  Wilson Yvette    Signal Cables:  Transparent Ultra Gen V    Power Cables:  Shunyata and PS Audio

GIK Room Treatments   PS Audio P10 AC Regenerators (2)  Dedicated 20 AMP AC circuit

So I have a question for you . . .

I assume your room analysis  measurements show the normal bass issues that are part of all Two Channel listening rooms.  What are/did you doing/do to address those opportunities?

I'm admiring your project Chris. 

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

I'm surprised such big speakers don't need more distance from the walls to sound their best.

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

7 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'm surprised such big speakers don't need more distance from the walls to sound their best.

And I am completely convinced they could sound better in a larger room....

I am also convinced that once set up in that smaller room they will completely vanish and leave , in their place, a wonderful hologram of artist and original recorded  room sound. 

7146F9DE-6C91-442B-ABAD-7E1EC36CD414.jpeg

319B035E-1AE8-4B0F-B804-DB54742A18D2.jpeg

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

44 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

A lot of armchair engineering here. 

So let me rephrase, because I didn't mean to critique your setup.  I don't know enough to do that.  I'd like to understand why your new speakers can sound amazing without needing more distance from the walls.  I'm sure you already took this into consideration.

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10 Version 1903/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

13 minutes ago, rickca said:

So let me rephrase, because I didn't mean to critique your setup.  I don't know enough to do that.  I'd like to understand why your new speakers can sound amazing without needing more distance from the walls.  I'm sure you already took this into consideration.

No worries critiquing the setup. That’s how we all learn.

Given the dimensions of my room, asymmetrical walls, peaked ceiling, and mixture of absorption and diffusion acoustics, perhaps you could explain why the speakers need more distance from the walls?

When I recently adjusted my room using a hybrid approach of the Wilson setup procedure and RPG software, this is the location that worked best. It’s a starting point for these speakers and more adjustments are required to get the best performance. 

Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

"absorption and diffusion" is the key

maybe say:  it would be easier to get them to sound better in a bigger room