IGNORED

How much amplifier power do you realy need?

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

If the cables matter, either you have a really good amplifier in which case the cables really don't matter or really really bad cables.

If you have a rig where "cables matter", then the SQ good enough to make it quite apparent when the integrity of the link from the amplifier circuitry to the speaker drivers alters - a lesser quality in the sound masks variations in this integrity.

Which means that the best solution is substantially improve the integrity of the link - if done correctly, then cable matters completely vanish, as an issue.

8 hours ago, sandyk said:

Not necessarily. Note the very fast rise and fall times in the attached from " Yim Hoh_Man-Poem of Chinese Drum."

Click on the image a few times for a much larger image.

Yim Hoh_Man-Poem of Chinese Drum.jpg

If I'm reading that right, the time scale has 20 ms/tick. That's not capable of showing "very fast" rise times. You need to zoom in by a factor of 1000 or so.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

If I'm reading that right, the time scale has 20 ms/tick. That's not capable of showing "very fast" rise times. You need to zoom in by a factor of 1000 or so.

It is much faster than many insist is essentially below 100HZ content.

Yim Hoh_Man-Poem of Chinese Drum

Click on the images several times for a larger image.

Chinese Drum 1.jpg

Chinese Drum 2.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

15 hours ago, sandyk said:

Not necessarily. Note the very fast rise and fall times in the attached from " Yim Hoh_Man-Poem of Chinese Drum."

Click on the image a few times for a much larger image.

Yim Hoh_Man-Poem of Chinese Drum.jpg

Sorry I don’t understand what you are trying to say with that and how it is related to my explanation.

The bass woofer is bigger than the mids and treble woofers. Ok? The reason the bass membrane is bigger is because it is made to move much more air, which is needed to be able to produce a low-frequency wave. If you take a big 15’ bass woofer you can see that the magnets is big and heavy, much bigger than on the mid and treble woofer/tweeter. The membrane is also bigger and stiffer and it will take much more force e.g. power to get a bigger woofer to move in and out. When a woofer or tweeter moves, it will move the volume of air in front of it that is correlated to the area of the woofer and its stroke.

Let us test this. Take a big and much smaller painting (or something equally in differences sizes) and move them back and forth in the air in front of you and you will feel the difference and can understand that to move a big woofer you need more power than to move a small woofer.

Note that a small woofer or tweeter can’t produce low frequency bass. It’s because it can’t move sufficient amount of air to make a low-frequency wave.

6 hours ago, sandyk said:

It is much faster than many insist is essentially below 100HZ content.

Yim Hoh_Man-Poem of Chinese Drum

Click on the images several times for a larger image.

Chinese Drum 1.jpg

Chinese Drum 2.jpg

Is a rise time of ~2 ms supposed to be fast? What are you trying to prove here? Also, what's with the clipping? I'm not sure that's a good sample for any purpose.

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Is a rise time of ~2 ms supposed to be fast? What are you trying to prove here? Also, what's with the clipping? I'm not sure that's a good sample for any purpose.

Re :

Low-frequency (bass) sound has long wavelength (many meters long) while the high-end waves (treble) has much shorter wavelength of just a few millimetre

I was simply pointing out that Bass isn't composed of just  low frequency sine waves of <100HZ  as many appear to believe.

In other words, Bass notes aren't always handled solely by the LF driver.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

7 hours ago, Summit said:

Sorry I don’t understand what you are trying to say with that and how it is related to my explanation.

The bass woofer is bigger than the mids and treble woofers. Ok? The reason the bass membrane is bigger is because it is made to move much more air, which is needed to be able to produce a low-frequency wave. If you take a big 15’ bass woofer you can see that the magnets is big and heavy, much bigger than on the mid and treble woofer/tweeter. The membrane is also bigger and stiffer and it will take much more force e.g. power to get a bigger woofer to move in and out. When a woofer or tweeter moves, it will move the volume of air in front of it that is correlated to the area of the woofer and its stroke.

Let us test this. Take a big and much smaller painting (or something equally in differences sizes) and move them back and forth in the air in front of you and you will feel the difference and can understand that to move a big woofer you need more power than to move a small woofer.

Note that a small woofer or tweeter can’t produce low frequency bass. It’s because it can’t move sufficient amount of air to make a low-frequency wave.

I am fully aware of what you are saying here, but that wasn't my point.

See my previous recent  reply.

50 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I was simply pointing out that Bass isn't composed of just  low frequency sine waves of <100HZ  as many appear to believe.

In other words, Bass notes aren't always handled solely by the LF driver.

Bass is by definition low frequencies. Obviously, a bass note played on a particular instrument may contain higher frequency components. So what? And what does your drum sample have to do with anything?

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

And what does your drum sample have to do with anything?

That's for other members to decide, not you.

1. 12 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

ok then, I'll decide: Nothing

I said Members. Not the most prolific poster in the forum of non pertinent information.

An interesting exercise to try out: create two versions of that clip; one where there is nothing above say 80Hz; and another where there is nothing below that 80Hz; brickwall filtering to completely eliminate the unwanted frequencies ... and see which is the "more interesting" to listen to, ^_^.

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

An interesting exercise to try out: create two versions of that clip; one where there is nothing above say 80Hz; and another where there is nothing below that 80Hz; brickwall filtering to completely eliminate the unwanted frequencies ... and see which is the "more interesting" to listen to, ^_^.

Frank

Go for it !

I will PM you a link to that clip to download it.

Alex