IGNORED

Least Complex and Most Affordable Way To Get Tidal For My Brothers System?

As the title indicates, I'm trying to identify the lease expensive way to get Tidal to my brother's audio system. He will benefit tremendously from it. His system consists of some high quality bookshelf speakers, a very nice  tubed integrated amplifier (yes, it was a gift from me), and Marantz SA8005 CD/SACD player< The Marantz is a great little performer, and has a surprisingly good DAC and features related to its flexibility. From Music Direct's ad:

"Asynchronous Audiophile DAC and USB Inputs Expand Listening Options
Built in the Marantz Reference Japanese factory, SA8005 doubles as an exquisite SACD/CD player and future-proof audiophile DAC designed for multiple digital-audio sources. Its USB inputs handle up to 2x DSD content, so any file from MP3 up to 24-bit/192kHz will sound absolutely astonishing. Plus, SA8005's asynchronous USB input allows you to use the player's tremendous DAC and high-quality output stage with HDAM-SA2 modules when playing computer-audio files. Marantz's cutting-edge ground/signal isolator technology eliminates PC noise in the process. And a front-panel USB port means that connection to iDevices is just one simple step away."

And so, the question again is, how can he cheaply and easily get access to Tidal for his system. The less complex the better, he is older than old school in the way he looks at things. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JC

I see the Marantz SA8005 accepts coax, optical, and USB digital inputs. This means there will be all kinds of ways to get Tidal into your brother's system, but "least complex and most affordable" depends on what kind of smartphone or tablet he's using. If he has an Android device, the lc/ma route is probably to find a Chromecast Audio on eBay or Amazon (Google no longer makes them) and use the CCA's optical output into the Marantz. I run Tidal like this for convenience, but I also have my DAC connected to a PC via USB, and for better audio quality I usually use BubbleUPnP on my phone or tablet and send the signal to a DLNA renderer on the PC (JRiver). But I wouldn't recommend that for older than old school, at least to start. The Tidal to CCA setup will definitely be easy to understand and use.

If he has an iPhone you can probably do something similar with Airplay. Apple no longer makes the Airport Express, but my brother had a couple of spares, so I tried it. Unfortunately, it wouldn't sync properly with my DAC. The DAC manufacturer said the old Airport Express has too much jitter. However, if your brother is using Apple devices and you can borrow an Airport Express this is worth trying.

If you're handy with computers you can connect to the DAC's USB using something like an inexpensive Raspberry Pi, but I think this would tend to get too complex.

6 hours ago, Daccord said:

I see the Marantz SA8005 accepts coax, optical, and USB digital inputs. This means there will be all kinds of ways to get Tidal into your brother's system, but "least complex and most affordable" depends on what kind of smartphone or tablet he's using. If he has an Android device, the lc/ma route is probably to find a Chromecast Audio on eBay or Amazon (Google no longer makes them) and use the CCA's optical output into the Marantz. I run Tidal like this for convenience, but I also have my DAC connected to a PC via USB, and for better audio quality I usually use BubbleUPnP on my phone or tablet and send the signal to a DLNA renderer on the PC (JRiver). But I wouldn't recommend that for older than old school, at least to start. The Tidal to CCA setup will definitely be easy to understand and use.

If he has an iPhone you can probably do something similar with Airplay. Apple no longer makes the Airport Express, but my brother had a couple of spares, so I tried it. Unfortunately, it wouldn't sync properly with my DAC. The DAC manufacturer said the old Airport Express has too much jitter. However, if your brother is using Apple devices and you can borrow an Airport Express this is worth trying.

If you're handy with computers you can connect to the DAC's USB using something like an inexpensive Raspberry Pi, but I think this would tend to get too complex.

Thanks for the reply and the ideas, and my brother does have an iPhone. I was using Airplay (via Airport Express) for a long time to route an online music site to my DAC via optical cable from the Airport Express. Unfortunately, thats really no longer an option. I purchased not one, but two refurbished Airport Express units from Apple,and both died within 4-6 months, as did one a friend purchased. Three strikes and out!

JC

16 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Its USB inputs handle up to 2x DSD content, so any file from MP3 up to 24-bit/192kHz will sound absolutely astonishing.

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Sounds good, but how does it route from his iPhone to be available on his integrated exactly? 

JC 

I might have missed step where phone pops up a message when you plug other end of USB cord in.  Tell it to use the phone as an audio device or similar.

Super simple stuff.

6 hours ago, rando said:

I might have missed step where phone pops up a message when you plug other end of USB cord in.  Tell it to use the phone as an audio device or similar.

Super simple stuff.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. So, he needs a cable with an apple connector at one end (to attach to his iPhone, and a USB connector at the other end, which he plugs into the DAC available from his Marantz cd player? Could he also insert his Mac laptop in place of the  iPhone to run Tidal? Sorry if this seems simplistic, I've simply no experience with the Mac world, or or iPhones and/or Android phones running Tidal. My Tidal access comes from a microrendo/Roon setup and another UltraRendu/Roon setup. 

JC

54 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Thanks, I appreciate the help. So, he needs a cable with an apple connector at one end (to attach to his iPhone, and a USB connector at the other end, which he plugs into the DAC available from his Marantz cd player? Could he also insert his Mac laptop in place of the  iPhone to run Tidal? Sorry if this seems simplistic, I've simply no experience with the Mac world, or or iPhones and/or Android phones running Tidal. My Tidal access comes from a microrendo/Roon setup and another UltraRendu/Roon setup. 

JC

He should use the Apple CCK (Camera Connection kit). Any iDevices is OK

The lightening cable goes to the charger. The USB to the DAC. 

I use use this solution in my car with an iPhone 5S. 

If he ever do Roon, this will also work as a perfect endpoint. 

Of cause any computer or Mac will work. 

If you don’t use USB, the SPDIF output from a chrome-cast Audio will work.

Or even an old Apple TV. 

Does he have an iPhone? Or how do he get access to Tidal ?

I'm basing this off your quoted manufacturers product description.  But yeah, it should be just that simple.  Based on where we're discussing this I kept my first post brief.  Least complex and simplest route to high fidelity are in order the replies you got.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:28 AM, TubeLover said:

SA8005 doubles as an exquisite SACD/CD player and future-proof audiophile DAC designed for multiple digital-audio sources.

Edit: Could have specified the CCK was needed as stated in post above.

I think to play Tidal MQA (if dac is compatible) you need to run something like mconnectHD on the iOS device. Im not sure if the Tidal app can do it. I agree that you need the Apple CCK. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

8 hours ago, MarkS said:

I think to play Tidal MQA (if dac is compatible) you need to run something like mconnectHD on the iOS device. Im not sure if the Tidal app can do it. I agree that you need the Apple CCK. 

The latest Tidal app can play MQA over the CCK connector natively, and the app does the first unfold.  I've done it myself using my Dragonfly DAC and it sounds pretty good too.  I like that with the CCK adapter I can stay plugged in to power too for the phone as the playback drains the battery.  I ride the NYC subway with this setup and headphones and I'm probably the only person in the entire subway doing this.  I just download what I want to hear before I leave the house as you don't get a signal underground.  I've been playing Solti's Wagner Ring cycle in MQA.

So, your brother will need an iPhone, the CCK adapter ($39 I think), a USB cable and that's it.  

cool, thanks for providing this information.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.