IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - High Capacity Micro SD Card

21 minutes ago, Melvin said:

My first listen this morning was quite positive but it was much too brief to declare/decide anything just yet. I look forward to some play time this evening and over the weekend. I'd like to sort out the cover art issue first.

Where did  you tell Rigelian to find cover art? IIRC it should be http:// (IP address of Rendu)/music (or name of your local music folder)

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

1 hour ago, Axiom05 said:

Where did  you tell Rigelian to find cover art? IIRC it should be http:// (IP address of Rendu)/music (or name of your local music folder)

I didn't, it was all automatic. It finds and reports the correct address and folder, at least I think it does (music plays), but I could be wrong. I emailed the developer but haven't heard back yet. When I get home from work today I'll futz with it to see if I can figure out what is amiss.

So, cover art .. I've perused the Rigelian settings, scant documentation, the developers website, and emailed the developer for enlightenment but am still am clueless how to get cover art to show. Here is a screenshot showing what appears to be the correct path:

1069312042_coverart.thumb.jpg.58bd552a67932eb3e7566b36c0c3a897.jpg

This screenshot was generated by a long-press on the album, then selecting "Cover Assistant". 

In the meantime, the sound quality is as @vortecjr mentioned .. fantastic.

Never mind the cover art .. I don't care.

The library took a few hours to load. Not bad at all, really. It's hard not to comment on the sound quality even at this point. I've played some very familiar favorites and yes, there is a difference in sound quality, an improvement across the board. Piano is a revelation. For those of us with libraries under 400 GB this is a nice option. I love the simplicity and it's fast. Jesus, a most definite value-added option for an already great product.

Just a follow-up .. Berrie, the developer of Rigelian, nicely got back to me. He mentioned a couple of things, one being the cover art retrieval via Gracenote is broken and will be replaced in the next version of the app. He also mentioned being unable to find out if Sonicorbitor supports cover art. I linked this thread in my reply. Perhaps he will join the conversation.

On 7/6/2019 at 8:51 AM, vortecjr said:

I don’t expect them to be available for another month. These are cost plus and the cards are currently $449 so the final price will be $549. As the cost of these goes down over time we will evaluate thing again. 

I see class 10 SanDisk Ultras on Amazon for $50.  Are the micro SD cards you are selling for $275 different other than the software written on them?

When my SonicOrbiter needs updating on my new Signature Rendu SE optical I will get one of the larger cards.  Just trying to understand the costs.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

25 minutes ago, fpalm69 said:

I see class 10 SanDisk Ultras on Amazon for $50.  Are the micro SD cards you are selling for $275 different other than the software written on them?

When my SonicOrbiter needs updating on my new Signature Rendu SE optical I will get one of the larger cards.  Just trying to understand the costs.

We are not using the Ultras...we are using the Extreme.

23 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We are not using the Ultras...we are using the Extreme.

OK, I see the Extreme 400GB is $93 and the 512GB is $150.  

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

Wondering if the storage on Rendu could be seen and accessed by Roon?

Then, would Roon pick up the files from storage (Rendu), drag them over Ethernet to core and then pass them off, again over Ethernet, to the endpoint (Rendu)?

Or, what might be really cool, does Roon tell storage (Rendu), to send files directly to the endpoint (Rendu)?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

GrantN 

26 minutes ago, Gnnett said:

Wondering if the storage on Rendu could be seen and accessed by Roon?

Then, would Roon pick up the files from storage (Rendu), drag them over Ethernet to core and then pass them off, again over Ethernet, to the endpoint (Rendu)?

Or, what might be really cool, does Roon tell storage (Rendu), to send files directly to the endpoint (Rendu)?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

GrantN 

Technically a Rendu with a high capacity drive is a network attached storage. So Roon core on a computer can see the content and then stream the content back to the Rendu via the RoonReady output mode. 

15 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Technically a Rendu with a high capacity drive is a network attached storage. So Roon core on a computer can see the content and then stream the content back to the Rendu via the RoonReady output mode. 

Hmm, I think I need to get one of these, once I have confirmed from the Roon experts, how Roon works.😆

Cheers

GrantN 

2 hours ago, Gnnett said:

Hmm, I think I need to get one of these, once I have confirmed from the Roon experts, how Roon works.😆

Cheers

GrantN 

Oops, according to a Roon expert it was a dumb question. Of course everything goes through the core, so using Roon would result in the URendu performing two tasks, sending audio files to core and receiving them back from core. Doesn't sound like making the Urendu's job easier.

I must admit that  my first experience with computer audio was using Soundirok, so I will go back to this, or MConnect and MPD, to play with this.

Cheers

Grantn

51 minutes ago, Gnnett said:

Oops, according to a Roon expert it was a dumb question. Of course everything goes through the core, so using Roon would result in the URendu performing two tasks, sending audio files to core and receiving them back from core. Doesn't sound like making the Urendu's job easier.

I must admit that  my first experience with computer audio was using Soundirok, so I will go back to this, or MConnect and MPD, to play with this.

Cheers

Grantn

that's correct -- the whole idea of the high capacity sd card is to keep everything within the rendu with files streaming directly out.  i would think using roon would complicate things and probably compromise sound quality.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Right now I am using my Ultrarendu only for streaming Tidal/Qobuz via the Kazoo app.  My set up has no attached server/NAS/computer/etc.  If I get this new SD card to load ripped CD files and use my Ultrarendu as a NAS, will any of the Android controller apps (Kazoo, Bubble UPNP, other?) be able to both control my streaming of Tidal as well as the music files on the SD card?

Thanks,

3 hours ago, littledu said:

Hello,

Right now I am using my Ultrarendu only for streaming Tidal/Qobuz via the Kazoo app.  My set up has no attached server/NAS/computer/etc.  If I get this new SD card to load ripped CD files and use my Ultrarendu as a NAS, will any of the Android controller apps (Kazoo, Bubble UPNP, other?) be able to both control my streaming of Tidal as well as the music files on the SD card?

Thanks,

Yes and no. You really need to pick one method at a time or you will have a bunch of issues. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/6/2019 at 9:51 AM, vortecjr said:

I don’t expect them to be available for another month. These are cost plus and the cards are currently $449 so the final price will be $549. As the cost of these goes down over time we will evaluate thing again. 

@vortecjr   Is there any update on the status of the 1 TB microSD card?  I absolutely love the SQ when using my 400 GB card but it is way too small for my ever growing library.😊

5 hours ago, JohnDonaldson said:

@vortecjr   Is there any update on the status of the 1 TB microSD card?  I absolutely love the SQ when using my 400 GB card but it is way too small for my ever growing library.😊

There has not been much interest in the feature and we have not been working on it. 

• 4 weeks later...

@vortecjr is the entire High Capacity / local playback project cut or just on leave? 🙂

The link you provided on the first page (https://www.sonore.us/SonicOrbiter-OS.html) is now a 404, and if you instead go to the http://www.sonore.us homepage and click the link at the bottom for the SonicOrbiter OS, you are taken to SGC's website, which seems to make no mention of a high capacity option... 

In related news, it would appear that Chord just announced their '2go' device which functions as a streamer and also provides up to 4TB of local storage for playback via SD card...  https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/chord-electronics-2go-and-2yu-bring-streaming-to-hugo-2-and-other-dacs. Sounds very familiar, no?

We'll have to see, but interest in this local playback feature might warm up as current Chord + Rendu owners (such as myself, I have a Qutest and an ultraRendu) consider what they have on-hand vs. what Chord is now offering.